• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Quixel 2.0 Is Released!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hey folks just to let you know that Quixel 2.0 is out officially. Hopefully all that qualify are updated and up and running.... if not you can go here: Quixel to see more about it.

Here are some vids from YouTube:

Quixel SUITE 2.0 Workflow Primer:

DDO Painter for UE4:

Quixel SUITE 2.0 Painting Prime:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the video links!! That painting primer looks pretty awesome!!! I love how they applied the highlights. Really helpful for that and Anime style cell shading.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yea, I've got it installed but never had the time today to play so it will have to wait but I did watch all three vids and am anxiously awaiting more. From the looks of things this 2nd version looks to be a winner! :)

AetherDream

Breathing Life into Characters
Contributing Artist
Wow, just checked this out. I might have to get this when I get up the funds. It looks like there might be a bit of a learning curve for me, but I think it might eventually make texture creation much easier, particularly when dealing with seams, the bane of my existence.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I imagine you can texture anything you want. It's a plugin for Photoshop basically.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Does it do textures for my poser stuff?
It can, but they need to be set up first. Quixel doesn't go by the material zones, but rather the object as a whole. You'd need to create what's known as a Color ID map for your material zones. At the very least, you'll need a color id map to input when you set up the project, for ease of texturing.

My suggestion would be to look up baking in your modeler of choice to get a feel for what would be involved. If you're familiar with blender, Quixel's material picking FBX are usable within it, and I can point you towards a quick addon that saves out the color ID map from the UVs with ease.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the tips Pixie...I'm hopefully going to get it set up today. Just hoping the sale lasts till the end of the week.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Isn't Color ID basically saving out your obj with different diffuse coloring in the various zones?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
From what I've seen of Quixel stuff (haven't watched the vids yet), it always looked to me to be a hard surfaces painting app. I'd like to know too, if it can be used on things such as clothes. Not sure I'd use it for character skinning, but texturing clothing is a must.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Isn't Color ID basically saving out your obj with different diffuse coloring in the various zones?
Sort of. You set the colours on the different zones (if 3 zones are to be the same material, set all 3 zones the same colour, etc), but you bake the map to a diffuse map. So you'll get a funky coloured UV essentially. I'll attach one of mine from one of the morphing fantasy dresses I was using in some testing. I don't believe the OBJ has to retain the matching colours. As long as the UV is for the corresponding OBJ it should be good to go. I inserted the thumbnail, I believe you'll be able to click it for the bigger one (first attachment for me on these new forums).
Colour_ID.jpg

From what I've seen of Quixel stuff (haven't watched the vids yet), it always looked to me to be a hard surfaces painting app. I'd like to know too, if it can be used on things such as clothes. Not sure I'd use it for character skinning, but texturing clothing is a must.
Clothes and characters are what I intend to use it for. It can be used for anything really. Your imagination is pretty much your only hurdle once you learn the suite.

Would ZBrush poly groups do for colour id?
Can you assign actual colour to polygroups? I don't use it, but the bf does (except he does game assets, not daz/poser). He said you'd have to colour the subtools themselves (whatever that means lol) because polygroups don't contain any colour data as far as he knows. Here's a page on baking Zbrush materials to a texture map, which is essentially what a colour ID map would be, just in flat colours and not actual textures. // Baking ZBrush Materials to a Texture Map by Joseph Drust

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
It automatically assigns new colours to different poly groups. If I'm understanding correctly you just create a diffuse from polygroups and then export it. Or is there an extra step needed?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Clothes and characters are what I intend to use it for. It can be used for anything really. Your imagination is pretty much your only hurdle once you learn the suite.
That's encouraging Vask. I downloaded it the other day, so will install it and give it a go. ;)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I can easily create that in my UV program. I tend to make allot of polygroups, depending on the item I'm created, in ZBrush. When exported the polygroups are basically "groups" so in Ultimate Unwrap Pro I just click on group, create a surface material and then assign a color to that. When saving out the UV's I export them color coded and I'm set to go. When opened up in DS for the first time it loads with the colors, not all white.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've done some UV Maps in Blender with color coding, though I tend to do that more with clothing, and not necessarily with props.