• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Question about Content

icedragonart

Admirable
Is there a way to find out if something is Daz compatible as well as Poser? I know a lot of Poser content will work in Studio but sometimes its really not clear in the listing. I would love to purchase the Tavern Wench Dress for Dawn but it just says Poser 9 and doesn't say if it will work in Studio or not.... a lot of products say Poser only or Studio only which is great but the ones that don't add the only kind of leave it up in the air. I honestly would buy a lot more items if it was clear that they worked in Studio as well as in Poser.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
The best way is to ask in the CA's forum thread. QAV does not typically check things in the program the item's not designed for.

Some Poser content might be able to be used in DAZ Studio but often needs adjustments. We do not typically label things as compatible with both programs unless it was designed for that program and usually only if there are files in that program's format. Otherwise, we're just taking a guess and would have customers asking us or the CA why it won't work in their program of choice.

Poser Poses usually work in DS but again, if the CA hasn't created DS format files, it's labeled as Poser.

I just tried this in DAZ Studio for you. It DOES come in, but there are 4 body parts that show up in Poser (skirtBack, skirtFront, skirtLeft and skirtRight) that are critical to making it work in poses. These body parts do not show up in DS. So I'd say this is not going to work really well in DS. Sorry :(.

icedragonart

Admirable
The best way is to ask in the CA's forum thread. QAV does not typically check things in the program the item's not designed for.

Some Poser content might be able to be used in DAZ Studio but often needs adjustments. We do not typically label things as compatible with both programs unless it was designed for that program and usually only if there are files in that program's format. Otherwise, we're just taking a guess and would have customers asking us or the CA why it won't work in their program of choice.

Poser Poses usually work in DS but again, if the CA hasn't created DS format files, it's labeled as Poser.

I just tried this in DAZ Studio for you. It DOES come in, but there are 4 body parts that show up in Poser (skirtBack, skirtFront, skirtLeft and skirtRight) that are critical to making it work in poses. These body parts do not show up in DS. So I'd say this is not going to work really well in DS. Sorry :(.

Don't apologize! I appreciate your taking the time to check for me! I am still new enough that I just don't always know what to look for to know what works with what and how things are labelled. I don't mind tweaking a bit but don't want to buy something that doesn't work at all. And thank you for letting me know where to ask, I had no idea and was just posting in the spot the looked most likely lol.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
If you have DynCreator you could maybe use it as a dynamic item...I don't have the dress so I can't try it for you.

@Alisa, did you use the Transfer Utility or Autofit when weightmapping it? Transfer Utility works better with some things than autofit does.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
@Alisa, did you use the Transfer Utility or Autofit when weightmapping it? Transfer Utility works better with some things than autofit does.

I don't know what you're asking, Pen? I just opened it up in DAZ Studio to see if it works.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So did you try to convert it to DS weight mapping at all? I'm assuming that just loading it means opening it in DS. Normally body handles will show up in the converted files but autofit squishes them sometimes. There were problems initially using autofit and the Transfer utility it is the preferred way for many to convert the weightmapping because of this. But Dawn to Dawn shouldn't need a conversion as it's the right size. I don't have the dress or I'd have a look at it myself. Normally there stuff converts okay...

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Ah. Got ya.

No, I just opened it in DS and chose unsupported figure to autofit. And thus the reason we don't claim DS compatibility for stuff like this. Someone who wants to take time to work with it might well be able to fix things, go through the transfer utility, etc. but most people want to open it and use it.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I totally understand the issues of compatibility...and yes most people want to click and play.

As I don't own the dress I can't check further for icedragonart I would have liked to be able to help.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
My suggestion would be to try one of EI's Dawn freebies from their website, run it through autofit using Dvl's projection templates from sharecg and have a go. I've got all their Dawn and Dusk freebies and a number of purchased items, they've all fitted. The only things I steer clear of are long dresses or skirts...having no modelling ability I can't get the kinks at the bottom out.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yeah, it's the skirt portion that's the issue with this. As you say, I suspect some of the other items would work in DS.

FYI, some of Dawn's freebies will also be coming here...hopefully next week (though they'll remain available at EI's website as well).

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That's nice Alisa...

Dvl_Lvd's clean gown template works quite well on skirts especially if you not converting from another figure. The type of distortion Lorraine's talking about mainly happens when you convert stuff from a different figure. It shouldn't distort at all if it's been made for Dawn as it's only adding the weightmapping. I recently converted this to Dawn from genesis manually in Zbrush and it was weightmapped with the gown projection template. I have not fiddled at all with the settings for the weightmapping. The only smoothing is a default 2 as I always add a smoothing modifier to assist with poke thru when posing. I also used /played with the right skirt setting and bend for the back leg...
Dawn in LLFDress.jpg

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
That looks great! Yes, it is when I convert from another figure to Dawn that I get the grief. I had forgotten that!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
It does work better with some meshes than others. I think it comes down to the number of polys and that with lower poly items you may see some distortion when posed with a leg forward or back and need to add some smoothing to those areas.