• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Share Your Efforts and Experiences with the new Strand-Base Hair in DS

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks! I think with the density issues it might be slightly easier to do baby hair. I really like doing hair for Luna.

L'Adair

Enthusiast
I've been having a bit of fun modifying the SBH that comes with Jepe's Roderick for Diego 8. Jepe included a dozen SBH "presets" for the character, which can be used on any G8M. Besides the beard and hair on his head, Roderick comes with presets hair on his arms, legs, chest, abdomen and buttocks, as well as several for sexier renders. Select one of these SBH items in the Scene tab and open the editor and you can make all the changes you need.

I started a thread about it on Daz, where both Jepe and missuskisses give examples on how to use the presets with other figures. The main caveat being, you have to load the figure with the SB hair the first time. You can check out that thread here, if you need those instructions.

Here's the end result of my first attempt editing Roderick's hair:

Rodrigo smaller.jpg

You can see the full-size image on DA here.

I'll be adding some clay renders to my DA gallery soon, with all but the gens hair from a default load. I generally prefer my 3D characters in their "Barbie" and "Ken doll" states, but I'll still be putting the clay renders behind a mature filter anyway. Should be sometime later today.

L'Adair

Enthusiast
I don't know how many of you frequent the Daz Store, (I know, you're all holding a cross in my direction now…) but Mattymanx has released a shader product specifically for SBH and dForce Hair. The Default Resources for DS updated a few days ago with support for a 4-Layer PBR (Iray) shader which, I believe, provides support for this product on non-SBH/dForce Hair. (I've already tried it with one of RedzStudio's three-zone fiber hairs with amazing results. I haven't tried it on trans-mapped hair yet, but even the PA says that is hit or miss, and dependent on the hair.)

Anyway, I didn't want any of you to miss this product if it's something you can use, whether you purchase now or put on your wishlist to wait for a better price.

L'Adair

Enthusiast
I have just found out that the 4-Layer PBR shader for Iray has nothing to do with hair. I figured I should come in and correct my comment, but this software won't allow edits so long after the posting, so this will have to do.
:oopsie: