• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Quixel Sale $79 for Indie. CAN be used commercially.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Quixel is back on sale for anyone who was on the fence last time. Not sure how long it'll last.

Quixel Suite 2

An Internet connection is required to activate the license. Compatible with Win XP and above, and Photoshop CS3 and above.

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That seems a really good price, though I haven't really looked into it, so I'll think about it, and maybe the next time it's on sale, I'll be ready to buy it.

I may download the trial and see what it's all about. Thanks for the heads-up.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh does it not work with CS2? Did I just spend 10 mins. d/ling 1.5gb for nothing???

Oh well, it was a thought. :)

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Yea I'm not quite sure why it's only CS3+ as I don't know all the ins/outs of the different versions of Photoshop. My only guess is something that was introduced in CS3 that gets utilized.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Too bad it doesn't have a standalone version like Filter Forge does.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
It's not a standalone because it's basically a Photoshop plugin. It makes heavy use of Photoshop's layers and layer styles. Anything done in Quixel can technically be done manually, but you wouldn't have 3d painting and would have to do each map individually rather than all maps at once. You'd also have to figure out what all the layers are doing and why.

Miss B

CV-BEE
AHA, OK. That pretty much explains it. I know with Filter Forge I can use it as a standalone, though I usually only do that when I'm search their extensive database for new filters. Then, of course, there's the .8bf file to use within Photoshop.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
@Miss B Yea, I've had FF (although I uninstalled it when I moved over to Substance Designer), but it's a fully contained app. It makes no usage of Photoshop's internal tools. Same with the Niktools I have/use. I can run those standalone or from within Photoshop. The only benefit to running it from within Photoshop is it will read the active layer as opposed to manually importing an image.

@Pendraia Yes it does.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
So far I have only seen it being used with monsters, props, robots, and vehicles. I make mostly human characters and clothing, so I wonder if it would do me any good? Has anyone tried?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Vaskania beat me to it...I've bought it but still trying to learn my way around using it. I still haven't gotten my head around using the id's and how to create them simply.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Keep in mind if texturing Daz/Poser figures, to work properly in Quixel, you'll need to split the mesh up by UV map, then possibly create Color ID maps for the different bits per map as well so you can easily mask layers to certain parts. To give you a better idea of what I mean, here's grab from Blender showing my 4 different meshes (I selected each island of a single map and split the mesh, I did this for each map I needed the parts for). In my case, I'd select all > save as obj > then make sure OBJ as OBJ Groups was checked.

g3f_quixelsetup.PNG

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Here's a shot in 3dO. For my purposes, I completely delete the meshes for the eyes and inner mouth. Also, my color IDs are set up to match those of her actual material zones. Hence why her eye surface and waterline are the same color, since G3F doesn't have separate material zones for those two anymore.

g3f_3do.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the info Vaskania...I think I'm going to need a step by step for dummies. I'll check out the manual and see what it says...
So with the bits you've deleted to you texture those separately?

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Yep. The mouth is kind of a pain in the butt, so I may start off with merchant resources and go from there. The eyes I may tackle 2D as well, or something like substance designer. I'm just barely touching the surface for figure painting, and I won't be doing any pretty girls as horror is my passion. I'm also a little more comfortable with hard surface texturing than organic, so we'll see what happens.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
I noticed you mention finding a way to create color ids simply. What I do is create a new material for each bit I want and set it to a solid flat diffuse and bake that out with a 16px padding. You're going to want the padding to help with any seam issues while you're painting (if you've ever seen a texture map where the color/texture went outside of the bounds of the uv itself, that's padding).