• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Rectifying my mistake - PD is back...

Yep as the thread title says PoserDirect is back and like a puppy it's not just for xmas.

I won't post a long "why for" here, as that can be read on the sites About page. Suffice to say it's been a really bad year for us and I made a mistake in closing down the site. It's also something that a lot of you folks miss as well.

So around 2 weeks ago, I taught myself to code CSS and using a "Back to Basics" approach, rebuilt it from scratch. As well as a new design, with better navigation and usability, the focus is now on freebies and community arts. Which means the store has now been closed.

Not saying the new site is 100% perfect, there's a few coding Gremlins to catch and some of the newer freebies need to be added. But I hope it's something that you'll be able to enjoy.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Oh, wow - that's great news ! Hated the idea of your site going away...particularly for new folks to come!

WELCOME BACK!

Soooo, the site, of course, folks is

PoserDirect : Home

ps - looks great!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
YAY!! Looking nice and clean for sure.

The only thing I would suggest sir, is to take all those "styles" and create a separate document called, for example, styles.css, and then you can just set up a one line "link" to call it on each and every HTML page. That will clean up the Header section of all your pages.

Again, just a suggestion. :)

thanks everyone and Miss B - yep your correct there. I should know that from using "includes" years back. Something I always hated as the paths confused the b*gger out of me and why I'd avoided CSS until now.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I know, but having to scroll half way down to get to the actual page content when editing always annoyed me, so I started putting all that in a stylesheet (or sometimes 2), and then linking to it/them. Cleans up the code for you for sure.

As far as "includes" go, I only use those when coding the pages in PHP instead of HTML.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
YAY!! Looking nice and clean for sure.
The only thing I would suggest sir, is to take all those "styles" and create a separate document called, for example, styles.css, and then you can just set up a one line "link" to call it on each and every HTML page. That will clean up the Header section of all your pages.
Again, just a suggestion. :)
Yes, when I took an HTML class I followed it up with a CSS class, and we learned all about making style sheets so the site looked the same no matter what page you're on. We had to code by hand for the classes, so I learned a lot.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I much prefer coding by hand than any of the WYSIWYG software that's supposed to make it easier for you.

Of course, I often make my own templates, so I have something to start with before I get into a project.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Of course, I often make my own templates, so I have something to start with before I get into a project.

That was how I taught the kids web design at school. Coding by hand, HTML and css, but I gave them some dummy data files and some templates to choose from to start with. Then they could learn to fiddle with each type of element one at a time while still having something visually pleasing and 'finished-looking' on their screen. Once you've got your basic css sheet and pointers set up it's easy enough for ten-year-olds, if you're sticking to making one change at a time.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Once you've got your basic css sheet and pointers set up it's easy enough for ten-year-olds, if you're sticking to making one change at a time.
The best way to figure out what's wrong as well. If you try "fixing" more than one thing at a time, it'll take quite a while before you find the culprit. ;)

You just reminded me of a designer/developer acquaintance of mine who published a book years ago. She uploaded a basic HTML page, and told our online group we could participate by submitting a design or two to her, and she would pick out about a half dozen of them for inclusion in the book. One of mine made it. The second one might have if I had gotten it to her on time. Six designs with the same basic HTML, and not one of them looked even remotely the same. Of course, in that case we all had experience, so it was just different visualizations of the same coding.