• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Should be an interesting weather night

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
WOW, batten down the hatches Traci! We rarely get tornadoes here in NYC, as there isn't much in the way of wide open spaces, but we have had storms with high winds like that.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
LOL, Sunfire. If only we could tie down the house, and HAD a storm cellar! Though, I think we would be safer if there was a way to tie UP these giant pine trees.

Miss B, we're kinda use to spring tornadoes, but not the week between Christmas and New Year!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Don't you just love when you have little or no warning before a major event. ~sheesh~

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hope you don't have a lot of trees that could get uprooted in those winds.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I'm surrounded by very large trees on a heavily wooded lot.
We had a very strange storm a few years ago, and at least a half-dozen trees came down within a 10 block radius.
We lost one of the trees out front of our building, but luckily with the way the high winds were blowing, it went down sideways, so 3 cars were highly damaged, and a 4th was badly scraped on the roof. I don't want to think what would've happened if the wind blew it down towards the building.

I think we were lucky because the wind came from the South, and that's straight up the street, rather than from the East, which would've been blowing towards our building. Of course the building across the street from us is the same height, so an Easterly wind wouldn't have done much damage to the trees except maybe at the very top. These are all very large, old, well-developed trees, so it was a shame to loose it, because the City hasn't seen fit to plant a new one in it's place.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
In the blizzard on 1993, we had 28 pine trees on the house and 2 on the car in the driveway. It was only 13 inches of snow, but in Georgia, 13 inches of snow IS a blizzard.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Pshaaaaw, that's nothing. We've had 2 feet (and more) here in NYC, but it's been decades since we had that much snow at one time.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
An old well developed tree is not always proof against falling or breaking. The neighbor to our right as you stand by the road and look at our house, in a storm a few years back had this big old tree come down, took out the power line, luckily his new car wasn't in it's path or it would have ben a very dead car. That tree was huge!

Our place used to sit between a huge old maple, and a huge old American Cherry, all though the Cherry was practically a dwarf next to the maple, and if we hadn't had them cut down, at least one major branch on each of them was likely to come down in a storm in the next year or so. That would have been bad all around. Paid to have them removed as the Maple was shedding sizeable branches every time a good wind blew, and then I saw the crack in the Cherry and... had them take that one too. The Cherry looked to be rotting from the inside out, and I think the old maple just got too big for it's roots to support and it was dying. Middle of summer and there were leaves at the top of the tree already turning.

Miss B

CV-BEE
That's not good. A couple of the trees around here only lost branches, or they were broken, but not completely off, so they came and cut those branches off. At least those trees were saved.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I really hated losing the trees, but better the trees than the alternatives.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Well, we survived the night all well and good. Still a day of high winds ahead of us, so hopefully the trees remain standing.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Glad all's well so far - hope the winds die down and the trees stay standing!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Stay safe. If you see the Wicked Witch of the West flying by your window, you know your OZ bound! lol

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Glad to hear you made it through all right. We have pretty high winds fairly regularly but even so one day a tree that made it through all the other Chinooks (what we call our winds) will one day decide to break. There used to be this amazing willow tree where I lived that had to be centuries old. From it's main trunk it had three other 'trunks' the size of more normal tress growing out of it, but one day in storm one of them snapped, so they had to cut the others down. I was sad, but it had to be done.