• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

OT-Wolfie...

eclark1894

Visionary
I didn't know where to ask this question so I hope you and Alisa don't mind if I ask it here. I assume you've seen Star Trek the Original series. If you remember Capt. Kirk had a female yeoman, Janice Rand. They were trying to make some futuristic hairstyles for her and had her look like this:
1616008340870.png

I know you're a hair dresser, and I wanted to ask about this particular hair style. Did they place a circular box on her head, and wrap the hair around the box to get this hair style? If not, do you know how they did it?

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My mom used to have this plastic net dome that she would use to get up lifted hairdos with. They probably used something similar, and that's just from remembering my mom had it, I thought it was meant to go over a bun, but it wasn't. Though I'm no hairdresser or expert.

eclark1894

Visionary
Thanks, Sunfire. I remember seeing this when I was a kid, and I thought maybe she had really long hair. Of course I know two things now that I didn't back then. Apparently, her hair wasn't that long, and also apparently, you can buy hair to add on. Did they have fake hair back in the sixties?

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Not a M*A*S*H fan I take it. Two part episode involving a USO group, and a gal with a bad appendix. One of the performers a one time stripper named Brandy Doyle. When Margaret compliments her hair and asks how she keeps it so lovely, she replies "I give it the night off." and removes a hair piece.

Wigs and hair pieces have been around for some time, and made from real hair back then, likely where the idea for extensions came from.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Wigs and hair pieces have been around for some time, and made from real hair back then, likely where the idea for extensions came from.
Yup, I had a couple of wigs, and a "fall" (I think that's what it was called), that I was able to attach to the top of my hair with combs that were attached to it to make it look as if I had shoulder length hair when I didn't.

eclark1894

Visionary
Not a M*A*S*H fan I take it. Two part episode involving a USO group, and a gal with a bad appendix. One of the performers a one time stripper named Brandy Doyle. When Margaret compliments her hair and asks how she keeps it so lovely, she replies "I give it the night off." and removes a hair piece.

Not a girl.;)

eclark1894

Visionary
Yeah, but if you were a fan, then you'd have the answer to your question about fake hair. ;)
In the 1960s, I was under 10 years old. And no internet. Didn't start using the library until I was about 10 or 12. And not sure they would have had that information or I would know who to ask. The most I knew about hair was that I had to get a hair cut about every two or three weeks.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
M*A*S*H was the 70's, about the Korean war, and it was on the TV. :) But I'm not talking about then, was talking about your question here, now. That the show could have answered the question about having fake hair in the 60's.

eclark1894

Visionary
M*A*S*H was the 70's, about the Korean war, and it was on the TV. :) But I'm not talking about then, was talking about your question here, now. That the show could have answered the question about having fake hair in the 60's.
Oh yeah, I remember Mash. I liked the show but not enough to remember the plots in all of them.:) I thought you were referring to Star Trek.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
So sorry, just saw this. Back in the day and in current styles wigs and wiglets were used. For her style, it was either a wig or there is a secured foam piece (bobby pinned to her own hair for stability) and then the hair is wrapped around it and usually a French twist is done in the back to finish it nicely! Not only am I a hairdresser but I've delved quite extensively into the world of Drag! So I know a bit about this stuff but not everything. I'm only guessing about the actress above and what the costume and hair dept. did to give her that look!

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh yeah, I remember Mash. I liked the show but not enough to remember the plots in all of them.:) I thought you were referring to Star Trek.

Oh no. :) I don't remember all the plots, just a few and more like bits and pieces here and there. That stick for one reason or another.