• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Png files soooo big, why.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Why are png files so big?
I'd like to do my MR sets with png but each one is over 25mb.
With jpg they are more reasonable in size.

And what is best progressive or baseline when saving the files out?

No compression on png files, so they always look crisp and clear, and BEE YOU TEA FULL colors. OK? Hard for apps and the internet to handle you surely know. Poser always wants to save renders as .png Snooty ole' poser. But for product promos .jpg is a good compromise. Not sure about the saving of files in photoshop though. Probably an explanation in the manual.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
not sure on the size except to say that I "think" PNG has lossless compression and JPEG is lossy (so it takes information out of the file to make it smaller).

Saving as Progressive is only for web viewing, its so it loads a super low res image and progressively gets better until it is a clear image (back when we all had dial up so that there was something, not just a blank spot while the page loaded).

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
No compression on png files, so they always look crisp and clear, and BEE YOU TEA FULL colors. OK? Hard for apps and the internet to handle you surely know. Poser always wants to save renders as .png Snooty ole' poser. But for product promos .jpg is a good compromise. Not sure about the saving of files in photoshop though. Probably an explanation in the manual.
I don't do "promos", per se, but have done Artistic Renders, and before obtaining PoserPro 11 and playing in SuperFly, I always render and save to PNG in Poser (and do so in DS when I use it), because I always want an Alpha channel for transparency so I can add a background in post work. You can't do that when rendering and saving to JPG. Of course, I always Save for Web in JPG format for the final image.

PNG images are truly crisper and cleaner because they don't "lose" any colors, but I don't see why it can't be used when saving out of Poser. I never use what I save from Poser or DS as the final image I'm going to use.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
You can save either png or jpeg from Poser iirc...just need to change it when exporting the image.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think FL was wanting to save for MRs not just a render. If she wants to keep details from multiple saving then png or tif is the was to go. Everytime you save a jpg you loose details

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I always save my Poser files as png so I can have the transparent background.
That is also how I save in DS unless doing just a render for fun.

But for my MR the just on map was 26 mb and over.
With 5 coat colors and matching mft sets as well as 2 bump maps and trans maps, that would be wayyyyy to big for the server to accept.

Which is why I wondered how to make them smaller without reducing the 4000x4000 to less.
Doing them as outlined on the page I posted the link for, they still look great but down to 4.mb or a little more.

I know everyone would rather have png than jpg in the mr, psd is out of the question.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
If you use Irfanview you can re-save the PNG's at 6 compression and they aren't as heavy.

ScreenHunter_16 Feb. 04 18.25.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You can save either png or jpeg from Poser iirc...just need to change it when exporting the image.
Correct, and if I'm rendering a full scene, as I did with the artistic render I did for Seliah's Nataani, yes I saved it out as a JPG. Now that I'm trying more with SuperFly using Bagginsbill's EnvSphere, or Snarly's EZDome, I'll have to save those out as JPGs too, because there's a background so no transparency available.

If you use Irfanview you can re-save the PNG's at 6 compression and they aren't as heavy.
Oh, I totally forgot about Irfanview. I used to use it years ago when I would open an old set that had RAR files for thumbnails, so I could replace them with the (then newer) PNG format.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I know everyone would rather have png than jpg in the mr, psd is out of the question.
jpg in MR is blasphemy :yeahthat: Most textures is blurry enough :( but seriously, you don't need to pack all the textures in one zip, and I don't know here but DAZ has enough products in 250Mb-1Gb range.

@Miss B anything not 32-bit (i.e. EXR) makes me unhappy.:) (And it was one of 4 or 5 main reasons why I prefer Poser. One less now since I discovered Canvases.)

Hornet3d

Wise
With my photgraphic hat on I would always tell photographers new to digital photography to keep your photos in a non compressed format be it .png or .tiff. (although .png is probably more useful if you are playing with layer while doing any work on the image. Compressing to .jpg is always the last stage as otherwise you lose information each time you save with .jpg something that appears to be a trap that many budding photographers fall into.

With all my photographs and renders I keep two versions, a layered format for Paint Shop Pro as I use that and a .jpg format, I store the layered version in a masters folder and the .jpg in a shared folder. I always render at a size suitable for either A3 or A4 printing but as a .jpg this is far to large for adding to an online gallery or forum so I tend to load the master and then re-save as a .jpg with a compression to suit the requirements of the particular forumor site. Luckily PSP has a wizard option when saving in .jpg so that I can adjust the compression level to meet my requirements. I guess Photoshop has a similar facility but I can't say as I have never used it.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Photoshop has a "Save for web" option.
It lets you see three previews so you can choose the compression you need.

I have all my mr files in png format and just the textures are 25mb or so unzipped.
Since it is a freebie I may just put it on my own website and provide a download link.
I don't think sharecg allows files that big.

If I can manage time to do it I may even create a freebie web page on my site that allows promo images.
But I only work in html, php is like an unknown language to me...lol.

English Bob

Adventurous
Whatever method you use to set the compression level of your PNGs, bear in mind that since the compression is lossless, you won't lose any quality even if you use the highest level (= smallest file size). The downside will be that the highest compression will take a little longer to save and load, but it shouldn't be too bas even so.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I had saved some out with interlace enabled and don't know why it was on but the files were over 25 mb, with it off they are 10 mb and no loss of quality.
Should I try for smaller or jut leave them at 10 mb and let the user compress as they wish?