• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Parenting props to a posed figure

English Bob

Adventurous
If I want to make a smart prop, the surest way is to move the prop into position against a figure in a zeroed pose, then parent the prop to the desired body part. That always works.

In some situations it's hard or impossible to get the prop into the right position unless the figure is posed, and that's where the problems start. Sometimes it works; well, that's fine, obviously. Sometimes the prop flies off into low Earth orbit, or it may even be geosynchronous, I don't know.

Is there a way to parent a prop to a posed figure which reliably keeps it in position?

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I've found this issue when I don't parent it in the first frame, but do so later on. I haven't tried posing in frame 1 (I usually run into this with dynamics I'm working on) and parenting there. That might work.

If it doesn't, you might be able to use the Grouping tool to 'save' it in the right position, and push it back in the unposed frame. You just have to watch with groups to make sure Poser hasn't decided to do some 'helpful' animation curves for you.

Which actually makes me think, have you check the graph to make sure it's using the same X, Y, and Z translation in the unposed frame? Again Poser is sometime to0 helpful with animation curves.

English Bob

Adventurous
I've found this issue when I don't parent it in the first frame, but do so later on.

There's that aha! moment you mentioned elsewhere. :) I use the animation timeline in most of my scenes, although they aren't animations, so that I can render several images and choose the best; like a conventional photoshoot, in a way. This means the actual posing (and parenting) takes place on later frames, and frame 1 is a t-pose. I set my interpolation to linear for everything to avoid those splines getting up to any mischief.

If I shift my reference pose to frame 1 temporarily it might work better. Off to do other things now, I'll report later.

English Bob

Adventurous
I've been aware of that wonderful utility for some time, but sorry to say I haven't tried it yet. The need for it always seems to crop up when I'm in the middle of a workflow, and don't have time to explore new things. :(

I also notice that I meant to title this thread 'Parenting props to a posed figure' which would have been more helpful. Hey hey.

English Bob

Adventurous
Would you do that please, Lorraine? It may be more useful if anyone searches the forum in the future. Also, it offends my sense of order. :)