• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Reference Images

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
I was just adding to my reference images today, and realized that others might be interested in them. And that maybe others would like to share some of their collections.

Pinterest
Just to warn, some of them do include nudity. I think only the Ethnic references, but I'm not sure the others are completely free of it (though they are mostly). I do know that I only included what I'd consider artistic.

So here's some of mine:
  • Random Clothing
  • Deco & Nouveau
  • Make-up
  • Architecture
  • Jewelry
  • Ethnic - This one is really rich and diverse. I'm continually amazed by how much beauty we can create. That said, I have to warn that some pictures include nudity. It's not at all prurient. There are just photos of people from cultures that view nudity differently than those of us in the European diaspora. Or the Middle East and Asia, for that matter. But anyone who is either uncomfortable with nudity or under age shouldn't look at these references. And I say that with the greatest respect. Only you can and should define your own boundaries.
  • Fairytale - This is sort of a catch-all for items that are either mimic or made from nature _or_ have ties to a culture but seem modernized and not authentically traditional. Like Lord of the Rings outfits vs. real medieval ones, or real period Chinese clothes vs. Hong Kong cinematic style. I'm often unsure about the last one, because I know too little about traditional Asian clothing. So please forgive me if I've mistakenly put something in Ethnic that should be in Fairytale or vice versa.
  • Hair - This has a lot of African diaspora hair styles, though not exclusively at all. It also includes head wraps, some head scarves, and some formal updos.
  • Architecture - These are still kind of all over the place. I have some specific ideas, but they're pulling from a lot of different places.
deviantART
These shouldn't have any nudity, but if they do (maybe hidden somewhere in Scenery), it should be blocked unless you are logged into an account specifically allowing it.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm not on, nor have any interest in, Pinterest, so can't view more than a few at the top of each page, but that's some collection you have. I thought I was bad, though mine don't include animals of any type. Ken would get a kick out of that sleeping Caiman Lizard. ;)

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Yay! The forum software likes me again. The JS was kind of crashing on me for a bit there.

I'm not on, nor have any interest in, Pinterest, so can't view more than a few at the top of each page, but that's some collection you have. I thought I was bad, though mine don't include animals of any type. Ken would get a kick out of that sleeping Caiman Lizard. ;)

Oh, I totally forgot about Pinterest's restriction. That is very annoying.

That said, I do highly recommend it for collecting reference images. For one thing, they have a browser extensions so you can pin pictures anywhere. For another, it copies the image, not just references it, but keeps the link to where you found it. For me, that's the best of both worlds. And the aspect I use least but should be much better about is that it lets you add notes. So when you know provenance you can give credit.

For me, it went very quickly from something that would come up in Google image searches and annoy me with what I couldn't see to something I depend on and use daily. So much so that I forgot my initial annoyance. Which is rare for me.

Which isn't to say that you should change your mind. I find Tumblr a nuisance, and have no interest in Instagram, so I totally understand picking and choosing what sites you want to join. I just thought I'd share my perspective as someone who went from not wanting to use Pinterest to using it all the time.

thanks Kobalt...I love pinterest! It's such a useful tool. This is the link to my account Pendraia Fae (pendraia)

Ooooo! I really like your pins. Thanks so much for sharing!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh my goodness, the Peafowl Colours has the white one I found awsome the first time I saw it last year. I had never seen one like that. Reminded me of an albino, but I suspect that's not true in this case.

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I didn't realize the Peafowl come in different colours until I started that board :D I think people call the whites Albino but I don't think they are, I think its just white covering the colour (like in the pied versions)

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Rae...I'm already following you though it's good to see the peacocks one.

Thanks Kobalt...I'm a bit addicted and I have teacher boards as well as those that are just for me. I tend to pin anything I think might be useful and I might want to find again.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks Kobaltkween, I haven't done any traditional art for over 3 years (got so sick that I could barely move let alone pick up a brush and go mad like I do :)).

Forgot to add this one, its a great reference for Barding (horse armor) but it has some nice Tack too as it didn't fit in any other folder I had and didn't want to make another :) : Horse Barding