• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Showing character through poses

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I thought I'd share this video (not sure if this is the best place or not) because it has some great discussion on what makes a good pose. It's ostensibly about a recent video game kerfuffle, but even if you aren't a gamer, the discussion of how we express character though poses is great, and it's a good refresher on some art basics.

He also does a little 'exercise' where he shows several poses of the same character, asks which one is best, and then goes through in detail the differences in the poses.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Riccardo

Adventurous
Gadget Girl, best place to share this or not, thank you sooo much!! This is amazing. So interesting. I definitely want to check this guy's other videos. :geek:

3dcheapskate

Engaged
That got me looking through all my old pictures, and I don't think any of them would pass muster!

Sounds like a great idea for a future render challenge too...

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Gadget Girl, best place to share this or not, thank you sooo much!! This is amazing. So interesting. I definitely want to check this guy's other videos. :geek:

Thanks (must have missed this comment). I really enjoyed this, and it did get me thinking about what I do in a render of a 3d scene differently. In addition to the stuff on animation (which he hasn't come out with much recently) he actually does some amazing history videos too (as well as lots of stuff about game design).

That got me looking through all my old pictures, and I don't think any of them would pass muster!

Sounds like a great idea for a future render challenge too...

Hmm, interesting. You know I'm sure many of my renders don't meet his standards either. Although I'm often not rendering characters, in the sense that I have someone whose story is known. I often make up a story in my head about the characters, but no one else can judge how true to that character I am being cause no one else knows who it is.