• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

runtime textures questions.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Example... /textures/Faery_Light/FL Hivewire Products/FL HWH Pack II

I am seriously thinking of editing my runtime and wondered if you think something like this would be too long?

The problem is that when I put all my stuff in just the Faery_Light folder it gets really big and hard to find.

So if I just make folders for the different models(All My DAZ Models...All My G2 and so on) Models like the example above all would be easier to find in the textures folder.

I use external runtime for the libraries but all textures go into the main Poser runtime.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I'm not clear what is hard to find about it now, since the folder names right now under the Faery_Light folder is the NAME of the product? Personally I don't see what adding "FL HiveWire Products" (by the way, note that the W is also capitalized in HiveWire :) adds. To me, it just makes for a very long path....

How often do your customers need to access the jpgs in the texture folder?

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Oh, I just meant that for me I have so many other products for V4, M4 and Lord knows what there when I go to check and make sure I didn't add any files not needed for a particular set It drives me crazy.
If I set it that way for me when I create files the path would point to the folders as I listed not just the Faery_Light folder.
But it is very long that way so maybe I will just leave that one alone. :roflmao:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Eek. I sort of do something like this already... Mine currently goes /textures/Childe of Fyre/Hivewire/product-name

(Yes I know it's a capitalized W also..)

If it really is too long that way, I'll edit Nataani's MAT's and texture structure before he hits Beta. I am in a similar boat as FL above. I have been at this for so long that I needed that extra /Hivewire/ designation to work AND to pack files, otherwise I have trouble finding stuff, and trouble making sure I don't either have missing maps or extra maps...

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Ah, while working on things!

Yes, shouldn't be too hard, though, to edit your files to change to a different path

HiveWire or HW isn't as long as "FL HiveWire Products".

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Ah, while working on things!

Yes, shouldn't be too hard, though, to edit your files to change to a different path

HiveWire or HW isn't as long as "FL HiveWire Products".

Yes, I've been making sure not to save the DS files as compressed. So, theoretically, I should be able to edit the MATs text files and adjust the paths in there if needed.

I can shorten HiveWire down to just "HW" if preferred. Just let me know. But yes, if I don't have my textures set up this way, you folks could end up with PSD files or missing maps, or maps from Vicky3 or Mike4 or Genesis stuff in it... LOL

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
I think HiveWire or HW is fine :). Some CAs use Dusk or Dawn, many just use the name of the product. These aren't user facing files, so it's not a real big deal what the path is.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yes, I do have separate runtimes for each product,
But if I load textures from there when making the material files it gives a complete path, EG... Fl Whoever\runtimes\textures\Fl Whoever.
Then I have to edit that in a text editor to get it out of the path.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Ah. I don't have that happen because I clean up my files with File Optimizer from Creator's ToyBox. It takes care of stripping everything off before Runtime.

It also sets the minimum version, as well as a number of other things.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Duh!
I have that, don't know why I forget it.
I have what my brother refers to as "some-timers disease" sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't. :roflmao:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Uhm. I'm guilty of NOT making extra runtimes for each project. *shrugs* It works for me... I always miss files or forget to edit something in a file path if I try to do separate runtimes for a product.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh, I'm sure I do a lot of things differently than others! Ask three coders to create the same simple routine, and you'll get three different versions of code ... each one just as functional as the other two. I just found separate runtimes makes it sooo much easier ... especially when it comes time to zip the files. This way I only have the files that the product needs and don't accidently forget any or include any not used by the product.

The beauty of File Optimizer is that you don't forget to edit a path as long as you remember to run it. I also suffer from Some-timer's disease :wink:

Then too, I do usually open the files to make sure there isn't any extras (like refFigure JamesG2). File Optimizer also removes all those control props. That's usually when I realize I forgot to run File Optimizer because the version number will be off and there will be control props or other weird stuff Poser thinks is essential.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
LOL. Yeah, I'm the other way around. I keep an empty "dummy" Runtime (and Studio setup) in a separate spot on my HD. These are fluid... they only have things in them when I'm moving stuff to them to zip. When I'm ready to package, I copy the folders needed over to the dummy structures, and I just zip from there.

Once zipped, I go through all the folders in the zip to remove the silly thumbs.db files as they do actually sometimes increase the zip file's size quite a bit.

For me, this is just what works. I move everything over by hand as I prep for zipping, and it helps me to make sure everything is in the package and where it belongs. If I work in separate runtimes it starts getting me confused and I end up zipping from the wrong place, or forgetting this or that file! LOL

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah. I hate those thumbs!

That and Poser recreates all the library folders if they are missing. So, I don't bother deleting the empty ones now until the final zip for submitting to QA. Then I delete the thumbs and empty folders from the zip.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
That and Poser recreates all the library folders if they are missing. So, I don't bother deleting the empty ones now until the final zip for submitting to QA. Then I delete the thumbs and empty folders from the zip.

Poser does that? That was driving me crazy! I thought maybe it was something to do with the HW folder structure files being read-only or something. I would delete all the unnecessary folders and they would just keep coming back. Probably when I had to resave something from Poser, I guess.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes indeed! Poser sure does. Made me crazy too until I realized it was happening after I'd been in Poser.

I don't think it only happens when you resave. I think it's when you access the runtime that Poser creates the missing Library folders. I'd have to check to be sure that it happens just on accessing the folder or only when saving a file. But, I'm pretty sure it's happened to me even when I've only loaded something from the runtime.