• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Rethinking Poser "native" file formats...

eclark1894

Visionary
If you've been reading my thread about the Poser vendor directory, you may know that I'm thinking of redefining what I consider Poser "native formats". So far, that basically means any file using Poser's Proprietary file formats:
Lights .LT2
Poses .PZ2
Expressions .FC2
Cameras .CM2
Materials .MT5, .MC6
Props .PP2
Hair .HR2
Figures .CR2
Hands .HD2
Scene .PZ3

However, Poser does import a number of other file formats:
.OBJ
3D Studio Max .3DS
Lightwave .LWO
.Bvh
.DXF

Poser will currently allow limited importing of these three file formats.

Collada/RWY
FBX
ZBbrush

James R.

Busy Bee
I think a section on your site for these alternate file formats would be very helpful. Poser can work with such a nice variety of formats — it’d be great for new (and existing) users to be aware of some of the other formats they can make use of “natively” with Poser.

I’m intrigued by FBX, myself. Not just for the importing of certain figures like we talked about in another thread, but for assets like vehicles, buildings, etc. I’ve found some nice FBX models that import very well into Poser, with all their rigging intact. Some Poser-oriented model makers are even providing their items in this format now.

I love that Poser allows users to work with so many formats.

eclark1894

Visionary
FBX, unfortunately, is one of the three "limited" format options Poser currently uses. Currently, it's only a Poser Pro export-import option.

James R.

Busy Bee
FBX, unfortunately, is one of the three "limited" format options Poser currently uses. Currently, it's only a Poser Pro export-import option.

Ah, Pro-only! I didn't know that.

Would you consider adding it somewhere for information's sake, maybe? Having that information available, and knowing that there's a growing list of FBX items out there (Rendo), might entice people to upgrade to Pro. Ehh...then again maybe it wouldn't, and wouldn't be worth the work.

eclark1894

Visionary
Ah, Pro-only! I didn't know that.

Would you consider adding it somewhere for information's sake, maybe? Having that information available, and knowing that there's a growing list of FBX items out there (Rendo), might entice people to upgrade to Pro. Ehh...then again maybe it wouldn't, and wouldn't be worth the work.
As far as I know, it's all in the manual.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I hardly ever read manuals, as they tell you what something is, but never how to use it. Useless most of the time.

James R.

Busy Bee
The Poser manual... well, forums have long been full of complaints about it.

But I just thought that having some info about various formats, even one with "limited" capability, with some examples of what works in Poser and where they can be found, would be a good related addition to Earl's directory and blog. But...it ain't my show and I'm not the one who'd have to put the time and effort into making it happen...

Hornet3d

Wise
I refer to the manual when I have a problem or I want to research a feature, otherwise it is a very boring read if you are going from cover to cover. As large as it is I find the manual limited, as Miss B has said it tells you what something is, not how to use it. I recently read up the section on Superfly and while it talks about the nodes what each section does I was no more informed on how to use it than when I started. I have learnt far more from the helpful people here at Hivewire and looking at the Superfly materials included with Poser than I did in reading the manual.

Semicharm

Eager
eclark1894, don't for get the gzip compressed formats too.
Lights .LTZ
Poses .P2Z
Expressions .FCZ
Cameras .CMZ
Materials .MZ5, .MCZ
Props .PPZ
Hair .HRZ
Figures .CRZ
Hands .HDZ
Scene .PZZ
geometry .OBZ

And there's PMD for morphs, supported image formats, and a few internal formats that no one really thinks about like the "head" room files (.ph5).

James R.

Busy Bee
I refer to the manual when I have a problem or I want to research a feature, otherwise it is a very boring read if you are going from cover to cover. As large as it is I find the manual limited, as Miss B has said it tells you what something is, not how to use it. I recently read up the section on Superfly and while it talks about the nodes what each section does I was no more informed on how to use it than when I started. I have learnt far more from the helpful people here at Hivewire and looking at the Superfly materials included with Poser than I did in reading the manual.

Dimension3D/Ralf Sessler put out an Introduction to Superfly at Rendo, along with a materials set, just after P11Pro was released. I found it helpful in getting me started with Superfly at the time. Neither is a freebie, however.

Hornet3d

Wise
Thank you for the information, I would not have seen it as I don't normally visit Rendo, although I did this week to read Miss B's interview.

What I did manage to pick up was a great bundle pack of superfly shaders from Vince Bagna that has a tutorial included suggesting how the shaders can be modified. It is great having the shader and then playing with changes just to see what happens, for me far better than just trying to read a manual.

James R.

Busy Bee
Thank you for the information, I would not have seen it as I don't normally visit Rendo, although I did this week to read Miss B's interview.

What I did manage to pick up was a great bundle pack of superfly shaders from Vince Bagna that has a tutorial included suggesting how the shaders can be modified. It is great having the shader and then playing with changes just to see what happens, for me far better than just trying to read a manual.

Vince Bagna’s shader set is excellent! They’re very versatile and I use them regularly.

eclark1894

Visionary
I hardly ever read manuals, as they tell you what something is, but never how to use it. Useless most of the time.
Granted, which was the basis of why I wanted to do the lighting tutorial in the SM Forum. My biggest problem with the manual though was that it gets rather long winded and technical, which confuses and bores people. But still, it is a "reference" manual, and that's what you're supposed to do if you want information on something. "Refer" to the manual. I'm always happy to explain something you may not understand. But I don't want to have to re-write the manual. Especially, if no one's even going to read it.

That said, though, there have been books written about Poser that basically did just that like "Practical Poser".

Although, hmm, I wouldn't mind writing a book called the "Poser Bible."

Last edited:

Hornet3d

Wise
Granted, which was the basis of why I wanted to do the lighting tutorial in the SM Forum. My biggest problem with the manual though was that it gets rather long winded and technical, which confuses and bores people. But still, it is a "reference" manual, and that's what you're supposed to do if you want information on something. "Refer" to the manual. I'm always happy to explain something you may not understand. But I don't want to have to re-write the manual. Especially, if no one's even going to read it.

That said, though, there have been books written about Poser that basically did just that like "Practical Poser".

Although, hmm, I wouldn't mind writing a book called the "Poser Bible."

I still have Practical Poser 5 and the think PP8 on my bookshelf along with learning Poser 8/2010 dvd from Infinite Skills which a learnt a lot from. The tutorials that came free with my order of Poser 11 was very good too and at least gave me a head start. The reference manual has it uses as you suggest but a step by step tutorial is the best way for me to learn.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think my last Practical Poser was 6. Not sure I ever thought about getting a newer one, as I then switched to DS for a good many years, before working in Poser again with version 9.

Yes, as Earl said, manuals are for reference. A tutorial is always the best way to learn how to do something.