• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Question about old version installers

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
I noticed that I need to cut back on files on my hard drive and I noticed I have both 4R7 and 4R8 installers on my computer and in my one drive. Do I need both? I know if I delete them from my computer it will delete them from my one drive too, I think. I am going through my one drive to see what I can delete and want to make sure I can delete those two files.

quietrob

Extraordinary
You have ZBrush?

How big are the files? You could always move them to a flash drive and delete them. Generally you do NOT need to keep the installer for anything you pay for. It can always be replaced once you show you have the proper license. I do keep everything, but I'm paranoid about losing stuff.

D

Deleted member 325

I back up things like that to DVD if/when I can.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
If 4r8 is working fine for you, the 4r7 installer can be deleted. Also if you have ZBrush 2018, you can still run either 4r8 or 2018.

I've installed ZBrush 2018 and copied all my custom/downloaded brushes, alphas, textures, etc. etc. into the 2018 folders. Once I'm happy that everything in 2018 is working, I will delete 4r8.

Ghostman

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
What Bonnie said.
For brushes and alphas i use XMDToolbox. That way i can have my brushes and alphas anywhere i want. :)

D

Deleted member 325

Problem is that I do not have a dvd writer on my new computer.
I would really urge getting a blue-ray/dvd writer. Internal SATA models are relatively inexpensive ($20 or so) and with a god sale on double sided DVD media it works out to a quarter a disc for Sony or Verbatim. I haven't worked with blank blue ray yet, but I am looking at them because the multi layer discs can hold up 128gb per disc on quad-layer discs.

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
I would really urge getting a blue-ray/dvd writer. Internal SATA models are relatively inexpensive ($20 or so) and with a god sale on double sided DVD media it works out to a quarter a disc for Sony or Verbatim. I haven't worked with blank blue ray yet, but I am looking at them because the multi layer discs can hold up 128gb per disc on quad-layer discs.
How about an external Blue-ray as this is a laptop?

D

Deleted member 325

I have not used Externals much myself, and have heard mixed reviews. I do not like to actually recommend or decry a product having not tried it. I would say though, that with an external, I would definitely be much more conscience of brand and quality prior to purchase as an external will be subjected to more day to day stresses that can affect laser alignment and such.