• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Postage Stamp Art Challenge

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
THAT ACTION I FOUND IS LOUSY... so I'm working on providing me/us all either a brush or an action for the border (free of course) and I'm going to try my first "stamp" today... :) I wish I could remember how the heck I did that border in that class... but yikes that was about 20 or more years ago!?!?

Did you possibly use edit in standard mode and the quick mask mode?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Why would you use edit for an action? Is this something different in newer versions...wouldn't you run it through the actions tab and it automatically create it? I haven't downloaded the file but that's how I would have thought it would be used. I haven't made actions in a long time but remember creating and using them when doing my course at uni.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Here's the frame...hope it's okay.

I also downloaded your frame, Pen... nice one! It can't be resized in the usual way, but I imagine if one wanted say a rectangle shape it could be "cut in half" by copying HALF of the square, paste over it, and move it UP to match the cut outs, and so end up with a horizontal or vertical "rectangle" - if that makes ANY SENSE? I can see it in my head.... LOL!

Also the B/W can be "inversed" so the "cut out" border and image can be white... I'm thinking...

My shoulder joint (my tendency to frozen shoulders) REALLY gave me heck and I had to stop "talking" - typing AT ALL for a couple of days... and now I have to LIMIT my typing a LOT to help recover!! I over did it badly.

I do have more stamp ideas, though... hope others join in with this idea as well... :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Do you know Lyne I have only just realised it didn't save like I expected it to. So I've resaved it and will reupload it. It should have had the black on a separate layer. Not sure what happened there. You should be able to resize the frame in one of two ways. Resize the image with the frame to your image size and copy and paste or. Load the selection on the frame and copy and paste it in and then use free transform. Sorry about it saving the black layer with the frame itself.

I'll go and reupload the image now...

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Why would you use edit for an action? Is this something different in newer versions...wouldn't you run it through the actions tab and it automatically create it? I haven't downloaded the file but that's how I would have thought it would be used. I haven't made actions in a long time but remember creating and using them when doing my course at uni.
Oh no it's not an action option. I remember using the edit in standard mode and then apply a quick mask to create a fast photo frame.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Do you know Lyne I have only just realised it didn't save like I expected it to. So I've resaved it and will reupload it. It should have had the black on a separate layer. Not sure what happened there. You should be able to resize the frame in one of two ways. Resize the image with the frame to your image size and copy and paste or. Load the selection on the frame and copy and paste it in and then use free transform. Sorry about it saving the black layer with the frame itself.

Ohhh, I didn't even think of that. I just selected the black area and deleted. Also, since you saved it as a PNG, you could also have removed the black altogether, and just saved it with "transparency" checked. That way only the white border would've been saved.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear

ah thanks! Not sure my brain "gets it" but will try resizing... SEEMS like the border would change the cutout SHAPE if you resized WITHOUT constraining it... but could be my brain! :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
If by constraining you mean maintaining the size ratio, hold shift while using free transform to resize. It should only change the size as long as you maintain the square shape. Edited to add I'm assuming you would be using the corner arrow to resize...

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
um I mean if you DON'T maintain the size ratio.... but really never mind... I can't type enough to explain my brain...maybe I'll do pictures. ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I think I get what you mean that it would stretch? If you changed it to a rectangle? I'd probably copy and paste the frame into your image. Then Put a guideline down the centre of the image then select the smaller side of the frame and delete that section. Then duplicate the layer with the frame and load selection, free transform and put the little gizmo from the centre of the free transform onto the guideline and flip horizontal/vertical. Hope this makes sense.

Edited to add you may need to play with it a bit if the frame isn't either halfway through a circle or the inbetween bit.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Lots of ways to do it...I've always liked using the free transform gizmo as it will centre on that line if you move it. Should line up perfectly without moving it around.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I use that fairly often too, though not so much for resizing. I think I use it mostly for rotating, which in this case would come in handy.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Finally got this done... I just have to use Ken's Luna moth and PAINT it into a Chinese Luna Moth... and make it a stamp! :)

ChineseLunaMothPost.jpg

PS I found the symbol for "yen" on the net... I wanted it to look a LITTLE more 'authentic'. :)

Forgot to say I got the "pine needles" background from one of the public domain image websites (that I listed in HiveWire's Sharing/Freebie forums)

Last edited:

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Uhhhh, Pen. I think you meant 2/10/2016. Here in the US, we put the month first, and then the day and year.

BTW, this should be a fun render challenge. ;)

Thats 2nd October 2016 to me, :p:p:p:p
Great idea folks, just reading through and i will post mine.

edit - lol POST mine! get it! :D