• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Should I switch to Windows 10?

The Good: I upgraded to Windows 10 about 6 months ago on my desktop and a month ago on my laptop. It makes my desktop boot so much faster it is amazing and it also seems to use less memory than the windows 7 install I had previously. I have no problems with the updates and no issues at all with drivers and in fact it seems smoother.

The Bad: In principal I really dislike the amount of spying that Windows 10 is capable of but I have turned off as much of it off as is possible. Since I knowingly use Google as my search engine and gmail as my email software I really figured the privacy part was moot. If I was worried about privacy the first thing I would have to do is quit using Google and I haven't so for me this install isn't any more of a security threat than using google and amazon. Now if I had financial information other than a very secure credit card or anything I cared about used on this PC that might be a different story, Win 7 seems safer for now, but this computer has none of that just stuff I don't care about that much and maybe I would have to redownload a few programs if I was compromised.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I find it unlikely that a computer would automatically update itself to another version on its own. But don't forget this upgrade can be UNDONE whenever you want by reversing back to the previous Windows version. You will find a folder in your computer called Windows.old that is used exactly for that purpose. You can try Win10, and if you don't like it, you can reverse back to whatever version you had before.

Unlikely and undesirable, yet Microsoft is doing it.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My hubby's in IT and he said if the computer is left unattended then yes, it will update W7 to W10 (W10 has been classed as an automatic update).

Besides the auto updates which can stuff up a long render, I haven't had any trouble (but then again, my computer is a Windows Surface :D)
I was starting to have trouble even before the update with Firefox so switched to Chrome and no more problems. But besides Daz Studio, Photoshop and the internet I don't really do much else (occasionally will use other Adobe products and Office)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have a Surface tablet too, and I like it better with Win10 than the Win8 that came pre-installed. It now boots faster, runs smoother, uses less memory, and the battery seems to last a bit longer. I have no complains besides the touch keyboard NOT showing automatically unless I am in tablet mode, which is stupid when I don't have a physical keyboard attached. How am I supposed to type? I have to manually pop up the touch keyboard, but then it gets on top of the area I want to type on. That's my only gripe.

Willowisp

Adventurous
Unlikely and undesirable, yet Microsoft is doing it.
Yup, I have several friends who were forcefully upgraded. In one case, the backups were corrupted so they could not roll back and they were stuck with a OS they did not like or want. And that's the main gripe from most people about Win10, it's being FORCED on people unless you stay alert and uninstall certain updates, and even then, you have to KEEP being alert as those updates will appear again and again and again no matter how many times you hide them.
Basically at some point Windows will tell you to either ugrade now or postpone, there is no option to say NO.

Myself, I have turned off upgrades completely now, and only check for updates if I know there is something critical. I figure Win7 by now is about as secure as it will get, and with a good AV, firewall and router, I should be good enough. :geek:

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Yes, Microsoft will "upgrade" you to Win10 without your permission. And once it does, you have only two options for updates:
  • Take all of Microsoft's updates, including snitchware, when MS sends it. Doing an all-night render? Your machine may update and restart at 2AM.
  • Get no updates, including no security updates.
On all four of my workstations, eleven server blades, and two server midtowers, I have the GWX Control Panel installed. You can set it to block Win10 downloads and delete Win10 files already on your computer. The nagging GWX (white windows icon) in your notification tray will be gone. You can set updates to only notify you if any are available (or however you want), and the GWX Control Panel will prevent Microsoft from resetting updates to automatic.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
There are tutorials out there that show how to disabled Microsoft GWX for those who don't want to upgrade. :)

Riccardo

Adventurous
Another update: I tried Carrara 8 under Linux/Wine again and I managed get the keyboard camera movements working. I needed to hold down the SHIFT key in addition to the normal Windows shortcut.
Well, if I can really run Carrara and other apps under Linux, my need for Windows could really drop down a lot.

eclark1894

Visionary
Yes, Microsoft will "upgrade" you to Win10 without your permission. And once it does, you have only two options for updates:
  • Take all of Microsoft's updates, including snitchware, when MS sends it. Doing an all-night render? Your machine may update and restart at 2AM.
  • Get no updates, including no security updates.
On all four of my workstations, eleven server blades, and two server midtowers, I have the GWX Control Panel installed. You can set it to block Win10 downloads and delete Win10 files already on your computer. The nagging GWX (white windows icon) in your notification tray will be gone. You can set updates to only notify you if any are available (or however you want), and the GWX Control Panel will prevent Microsoft from resetting updates to automatic.
Thanks for the GWX Control Panel tip, seachnasaigh. I downloaded it and haven't had anymore pesky reminders at all about Win 10.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
You don't need special software to keep that pesky notification at bay. It was installed as KB3035583. Go to add/remove programs, choose to uninstall updates, and find that one and remove it.