• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Rotation of a sphere

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Okay, I've created a sphere to use for various things but need it to rotate evenly on the y axis.
As is it wobbles and I have no idea how to correct it.
Can anyone explain for me, please?

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Okay, I've created a sphere to use for various things but need it to rotate evenly on the y axis.
As is it wobbles and I have no idea how to correct it.
Can anyone explain for me, please?
You need to adjust the orientation of the object's origin. My preference would be to do this in a modeler program by orienting the sphere so that its axis is vertical, then save that object out as an OBJ. Upon import to Poser, it will retain that orientation.

But, you can correct it within Poser, by opening the joint editor window, and then you should see origin angles appear in the item's parameters window.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I tried in Poser using the joint editor but did it wrong I guess because it still wobbles.

I need it so the little circular area on the wire frame mode is on top and bottom and then rotate evenly.

I must have exported wrong to begin with so may try again to do it in my program, Blender.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
That would be my advice - get it straight in Blender, and export the properly-aligned sphere as an OBJ. It will then import into Poser with the straightened alignment.

If you modeled it straight but later moved it, select the sphere object (object mode) and look for a command to orient to world.

Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary
I tried in Poser using the joint editor but did it wrong I guess because it still wobbles.

I need it so the little circular area on the wire frame mode is on top and bottom and then rotate evenly.

I must have exported wrong to begin with so may try again to do it in my program, Blender.
To correct the rotation in Blender, enter object mode and select the object you wish to export. With your mouse cursor in the viewport, Hit Ctrl A.
A list will come up. Select "Rotation". Your object's rotation will correct itself. If nothing happens, your object's rotation is already correct.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, that's a nice tidbit Earl. I've not had that problem before, but I'll certainly make note of it for the future. ;)

eclark1894

Visionary
You can visually check the rotation as well with the manipulation gizmo. Check and see if the arrows orient properly. Blue arrow should point up on the Z axis. Red along the X axis and Green along the Y axis.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Ctrl A > Rotation applies the object rotation. So if you take a cube, rotate it by 30 degrees in all directions, then Ctrl A > Rotation, your object's rotation will read 0, 0, 0 as if you rotated the cube in edit mode. It should have no effect on exporting, and it should never move your object.

To export a mesh perfectly centered you need for your object center to be at the true center of the object (Tool panel, Set Origin: Origin to Geometry), and then the object to be at the true center of the scene (you can do this a few ways).

To make sure your object center is at 0, 0, 0 in Poser, use Window > Joint Editor

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thank you all for helping, I got it working as it should.
Now I can create what ever I had in mind for it, think it was ornaments. :laugh:

eclark1894

Visionary
Ctrl A > Rotation applies the object rotation. So if you take a cube, rotate it by 30 degrees in all directions, then Ctrl A > Rotation, your object's rotation will read 0, 0, 0 as if you rotated the cube in edit mode. It should have no effect on exporting, and it should never move your object.

To export a mesh perfectly centered you need for your object center to be at the true center of the object (Tool panel, Set Origin: Origin to Geometry), and then the object to be at the true center of the scene (you can do this a few ways).

To make sure your object center is at 0, 0, 0 in Poser, use Window > Joint Editor
Let me reiterate something Kobalt Kween just reminded me of. For various reasons, when you first create an object in Blender, try to set and keep the location of that object centered at 0,0,0 in Blender's world. Do NOT move it in Object mode, ever. Only in edit mode. There are various functions and modifiers in Blender, like the Mirror Modifier and the Array modifier, that depend on Blender being at the World center, and trust me, while it can be reset, it's a PITA to have to do it.:cautious:

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Let me reiterate something Kobalt Kween just reminded me of. For various reasons, when you first create an object in Blender, try to set and keep the location of that object centered at 0,0,0 in Blender's world. Do NOT move it in Object mode, ever. Only in edit mode. There are various functions and modifiers in Blender, like the Mirror Modifier and the Array modifier, that depend on Blender being at the World center, and trust me, while it can be reset, it's a PITA to have to do it.:cautious:

This is a really good point. I move stuff in object mode all the time, but I do it understanding that many modifiers act based on the location of the object's center point. If you do an array modifier and have it transform based on an object, that transformation is based on the difference between the modified item's center point and the transformation object's center point. If you make something follow a curve, it's easiest if the object and the curve share a center point location. The mirror modifier is based on local x, y, and z (like say, you can mirror something on x, then rotate on the object on z by 90, it will now look as if it's got a y mirror) so if you want it to work in global ones (like, say, fitting a figure), you'll want to keep its global and local position synchronized. There's a bunch of deform modifiers that work with other objects (like Armature) where the relative position of the modified and modifying objects affect how the modifier works. Usually making it easiest to have the objects in the same place.

Also, how you export into Poser is how your object is at 0,0, 0. So if an object is at 1, 1, 1 in Blender, and you export it, then import it into Poser, its location will read 0, 0, 0. Same goes for its rotation and scale. Exporting an object is kind of like baking it. Especially if you've set it to apply modifiers.

ArtisanS

Contributing Artist
You are right the mirror modifier CAN (< stressed not as a yel but as an emphasis) use the origin a mirror point or axis. But is does not have to be that way!

1) If though movest an OBJECT in Blender though shallt push the CRTL - A -> Loc scale rotation.....
2) If though uses a modifier you can most of the time define from were the modifier is used......
3) If you want to reset the origin of an object that has been modified to the original position....one can...for instance by using an new fresh object, setting the cursor to that object and resetting the modified object to the cursor position....

I NEVER rig in Blender I always rig in DAZ 3D.....and on has to think about the position of the bones.....DAZ sets a bone from the bottom of the sphere to the top. So I go into ortho mode and Eyeball the rotation origin of the bone to the center of the sphere.....en sphere then revolves around that center.....as illustration the most famous sphere of the last few years demonstrating the principle

Greets, ArtisanS

BBClipping.JPG

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
You are right the mirror modifier CAN (< stressed not as a yel but as an emphasis) use the origin a mirror point or axis. But is does not have to be that way!

1) If though movest an OBJECT in Blender though shallt push the CRTL - A -> Loc scale rotation.....
2) If though uses a modifier you can most of the time define from were the modifier is used......
3) If you want to reset the origin of an object that has been modified to the original position....one can...for instance by using an new fresh object, setting the cursor to that object and resetting the modified object to the cursor position....

I NEVER rig in Blender I always rig in DAZ 3D.....and on has to think about the position of the bones.....DAZ sets a bone from the bottom of the sphere to the top. So I go into ortho mode and Eyeball the rotation origin of the bone to the center of the sphere.....en sphere then revolves around that center.....as illustration the most famous sphere of the last few years demonstrating the principle

Greets, ArtisanS

View attachment 33705

Right. If you change the object origin, it will work from that origin, not the center of the geometry. You can use another object as your basis for mirroring, but it will then use that object's center point (and not the center of its geometry.

ArtisanS

Contributing Artist
Indeed.....it uses the origin, which may or not may be the center of the geometry. For instance in the picture below you see a cube mirrored in a sphere (centered), but I have moved the origin of the sphere to the left and down a bit (3D view chaos).....as a result the cube is not on the right and left side of the actual UV sphere but shifted.......to the left.....you can set the origin of a object using the object menu -> transform.....

Greets, Artisan

Origin.JPG