• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Should I switch to Windows 10?

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm currently running Windows 7 Home Premium on my Dell Vostro 1520 computer. According to what I can see on my system stats:
Intel Core 2 Duo T6670 @ 2.20 Ghz
2 GB of Ram
64- bit Operating System

I keep getting these notices that I should upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft and apparently, according to them, my computer can handle the upgrade with no problem.

Now, first of all, I'm a Mac person. The only real reason I'm even on this computer is because I needed a laptop and PCs are cheaper than Macs. I haven't had any real problems with this computer until recently really. Mostly with the programs, Firefox and Poser, not responding or crashing. But i don't know that much about PCs and Windows beyond the basics. Getting under the hood, so to speak, is beyond my capabilities, and scares me.

I'm generally from the "if it ain't broke and if you don't know what you're doing, leave it the hell alone" school of thought. But thought I'd ask you guys and gals if you think it would be advisable to upgrade or stay put. Help please?

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I wouldn't touch Windows 10 with the proverbial 10ft barge pole, leather gloves nor wearing a full set of armour. Needs to be decently buried in the garden with a scattering of garlic to ensure stays buried.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I went ahead with the upgrade from Windows 7 Pro.

My brother had Windows Vista so he did not qualify for the free upgrade.
He began having more problems when he needed to go online, no more support for any of the things he needed to see pages.
He bought a copy of windows 10 but there is no upgrade from Vista so it was a new install.
That meant we had to re-install all his previous programs but at least all his content was on an external drive.
One program did not work and when he went to see if he could get new drivers he found they were no longer in business so he had to replace it with a similar one.

What Microsoft is not telling you and what they are doing is phasing out support for all other OS they had, that will include windows 7.
It won't be long before you won't get support for it or be able to see web pages correctly.

If I knew how to do it and it would support my programs I would just switch to Linux, there is always a free upgrade and none of the non-sense Microsoft is pulling.
I can't say Windows 10 is bad but I miss my windows 7.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I wouldn't upgrade either, and FL, you're not the only one who's had Linux on their mind.

I've done some research to see which of my 3D apps are supported by Linux, and so far haven't run into anything that won't be able to run under Linux with WINE, which is included in most Linux distros.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I wonder how easy it is to install and what drivers will work with it.
I have an NVIDIA graphics card, the GeForce GT 610 and my monitor is the Viewsonic.
That is mainly what I'd need to understand, or I could sweet talk my daughter's and son-in-law's friend into doing it for me.
He knows all that stuff.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That I have no answers for. I haven't done that kind of research yet, and I'm seriously thinking of getting a new laptop with it pre-installed, so I'm more concerned with what will work with it. I know Dell has them.

My main concern is, there's so many different distros, and offshoots of distros, which one do I pick? So that's what I've been trying to research for now.

eclark1894

Visionary
I wonder how easy it is to install and what drivers will work with it.
I have an NVIDIA graphics card, the GeForce GT 610 and my monitor is the Viewsonic.
That is mainly what I'd need to understand, or I could sweet talk my daughter's and son-in-law's friend into doing it for me.
He knows all that stuff.
Cougar alert!;)

Thanks for the helpful advice, ladies. Guess I'll stick with Windows 7 until I HAVE to upgrade!

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I'm sticking with Windows 7 on my desktop. By the time they stop supporting it, I will likely need a new computer anyway.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have upgraded from Win7 when Win10 was still in beta, and things started to work actually better and faster for me, but I can tell it depends a lot on each person's individual hardware configuration. I would be concerned about running even Windows 7 with only 2GB RAM, for every program you run will risk switching into virtual memory or crash altogether. Especially when 3D programs tend to be memory hogs.

Riccardo

Adventurous
Hi everybody.
I have some experience with all the Operating Systems above.
My advice in the situation of @eclark1894: I would probably stay with Win 7, for now.

But... Win 10 for free is an interesting offer that will not last forever. So, you could consider to download an image of it to prepare a USB stick or a DVD and keep it in a closet till the day you decide to upgrade/install/reinstall. At that point you will have the Win 10 installation media and you should be able to activate it with your current win 7/8 Product Key (This is how I understood the topic, at least).
You can use M$ Media Creation Tool for this
Windows 10
(if you visit the page from a non-windows OS you should be directly presented an ISO image to download instead of the Media Creation Tool. When using it you must choose to create a support for another PC and then the correct version of the OS for your needs.)

My current PC is running Win 10 (its system requirements are the same for Win 7 and 8).
I must admit it works better than I expected (I am not a Microsoft fan). What I do not like are certain settings about which the user seems to have no choice. It just updates itself AND sends some data to microsoft: you cannot completely avoid this. There is some debate about how serious the privacy issue is. Not sure if these guys are right but you should at least be aware of some people's concerns...
Why Windows 10 wants your feedback and diagnostics, and how to control them
Stop Windows 10 from spying on you

Linux:
Well, it is easy to install Linux ALONE in a PC. But if you want it in dual boot with Windows you have to be very careful. Especially if you are installing both on the same physical Hard disk. Much better would be if you can have a hard disk for windows and another for Linux, not both OSes in partitions on the same drive.
But... Most Linux distros have this wonderful feature: a "live" DVD. This runs Linux in RAM without installing and touching your PC drive unless you want to explicitly save some file on it. This gives you the chance to try Linux and see if it works for you before hacking your windows installation.

WINE (if it's not included in your distribution you can surely install it) does a great job in running windows applications under Linux, but you cannot be sure if they're completely ok until you test the features you need. Parts of the application could not work properly. I tried Carrara 8 under Wine: it worked, but I could not use the keyboard camera movements. I don't know if that is the only issue, but is enough to make it much harder to use for me.

The applications we use for 3D are quite complex and they are the reason why I still have a windows machine

By the way, which Linux distro could be the most appropriate for artists? In my opinion
Ubuntu Studio
Download a ISO image (choose the correct 32 or 64 bit version for your system's architecture), burn it to a DVD-rom, start your computer set to boot from the optical drive tray (with your newly created DVD inside) and you can play around with Ubuntu studio Linux it. If you like it, you can consider installing it. But always be careful: if you want to keep your Windows installation and have no experience in installing Linux, look for the help of someone who knows how to do it. And always, always have backups ;-)

Last edited:

Seebee

This is the same argument that folks used when Windows98 and then XP was released and then when Windows7 was released...
You Poser/ Daz users..I really do not understand you lot..
Most other (serious) 3D users have updated weeks ago and are very very pleased!
Why do Daz/Poser folk always appear discouraged at most things new?
Is it that experience is lacking maybe.. Or technical skills? Or what for Gods sake?
Maybe frightened?
Ho hum...I'm beginning to sound like a xxxxxxx. Add your own comment :)
Cheers.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
But... Win 10 for free is an interesting offer that will not last forever. So, you could consider to download an image of it to prepare a USB stick or a DVD and keep it in a closet till the day you decide to upgrade/install/reinstall. At that point you will have the Win 10 installation media and you should be able to activate it with your current win 7/8 Product Key (This is how I understood the topic, at least).

I thought the limited time free upgrade is about when we *activate* the serial number, and not when we upgrade Windows. To be on the safe side, I would assume it's when we activate, and not when we upgrade. Saving an ISO might not help if Microsoft will no longer accept free upgrades somewhere in the future. The original offer was 12 months after the official Win10 release, and that's running short by now.

Some of the reasons I took the free upgrade offer were:

1. Microsoft has never done this before, and it's only valid for 12 months after the official release - it's not forever. A retail copy costs $100+.
2. The sooner I upgrade, the sooner I can locate and update the device drivers, which can make or break a computer.
3. Win10 has been the easiest Windows version to upgrade. More on this one below.

When I first upgraded from WinXP to Win7, there were a lot of devices it wouldn't find drivers for - especially for manufacturer-specific laptop parts like video cameras, network adapters, touch pads, Blu-Ray adapters, and video adapters. I had to hunt the web for manufacturer drivers, and many didn't have anything for Win7 for almost a year. Even when I reinstalled Win7 before, I would have to install each device driver separately - if I could find them.

When I upgraded my laptop (old Toshiba Satellite) to Win10, I thought it would be more of the same, but it wasn't. It has recognized everything in the laptop - even things Win7 couldn't detect or recognize on its own. I didn't have to use the Toshiba drivers CD at all. Then I did the same for my Acer laptop, and it was the same - everything recognized on the first try. The only glitch was the Synapsis touchpad driver was buggy, but this can be fixed with later updates. The important thing was that every little device was working as it should, and in some cases, better than they did with Win7, which is surprising since they were designed for it. In my older Toshiba Satellite, it was booting faster, and appears to use less memory than it did with Win7.

Win10 is not perfect, but my experience with it has been better than with my beloved Win7. Mind you, I am a computer hardware and software expert. I build my own computers part by part, and I am very picky. For many years it was always a challenge to make custom computers to run stable with WinXP, but it has becomes a lot less traumatic with Win7, and even less with Win10. Sorry if I skip Vista and Win8 altogether, but those are not worth mentioning. From a computer expert perspective, I am happy with Win10 and have been using it since the beta releases. The interface is generally still the same, while retaining some of the best parts of Win8, which weren't many anyway.

From a regular use perspective, I can tell Win10 has been the way less problematic than it was when I upgraded from XP to 7. My tablet already came with Win8 installed, so I was already familiar with some of the interface changes. When Microsoft asked if I wanted to upgrade to Win10 for free on the tablet, I said yes, and there were a couple of driver problems in the beginning, but everything is fine now. All problems have fixed themselves with automatic updates. A major problem was that Win10 didn't accept my anti-virus and firewall working together, but now they do. The problem was not with Windows, but with the AV and firewall programs that needed some updates.

Perhaps this would be a good time to do the upgrade, since drivers and most programs have already resolved most issues. But if you have only 1 or 2GB RAM, you might be better with whatever OS you already have. I would recommend at least 4GB RAM for Win10. I have the impression Win10 uses and manages memory better than Win7 and 8, but you don't have enough to start with, Windows cannot fix that. Remember ANY 3D application will always ask for a lot of RAM. They have along history of being memory hogs.

Hope it helps. :)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
My niece was over yesterday and said her laptop was upgraded overnight without her knowing it.
I am puzzled about that.
She said she had been watching Netflix and fell asleep.
When she woke the next morning she saw the computer was off and turned it on to check her email.
That's when she discovered she had been upgraded to Win 10 from 7 without doing anything.
Now I wonder how that could happen, why would Microsoft start upgrading people on their own?
I wonder if her son or his friend did it and just didn't want to admit it because they were not supposed to touch her computer.
I upgraded because I know it won't take long for them to stop supporting any other OS.
They stopped on Vista and my brother had problems trying to load certain web pages due to needing the latest flash or Java which his system would not support.

Willowisp

Adventurous
That was probably Microsoft, they have been known to 'upgrade' peoples machines without their consent. Once the updates have reached a certain point, you can't stop it, unless you actively go in and remove the updates that causes it.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I Wonder if that is why the little Sony VIAO has been automatically updating lately when I use it and turn it off.
When I turn it back on it is updating yet if I go to their site I get a message that this model is no longer supported by them.
This baby only has a 68gb drive in it, it can't hold Windows ten.
The only problem I have since upgrading my desktop to Win 10 is with the Windows explorer always hanging then crashing right when I'm working in it.
I've tried P3do but it lacks a few bells ans whistles.
All my other programs work fine.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I upgraded because I know it won't take long for them to stop supporting any other OS.
They stopped on Vista and my brother had problems trying to load certain web pages due to needing the latest flash or Java which his system would not support.

Just to be fair to Microsoft, those sorts of issues aren't actually Microsoft, but companies like Oracle, Adobe, and so on. I've seen the same thing happen on Mac OSX. There it actually began when Apple started making it's new OS free. At that point these companies stopped putting out updates for things like Flash and Java and as webpages started requiring the newer versions people on older Mac OSs couldn't access them. Even sites like Google and Yahoo would tell people that the web page wouldn't load correctly, even though it often would.

These companies have been much slower about 'cutting off' users of older Window's OSs but it looks like they are starting to do so. I image that they wanted to do this sooner, but have only felt recently like they were able, since these are software packages they provide for free. Trying to keep the newest updates working in all systems I'm sure is difficult. Doesn't mean it fun if you don't want to upgrade, especially because Windows upgrades can be pricey.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I find it unlikely that a computer would automatically update itself to another version on its own. But don't forget this upgrade can be UNDONE whenever you want by reversing back to the previous Windows version. You will find a folder in your computer called Windows.old that is used exactly for that purpose. You can try Win10, and if you don't like it, you can reverse back to whatever version you had before.