• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Render Settings ? Poll

Do you use BOX or Sinc for your Poser FireFly renders?

• BOX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SINC

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I got to wondering both just out of curiosity and also in the rare instances that I do any beta testing.... In Poser 9, 10, and 2014 (I don't own P11, have no idea what settings are in THAT Firefly render engine)...

Question: Do you use BOX or SINC ?

You will find that option in the lower right of your Poser Custom Firefly render settings... I normally (nowadays) use Sinc set to at least 3, if not 4... This produces a nice sharp or crisp image to show off all the wonderful high resolution texture work done by merchants for us these days... Box tends to soften or 'blur' in my opinion... but is the DEFAULT Poser Firefly setting... One has to decide to switch to Sinc, and choose a level...

Thanks for participating! :)

tonyvilters

Inspired
My default render settings are;

Cast Shadows ON
Raytracing ON
Raytrace bounces: 1
Irradiance caching ON at a value of: 0
Indirect Light ON at 100%
Pixel Samples: 3
Min Shading rate: 1 for draft, 0.5 for intermediate and 0.2 for High quality
Max Bucket size: 32

Smooth Polygons ON (and default crease angle set to 120° in general preferences)
Use Displacement Maps ON
Post filter size 3
Poset filter type Sinc
Gamma Correction 2.2

The ONLY value I ever change are Min Shading rate between 1 for draft and 0.2 for High quality.

Pixel Samples can go to 6 if I render in Progressive mode to check something.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
At one point, Bagginsbill suggested Sinc for highest quality. I've used it for Firefly ever since. That said, I'm no longer using Firefly.

HadCancer

Motivated
Gosh since I got Poser 11 I stopped using poser and now am a DAZ man. I think I will go back to it eventually. When I used Firefly I remember I checked out of most of the default settings. Tapped down gamma as it was set way to high and added indirect lighting. Usually had ray tracing at 3. Never figured out depth of field setting as never worked for me.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thanks for that link Kerya. I just tweaked my render settings according to what BB discusses there.

eclark1894

Visionary
Gosh since I got Poser 11 I stopped using poser and now am a DAZ man. I think I will go back to it eventually. When I used Firefly I remember I checked out of most of the default settings. Tapped down gamma as it was set way to high and added indirect lighting. Usually had ray tracing at 3. Never figured out depth of field setting as never worked for me.
Okay, I have to ask... what didn't work for you? DOF is pretty easy to use.

eclark1894

Visionary
Everything came out blurry including what was close and should have been focused. Sorry for the delay in the reply I do not visit here that often. I know I'm bad.
Well, if you need help, I'd be happy to do a quick tutorial to help you out.

DOF.png

HadCancer

Motivated
Well, if you need help, I'd be happy to do a quick tutorial to help you out.

View attachment 15302
Ok I will bite what is the trick, I have both Poser 11 which I do not use much anymore as Superfly sucks even my Titan X and i7 6 core dry, so use DAZ DS 4.9 noe , but I am new to it. DOF is a fail for me using either one. I am sure it just enter some number somewhere to make the foreground sharp and the background blurry

quietrob

Extraordinary
I use 3 different settings. One a bare bones setting so I can get to the render quickly and search for poke through, make notes what can be easily corrected in post. Next a mid range setting to see if I really want to go with what I've done or scrap it and start over. Once I'm done, I use Alfaseed's setting for a quality render. That is this one below
Alfaseed Settings.jpg

However, something I NEVER thought to try was the Box/Sinc settings. I had no idea what they were for until this thread. If Bagginsbill gives one advice, I recommend following it. I'm not saying he wrote the Poser Bible...but he probably proofread it and corrected the mistakes. I'm going to load up my favorite character and try this out. I will have to cast my vote for sinc...but I really didn't know any better!!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've also recently switched to Sinc after reading BB's suggestion. I think Poser sets it to Box by default, and I never had any idea either on what it was for, and what it does.