• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Rigging transfer to other side?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm trying to rig a set of wings. Would it be possible to do one side and transfer that and the weight maps over to the other side?

Karina

Probably there are rigging experts with much more expertise than me...

However, here's my approach to it:

- First set up the bone structure for either LEFT or right (in my experience it's always a good idea (for either rigs or morphs) to set them on the left (== +X) side before mirroring) because Poser often digests this better than the other way round (PP2014)

Save the scene once the left side bones were created (just to be on the safe side if something else goes wrong, or Poser crashes).

Close Poser and restart it (because sometimes Poser is like an elephant - it won't forget any mistakes you made...)

Now go back to the Setup room:

Create new bones for the *other* (right side, in this case).
Don't bother about joint centres! Just make sure they are named accordingly to the geometry groups, and that they are parented accordingly!

Try to exit the Setup Room.
*IF* you've made no errors, you'll get a new figure. (Else, back to the drawing(grouping) board)

Now you have a new figure in the scene. Save that scene by a different name once again, to have a fallback.

Reload the scene, select the figure and press <CTRL><SHIFT><J> (or call the "Joint Editor" from the menu)
Check whether all left/right bones are present.

If they are, go to "Poser Menu -> Figure -> Rig Symmetry" and mirror the side with the correct setup-

Next step is to paint your weight maps (or sphere zones if you prefer)
Mirror them in the same way.

If you run into problems, don't hesitate to ask!

K