• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

poser will not work on my mac

Carey

Extraordinary
I use OS 10.13.6 I bought poser 12 for mac and it won't open even with 32 meg of memory 12 cores and a 3 gig video card can't seem to raise any one at renderousity for help or refund

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I have a copy of Poser 12 that was given to me but yeah I can't run it on any of my current Macs either. I had been planning to get a new refurb tower but man I really don't want to use OS 10.15:) Guess I won't have a choice.

Anyone out there running the new Poser 12 on Mac yet? Would love to hear what you are using for a video card etc.

Carey

Extraordinary
Shame they set the requirements so high, it takes a mac no older then 2017 to handle that operating system...only a professional could afford such a machine....My pc is just as old as my mac, it runs poser 12 just fine....My blood doesn't run that rich

Carey

Extraordinary
Shame they set the requirements so high, it takes a mac no older then 2017 to handle that operating system...only a professional could afford such a machine....My pc is just as old as my mac, it runs poser 12 just fine....My blood doesn't run that rich....May Poser 11 live long and prosper...How does that Vulcan hand shake go again? At any rate I shall attempt to go where no poser artist has gone before.....using poser 11...beam me up Scotty....

Darryl

Adventurous
That's a shame. My ancient Mac won't go past High Sierra so I'll stick with Poser 11. Worst part is, it doesn't bother me very much.

Kerya

Brilliant

Attachments

• VulcanGreeting.jpg
    VulcanGreeting.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 132

Carey

Extraordinary
I have a copy of Poser 12 that was given to me but yeah I can't run it on any of my current Macs either. I had been planning to get a new refurb tower but man I really don't want to use OS 10.15:) Guess I won't have a choice.

Anyone out there running the new Poser 12 on Mac yet? Would love to hear what you are using for a video card etc.
I mis-spoke, I just put together a work station, can you imagine my wife's reaction when a new mac suddenly showed up....And I'm in trouble like it is...See, this really nice work station had already showed up at our door....

an0malaus

Inspired
I've heard Poser 12 will actually run on macOS 10.14 Mojave (I've spoken to someone who tests on that platform)

What model mac do you have? I have 2 27" iMacs. One from 2011 on macOS 10.12.6 Sierra (12,2), which can't install Mojave since it doesn't have a Metal capable GPU, so won't run Poser 12 (except in Parallels Desktop on Windows 10) and one from 2013 (14,2) which I've managed to upgrade to 10.15.7 Catalina, so Poser 12 does run there, even though the NVidia GPU doesn't have Metal2 support and only has 1GB VRAM.

Both iMacs have 32GB RAM, with AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB in the 2011, and an NVidia GeForce GT 755M 1GB in the 2013. Neither of them can do GPU rendering in Poser (Though the AMD does get used in Blender). I upgraded the 2013 from a core i5 CPU to a core i7, but it needs extra cooling to avoid CPU throttling when rendering (vacuum cleaner running at 25% with the nozzle covering the iMac exhaust vents works a treat to prevent throttling). Obviously its heatsink wasn't designed for a higher powered CPU.

Last edited:

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I've heard Poser 12 will actually run on macOS 10.14 Mojave (I've spoken to someone who tests on that platform)

What model mac do you have? I have 2 27" iMacs. One from 2011 on macOS 10.12.6 Sierra (12,2), which can't install Mojave since it doesn't have a Metal capable GPU, so won't run Poser 12 (except in Parallels Desktop on Windows 10) and one from 2013 (14,2) which I've managed to upgrade to 10.15.7 Catalina, so Poser 12 does run there, even though the NVidia GPU doesn't have Metal2 support and only has 1GB VRAM.

Both iMacs have 32GB RAM, with AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB in the 2011, and an NVidia GeForce GT 755M 1GB in the 2013. Neither of them can do GPU rendering in Poser (Though the AMD does get used in Blender). I upgraded the 2013 from a core i5 CPU to a core i7, but it needs extra cooling to avoid CPU throttling when rendering (vacuum cleaner running at 25% with the nozzle covering the iMac exhaust vents works a treat to prevent throttling). Obviously its heatsink wasn't designed for a higher powered CPU.

Well I don't have anything currently that can run it ( I am still using my 2010 Mac Pro tower/OS 10.11 and don't want to uprgrade that machine any further as it still has my Adobe CS6 on it and I want to preserve that machine as much as/as long as possible:)- was looking to grab a new refurb with this config:

2012 Mac Pro
3.46GHZ 6-Core Xeon W3690
48GB RAM
8GB XFX Radeon RX 580 CPU
Mojave (10.14 with Metal)

I was told that no this above machine can not run 10.15 so hence my hesitation/desire to see if Poser 12 will run with Mojave/the metal GPU etc.

Why in the heck is Poser 12 needing 10.15 anyway???? Heck the latest DS actually runs on Mac OS 10.7 for pete's sake... I will give Daz credit for that...especially given their early track record for Mac support was pretty bad.

Thanks!!

Carey

Extraordinary
All It seems what I can do is flash my bios and install mojive...Ran into another problem though and I thank the lord I didn't install 12 on my mac...It appears that poser 12 ate my poser 11 on my pc and i can't get it back unless poser 12 is gone..I not sure i can get it back even then...I keep hearing Alice Cooper singing, "Welcome to my nightmare" I wanted to support the development of poser 12, but poser 12 is a killer app...I really mean that

Carey

Extraordinary
You should still be able to download Poser 11: Poser - 3D Rendering & Animation Software

Scroll down to:

Downloads - Poser 11​

Click here for installers and included content.
What 12 killed was my pythons like all the work I put into easy skin and dyson not to mention several other pythons...That is what I will have trouble replacing... 12 was jerky and hard to move around in.. and it is that that 12 seems to over written in eleven...12 doesn't appear to fully shut down and seems to searched out and destroyed easy skin & settings and dyson though it might have done it while 12 was open.. i am not willing to say 12 is total crap.. i think if I had the money and time to relearn how to use poser 12 and buy the utility parts to bring 12 up to the standards i had achieved in 11 i could learn to love it. I would love to keep it and work in it but not at the price 12 wants to demand. poser 11 and poser 12 can't live on the same computer together and while i could give 12 it's own computer that meets all of 12's requirements why would I want to bother? What would the gain really be? Facing a major investment in money and time just to be able to play around in 12 until once again i could do professional looking work looks to me like beating a dead dog in hopes I can teach him to do new tricks....

Carey

Extraordinary

my pc is highly up dated hp Z820 work station though it is ten years old with a new firepro 2 gig gpu, 64 gig of memory and ssd hard drives...my mac could run 12 if I flash the bios, upgrade my GPU perhaps and install mojave on it's new SSD drive, but I'm 64 years old, well into my second childhood, think i'd rather just go fishing while I can still remember how to bait a hook....lol

oh my mac has a radeon hd 7970 3 gig, don't know if it supports metal, but at the price I paid for it, it had better learn how to cook and flip pancakes....

Carey

Extraordinary
Thanks every one for your continued comments and ideas, that and your sense of humor.. It is not all bad, I still have ten fingers....

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
What 12 killed was my pythons like all the work I put into easy skin and dyson not to mention several other pythons...That is what I will have trouble replacing... 12 was jerky and hard to move around in.. and it is that that 12 seems to over written in eleven...12 doesn't appear to fully shut down and seems to searched out and destroyed easy skin & settings and dyson though it might have done it while 12 was open.. i am not willing to say 12 is total crap.. i think if I had the money and time to relearn how to use poser 12 and buy the utility parts to bring 12 up to the standards i had achieved in 11 i could learn to love it. I would love to keep it and work in it but not at the price 12 wants to demand. poser 11 and poser 12 can't live on the same computer together and while i could give 12 it's own computer that meets all of 12's requirements why would I want to bother? What would the gain really be? Facing a major investment in money and time just to be able to play around in 12 until once again i could do professional looking work looks to me like beating a dead dog in hopes I can teach him to do new tricks....
Don't have Apple gear of any type. Never had and run homemade PCs so take this with a grain of salt. P11 and P12 can run together on the same computer at the same time unless you are trying to do concurrent CPU renders. For that my machine doesn't have the gonads and I am not entirely sure it would work even if I did have a more powerful machine. I do not know about Macs but I have both P11 and P12 running on 10 year old PCs. Side by side at the same time on the same PC. Two monitors. P12 is finicky about the second monitor.

P11 and P12 install into different directories. They do not share anything unless you tell them to. The installs are completely separate unless you direct the installs to the same directory. There is a difference with Python. P12 uses Python 3.something whereas P11 used Python 2.7. That version of Python has reached end of life and has been discontinued. For scripts like Ken's Scatter Tool I am forced to keep both versions of Poser running at the same time untill this script is available for P12. Dyson will not be updated as I hear. Other scripts such as ezSkin are being reworked now.

Never having used a Mac I cannot vouch for the Mac directory. Windows uses UAC. User Access Control. This is to keep stupid people from installing stuff into the main operating system or malware from infecting a system. This (i was told) does not exist on a Mac. I would look to see if your P12 install is being directed to install over P11. It should not do so. This includes purchasing the 11-12 upgrade. The upgrade will install into it's own directory without impacting a previous Poser installation. The Poser installer is self-contained. Upgrade or full version the installer is the same and it's the serial number that unlocks version type.