• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Parent to camera?

So you'd move a camera, and the figure or prop would also move along with it? Or visa-versa?

I found this on the Renderosity forums from 2016, which may help.

EboMarconi: "I see that with the Hierarchy Editor it's possible to drag a dolly camera onto a prop or character's head and that works just fine". Also "I made a Shoulder Cam that has a Dolly Cam already built in and parented to it. And a pose for M4. Makes shooting in a scene from a character easy. I uploaded it to my Free Stuff."

His freebie is at "Shoulder Cam by EboMarconi", a 1980s outdoor broadcast camera prop that is a Poser camera.

There are also several other ways to do it in Poser, which the later posts in the "Is it possible to parent a camera to a figure?" thread describe. At the bottom of the thread, someone suggests it can also be done in DAZ (but does not say how).

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
Is it possible in Poser and Daz Studio?
In Daz Studio it is easy , in the scene click right on the camera and parent it to a figure or figure parts like head , the camera will follow just the head movement in the scene .
The best to create a new camera for that purpose, perspective camera will not works . After that change the camera you are using in the viewport . By default it uses the perspective camera .

Or create a new camera and click on the prop and percent the camera to it , so you have 2 options , parent the camera to objects , or objects to camera .

I often parenting the camera to the head , so when you do animation , it follows the figure .

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
In Daz Studio it is easy , in the scene click right on the camera and parent it to a figure or figure parts like head , the camera will follow just the head movement in the scene .
The best to create a new camera for that purpose, perspective camera will not works . After that change the camera you are using in the viewport . By default it uses the perspective camera .

Or create a new camera and click on the prop and percent the camera to it , so you have 2 options , parent the camera to objects , or objects to camera .

I often parenting the camera to the head , so when you do animation , it follows the figure .
Thank you Kath.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I do this in DAZ studio long time ago, parenting camera to head , all camera movements was automatic following the head in the scene , saving lots of time .

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I do this in DAZ studio long time ago, parenting camera to head , all camera movements was automatic following the head in the scene , saving lots of time .

Very very cool!

I will message you why I was asking. Don't want to put it out here.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I know it used to be possible to parent things to the Camera in Poser up through Poser 2014. I had a number of "Effects" that I parented to the camera, and there was a prop/image set from Mortem Vetus back in the days of RDNA that did likewise. I used it as a way of in-render overlay textures and such... (vignettes, clouds, Letterboxing, Flames, HUD visuals) I had planned to create some special animated effects to to build in to renders some VFX like Screen Static and old film, but SM kept monkeying with the video decoders Poser used so I gave up.