• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser Firefly Candles ?

3dcheapskate

Engaged
Very cool stuff going on here!
Thanks. I just re-rendered the scene I used 5 and 6 posts back, but with all four point lights turned off, and IDL enabled instead. PP2014.

idl.jpg

Obviously Ambient_Strength=1.0 isn't enough for 2' tall candles.

3dcheapskate

Engaged
For anybody who wants to play I've (hopefully, forum allowing) attached a PP2 containing a single candle (as used in the four candles renders) plus an LT2 containing a single point light for the flame (as used in the non-IDL renders)

Attachments

• CandleV202FS+4Morphs.pp2.txt
    393.6 KB · Views: 315
  • CandleV202FS+4Morphs.lt2.txt
    19.2 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:

3dcheapskate

Engaged
I've made a slight change to bagginsbill's matmatic script (in order to get it to compile in matmatic) and generated an MT5. Both the script and MT5 are in the attached zip - no folder structure, just two files. Apply the MT5 to the flame of the candle in the CandleV202FS+4Morphs.pp2 file I uploaded a few posts (and years) back on this Hivewire thread.

Here's a link to the corresponding post on the Renderosity thread for more info

Attachments

• BB matmatic candle flame.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 179

3dcheapskate

Engaged
Adding the point light from the CandleV202FS+4Morphs.lt2 file I uploaded a few posts (and years) back on this Hivewire thread.

Superfly:
Superfly+Pointlight.jpg

Firefly:
FireflyWithPointLight.jpg

Remember that the candle material is simply Poser 9 Milkman Andy which is probably why it looks good in Firefly but not in Superfly.

The flame looks good in both - not surprising, thanks bagginsbill.

I'm probably going to have to start using Superfly

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Question about your new script you released, the easy pose one (FreazyPose), will this work in Poser 11 and 12 or just 11?

3dcheapskate

Engaged
Question about your new script you released, the easy pose one (FreazyPose), will this work in Poser 11 and 12 or just 11?
It's exactly the same script as I uploaded to ShareCG four years ago. I still don't have Poser 12 so I've no idea whether or not it'll work.

But the script's only 345 lines long, at least 10% of that being comment lines and probably another 10% being poser.DialogSimple.MessageBox() and poser.DialogSimple.YesNo() stuff (I love dialogue boxes! "Are you sure?", "Are you sure you're sure?", "Are you really sure you're sure?"). If the script doesn't work as-is in Poser 12 then any Pythonista worth his/her/its salt should be able to bash the script a bit and get it to work.

P.S. You asked the same thing two years ago on ShareCG - I think from my reply, similar to the above, that that was shortly before Poser 12 came out.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
When using Firefly, I "shell" the flame mesh inward slightly, and make that closely-fitted inner mesh a separate "emitter" prop. The flame prop is set to *not* cast shadows; the emitter prop is set to *not* cast shadows and to *not* be visible in camera. Crank the ambient of the emitter high (200?); it will cast light, while the visible flame has a believable modest ambient value.

It's all easier in Superfly; this is a Superfly render test of a table candle, metals, glass, and liquids.
have a seat have a sip - glass+metal test 1.jpg

The candle wax is volumetric and is translucent with scatter.

This in preparation for re-doing another old scene; I'm re-doing a dozen or so old scenes in 4K (3840x2160 pixel) resolution.

3dcheapskate

Engaged
Off-topic: Just testing something

# EOL = CR-LF
# comment 1
# comment 2
# comment 3
# comment 4
# comment 5

# EOL = CR
# comment 1
# comment 2
# comment 3
# comment 4
# comment 5

# EOL = LF
# comment 1
# comment 2
# comment 3
# comment 4
# comment 5

3dcheapskate

Engaged
Off-topic: testing again

Typing text into edit box, line terminated by pressing the Enter key
More text, line terminated by pressing Shift-Enter
More text

3dcheapskate

Engaged
When using Firefly, I "shell" the flame mesh inward slightly, and make that closely-fitted inner mesh a separate "emitter" prop. The flame prop is set to *not* cast shadows; the emitter prop is set to *not* cast shadows and to *not* be visible in camera. Crank the ambient of the emitter high (200?); it will cast light, while the visible flame has a believable modest ambient value.

That sounds vaguely familiar - I think I've tried something similar before in Poser, although I may be thinking of background domes in DAZ Studio ? If it was Poser then I must have gone for a different approach, or possibly more likely got bored and forgot all about it !

Shadows ! That's one thing I overlooked in my mesh, and explains an oddity I've been getting in some tests - of course, the flame mesh being part of the candle, it's casting a shadow.

Cranking ambient up high for light-casting, but having a normal ambient value for rendering the light caster itself also rings a bell. However, I think I used a two render approach, combining them in GIMP.

It's all easier in Superfly; this is a Superfly render test of a table candle, metals, glass, and liquids.
View attachment 74064

The candle wax is volumetric and is translucent with scatter.

This in preparation for re-doing another old scene; I'm re-doing a dozen or so old scenes in 4K (3840x2160 pixel) resolution.
That looks nice - except that I don't see the actual candle flame ! :)

seachnasaigh

Energetic
OK, I made a new candle model... Firefly IDL:
small candle - Firefly IDL.jpg

No point light used, just the mesh lighting for the flame. Firefly IDL is splotchy; I would use a point light scaled to fit the flame for a single candle, but for a model with lots of lights (Christmas tree, for example), this Firefly IDL emitter method is a good option.