• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Particle Shop

Hornet3d

Wise
ParticalShop is by Corel and is a plug in for, Corel Painter, Photoshop and PaintShop Pro. I fell across it when they had a sale on PaintShop Pro X9 and got this at a good price. It has a number of brush packs that can be added to it but the starter pack gives you some idea of what it can do. I have purchased quite a few packs such as Spaced out and Fantasy as they seem blend well with my render interests. The hair and fabric brushes look as though they could give some flowing dress effects and add some interest to the standard hair.

It is going to take me a while to integrate this with Poser before I can generate a render that will allow me to use theses brushes and it will also take me a while to use them, particularly as a lot are pressure sensitive so I have to try and use a table again. Thing is I am no artist and I am sure other will be able to use the potential to a fuller extent and I for one can't wait to see what is produced.

If you do buy the plug in don't but the brushes straight off as I managed to get a good price on the new packs from inside the plug in, much cheaper than the sale price on the site.

Hornet3d

Wise
I am not sure what the rules are for linking here but if you search for ParticalShop and then pick the Corel link all the info is there. Site has this list -

HOST APPLICATIONS

Adobe Photoshop CS5, CS6, or CC
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® CS5, CS6, or CC
Adobe Photoshop Elements 13
CorelDRAW® X7
Corel® PHOTO-PAINT™ X7
Corel® PaintShop® Pro X7+

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
It sounds quite a bit like PD artist and Howler. That use particle brushes too in similar effects love the plant brushes these programs offer and you can generate backgrounds in minutes! It also has a 3D render option that allows for mountains and canyons without all the hassle in Vue and much much shorter render times. Though geared more I think for the Anime style backgrounds.

I'm a heavy PS user so will have to check out ParticalShop. I like your SiFi effects!!!

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm a PS user as well, but never upgraded past CS2, so that leaves me out.

Hornet3d

Wise
It sounds quite a bit like PD artist and Howler. That use particle brushes too in similar effects love the plant brushes these programs offer and you can generate backgrounds in minutes! It also has a 3D render option that allows for mountains and canyons without all the hassle in Vue and much much shorter render times. Though geared more I think for the Anime style backgrounds.

I'm a heavy PS user so will have to check out ParticalShop. I like your SiFi effects!!!

It does look similar but looking at the video you posted I think ParticleShop would be a cut down version as far as the options are concerned. For my render all I did was open the render in PSP and then duplicated the layer, the same with the blue background. You have the option of saving just the brushstrokes or blending them with the source. As I was working with duplicate layers I blended them. It really is a test bed for me just to see what the brushes do, I have about three different backgrounds so far and then I want to start just saving the brushstrokes for the foreground and build them up layer by layer.

After this render I want to try one with the a flowing dynmic dress as I think it is going to be easy to add some long flowing trains and do the same with the hair.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have to agree with Hornet3d, Howler does tons of things, while Particle Shop is just a collection of brushes. I have used these in my Superhero promos, and that's all they are - just brushes for particle effects. I have been willing to buy PD Howler, but it's still rather expensive.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the links Hornet...I hadn't really looked at Painter before. It looks really powerful. As I don't like the subscription model I've been stuck with CS3 for a while but I'm looking at getting Painter especially as it's on special at the moment but I'm going to play with the demo for a while first.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I was an exclusive PaintShop Pro user for years. I started with version 6, and upgraded as far as version 9, because starting with version 10, it seemed like it was more for photo correction, and I already had an early version of Photoshop for that. On my last laptop, I downloaded and used Gimp, but wasn't that thrilled with it as an all inclusive piece of software. It was good for some things, but didn't work the same as PSP or Photoshop with others.

PSP 7 is still my favorite of all the versions I've used, and I still have it installed on this laptop for quick screenshots and the like, as it loads so much quicker than PS. Since getting into PS with version 5.5 and then 7, I took a class that showed me how to do a lot more with it, and now that I have CS2 on this laptop, I pretty much use it a lot more than PSP, especially for final render composition and the like.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
It does look similar but looking at the video you posted I think ParticleShop would be a cut down version as far as the options are concerned. For my render all I did was open the render in PSP and then duplicated the layer, the same with the blue background. You have the option of saving just the brushstrokes or blending them with the source. As I was working with duplicate layers I blended them. It really is a test bed for me just to see what the brushes do, I have about three different backgrounds so far and then I want to start just saving the brushstrokes for the foreground and build them up layer by layer.

After this render I want to try one with the a flowing dynmic dress as I think it is going to be easy to add some long flowing trains and do the same with the hair.
I look forward to seeing what you will post!! =)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I used to use PSP9 and then when I was at Uni I did an elective on PS and invested in a student version. Since then I've normally used PS and don't even have PSP installed but I've installed the demo for painter and watched a few tutorials and I'm quite impressed with what I'm seeing.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
You don't need PaintShop if you have Photoshop. BTW, Corel Painter has some of the most realistic media brushes I know of. If I were a painter, I would try it out. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Oh yeah!! Definite win...I'm looking at what it can do still. Managed to get some of abr brushes into it but one didn't work. Still not sure why. I'm thinking I might finally be able to do the face paint for Diva though. I just need to work out the best process.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Sweet!! Yeah, I'm looking forward to the face paint idea!

Might be that the .abr is a lower version?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That was my thought but unfortunately I only have cs 3 so it will take longer to convert them.

Hornet3d

Wise
I was an exclusive PaintShop Pro user for years. I started with version 6, and upgraded as far as version 9, because starting with version 10, it seemed like it was more for photo correction, and I already had an early version of Photoshop for that. On my last laptop, I downloaded and used Gimp, but wasn't that thrilled with it as an all inclusive piece of software. It was good for some things, but didn't work the same as PSP or Photoshop with others.

PSP 7 is still my favorite of all the versions I've used, and I still have it installed on this laptop for quick screenshots and the like, as it loads so much quicker than PS. Since getting into PS with version 5.5 and then 7, I took a class that showed me how to do a lot more with it, and now that I have CS2 on this laptop, I pretty much use it a lot more than PSP, especially for final render composition and the like.

Like you I have been using PSP for years I know I used version 6 and maybe some earlier versions. PSP I still have the version 7 (I think it was an anniversary edition). I used it for many years but then upgraded I can't remember what I upgraded to but I have only had 3 of the X versions I think. I know I went from x3 to x7 then skipped x8 and now using x9. Even then I did not take advantage of the pre-launch sale and only upgraded recently when they seem to have a big sale. In the end I finished up with the X9 upgrade, Particle Shop (along with the few brush packs) and Corel Painter Essentials 5 all for almost the same price as the full cost of the x9 upgrade.

If you use a batch of programs, as I think most computer artists do, you have to stick somewhere. Poser was the only one I regularly used to upgrade as soon as a new version was available but I so far I have stopped at Pro 2014/Game Dev.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Painter has always been the gold standard for analog media simulation. (I am SO glad it didn't disappear like a lot of Metacreations's other programs. Or go through a wilderness of searching for a new home like others.)

Photoshop has made considerable inroads. Particularly via some of the analog media plugins like Topaz Labs and Alien Skin's stuff. But Painter has more focus on a narrower spectrum of needs than Photoshop -- which covers a multitude of bases.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Painter has always been the gold standard for analog media simulation. (I am SO glad it didn't disappear like a lot of Metacreations's other programs. Or go through a wilderness of searching for a new home like others.)

Photoshop has made considerable inroads. Particularly via some of the analog media plugins like Topaz Labs and Alien Skin's stuff. But Painter has more focus on a narrower spectrum of needs than Photoshop -- which covers a multitude of bases.

Good point. My problem with Photoshop is that is tries to be too many things at once, in detriment of performance. By the time it takes to start, I already finished the job in PaintShop. ;p