• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Potential New System Poser.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
@Hornet3d Thanks, guess I have just been feeling a bit in every ones way/a bit of a disappointment lately so have been apologizing by default first.
Yeah I thought it might be a bit like that but good to get input from folks who know more than I do

Hornet3d

Wise
So where did you order from? IOW, is it a specific brand, or did you hire someone to build it for you?

Here in the UK there is a computer component supplier call Scan that I have used to purchase all the parts on my last two builds. They also build computers, either as Scan or also under the name of 3XS systems which will build a fully custom computer if you wish. They do however have base systems to meet particular requirements such as Pro Graphic, Pro Audio, Pro Video, Pro Gaming, Simulators and so on. In each category they offer a verity systems based around particular processors but each of these base systems can be configured to some degree. You might have a choice of cases, a few processors, couple of motherboards and so on, the downside is that your choices are limited the up side is that all the choices are compatible. This means you don't have choose a case and then start looking measurements ts see if your choice of graphic card will fit. As you choose each item the price is updated so you can play with the config to get the best bang for for your buck. In theory, once your system build is started you can track the progress in real time and also email you with pictures as the build progresses. I say in theory as this is the first build I have purchased from them. I have however seen a number of systems they have built and they have all been well put together and cabled out, each system is supplied with a USB memory stick which can be used to take the system back to day one and also has a number of diagnostic tools. A nice touch is that the memory stick is held on a Velcro pad inside the system (on the case floor) which stops the panic of looking for it in an emergency. The computers are doubled box for shipment and the inside filled with bubble warp on the inside and large stickers on the outside making it clear this needs to be removed before start up.

As I didn't want to do a self build this gave me the option to customize the system to a large degree. While there are cheaper systems around the other big advantage is that all the components are Branded and off the shelf so there should be no weak link in the system. In my case I was able to pick a Fractal Design case that will complement my existing system which I will keep for network rendering. The motherboard is a high end ASUS, memory from Corsair, as is the PSU, SSDs from Samsung, all the sort of kit I would be looking at for a self build but with the bother of having to research, build and design the system. Yes it cost more but as this is a long outstanding settlement of a pension payout I am treating myself.

They also include 24/7 technical support and the system has a 3 year warranty, the first year on site and years two and three return to base which is all included in the price quoted.

Last edited:

Hornet3d

Wise
@Hornet3d Thanks, guess I have just been feeling a bit in every ones way/a bit of a disappointment lately so have been apologizing by default first.
Yeah I thought it might be a bit like that but good to get input from folks who know more than I do

Well from where I am sitting you have never got in my way, quite the opposite, I have always enjoyed your posts and look forward to any input you have. I hope life picks up for you very soon and and you can fell a little happier.

As to the system, all in ones are great where you want computing power with a small footprint. While I am OK using a tablet I personally found the touch screen to be a pain as reaching for the screen seemed less efficient than a mouse. The big problem is the restricted space, in fact many used a laptop motherboard complete with the processor and graphics unit so the expansion options are as limited, if not more so, as the standard laptop.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Here in the UK there is a computer component supplier call Scan that I have used to purchase all the parts on my last two builds. They also build computers, either as Scan or also under the name of 3XS systems which will build a fully custom computer if you wish.
Ahhh, that sounds like NewEgg here in the U.S., which is where I would go for that sort of setup.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well looks like I am having a rethink. I rang today as my order had gone nowhere and was told that the motherboard was out of stock but expected any day and the processor was also out of stock and was not expected at least until the 15th. I am not in that much of a hurry but when I placed the order the system clearly stated it would be shipped before the end of the week, some hope if the parts won't even be there until 15th. So I agree to a different motherboard that is in stock and also another processor even though this will add £300 to the bill. Promised they would do that, still no movement so I ring again just before the close of business only to be told they will use the more expensive processor but only if the cheaper one does not come into stock on 15th. Despite this I could go on the the component site tomorrow and order the more expensive processor for next day delivery like five days earlier than they decide to use it.

Looks like I am going to be cancelling and self building after all but I still remain confused as to why it is so difficult to actually spend money and why companies cannot stick to agreements.

Hornet3d

Wise
Ahhh, that sounds like NewEgg here in the U.S., which is where I would go for that sort of setup.

I suspect the difference is that New Egg give the level of customer service expected in the US (good) where as we get the expected level of service for the UK, abysmal or non existent. I remember years ago, when I was working on a support desk, I was awarded a large bonus after a client sent a glowing report of dealings he had with me to my manager. I was surprised as I had not provided any service I regarded as above and beyond, later the customer told me that, in his experience, most technical support departments in the UK were neither technical or supportive.........go figure.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm not sure, as I don't know that company at all, but I suspect the email/receipt you got initially was automatically generated. I can't imagine someone actually typing that all out every time someone orders something online. I've noticed a few companies here will say it will take 5-7 days to receive it, and then I get it in 3 or 4, and I think they're just being careful, especially if there's a weekend or holiday in that time span.

As far as something turning out to be out of stock, that's something their site should state, so someone wasn't updating the information on the product page, and for that I would definitely put full blame on them.

Hornet3d

Wise
I'm not sure, as I don't know that company at all, but I suspect the email/receipt you got initially was automatically generated. I can't imagine someone actually typing that all out every time someone orders something online. I've noticed a few companies here will say it will take 5-7 days to receive it, and then I get it in 3 or 4, and I think they're just being careful, especially if there's a weekend or holiday in that time span.

As far as something turning out to be out of stock, that's something their site should state, so someone wasn't updating the information on the product page, and for that I would definitely put full blame on them.

The response is automatically generated as you would expect but the point is I looked on the site and noticed that the processor is out of stock and not due until 15th of the month, the motherboard was out of stock and due in today......guess what, supplies never arrived. Knowing this I rang this morning and spoke a member of the build team and we agreed on a change of processor and motherboard so that the order could proceed. Yet when I rang tonight the rep said they would only use the different processor, which I had agreed to pay the extra for, if the other one was not in stock on 15th. That gave me two issues, first is that is not what was agreed and second they were waiting until 15th to start a build that was supposed to be delivered on 1oth or 11th. What made it worse was that the rep decided to treat me as an idiot, now I may well be that but I don't like being treated like one. I then complained to another member of the team and I suggested he read the 'chat' transcript and then come back to on how he would feel if he was the customer.

Not sure if he read the transcript but he must have pushed it up the line as I had a manager ring me just over and hour ago The department had closed two hours earlier, so this was above and beyond from his point of view. Used a method I had used before where I explained clearly why I was upset and asked him to explain to me where or how I was being unreasonable, it sort of puts you on an equal level. Anyway, long and short of it is we have an agreement that means, if the sticks to his side I will continue with the order, if not I will cancel. Happily, as I ordered it over the Internet I have at least a 14 day cooling off period in which I can cancel without penalty. Strange thing is actually pointed out where their web site configurator has a flaw (hang over from my days as a field trial manager) and I am surprised I am the first to highlight and that it has not been highlighted before. Give the guy his due though he has promised to look into that as well and call me tomorrow. Nice to know I can still use the negotiating skills I was taught so many years ago but back in those days such negotiations were fun, these days I really would much rather not have the hassle. I have either mellowed over the years or become lazy, maybe both.

We will see what tomorrow brings but if I do cancel I think I will wait a while and then do a self build. Much as I didn't want to it appears that may give me the least amount of hassle in the long run

Hornet3d

Wise
OK looks like things are back on track as I have been advised the system is being built as I speak. Had to tweak the spec due to stock shortages so I had the change my choice of a motherboard and that worked in my favor as I was able to chose a Gigabyte board that was not an option on the configuring system. I have used Gigabvte boards for years so I am happy with that and it was a cheaper thanks to a few less flashing LEDs that I am happy to do without. Bigger problem was the CPU in that I have had to change to a Threadipper 1950 instead of a 1920X and this was an additional cost but offset to some degree by the savings on the motherboard. I will just have to put up with the fact that I will now have 32 threads not the 24 of the 1920X.

Reviews suggest the CPU is not the best choice for a gaming machine but that is not what I was looking for. I could not find any reviews that showed the CPU being used for Poser but the figures for Blender are stunning and faster than some more expensive CPUs.

So I am a happier bunny at the moment but still wonder why everything is a struggle and you have to shout to get the service you deserve. Having said that, with the exception of the service team who managed to push all my buttons with stunning ease, all the other contacts have been positive and the guy now dealing with the matter has really put himself out, he even rang back when he promised to. That is not a criticism of him as he has been great, but in my experience promises to ring back are rarely fulfilled whether the company be involved in computers, banking, hotel, flights of any other services that come to mind.

Hornet3d

Wise
So I have gone ahead and purchased a new system using the advice above I have gone with the 1080ti, thank you for the advice everyone and for the advice and data Kivuli. The card in question is the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC which has 11Gig on board and the system has 64Gig. I have downloaded the Octane demo so I have some idea of the render times and can also see I will have to work on the materials. While I save up for this I am working through the documentation but would welcome any advice from anyone already using Poser and Octane as regards the pros, cons and the sort of learning curve I can look forward to.