• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

OT scam scare

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
I was browsing the web on firefox. and got a page with a pop up saying that my computer is infected and to call some eight hundred number right away to fix the issue. Do not turn off the computer or restart. Also a bunch of stuff is being at risk.
I use the built in antivirus that Windows 10 comes with. What is a good security suite that is free for Windows 10 pro? I do not mind spending money on it if I had some, but I do not really have the funds at the moment.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Sounds like it could have been a scam page. Just do a total restart on the computer. I get those when clicking on side ads on Facebook sometimes.

McGyver

Energetic
Every now and then with my old Mac, I used to get one of those...
Usually on small store websites or news sites.
I'd usually turn off my modem and shut down the computer.
That was easy with a Mac because there is an emergency shut down trick you can use if the pop-up won't let you leave the screen without clicking "okay".
I think it only ever happened once that I needed to do the emergency shut down though, mostly I'd just shut off the modem, shut down the browser and restart.
Never click on anything relating to the pop up... There are some that even try and pretend they are a windows dialogue box... (Funny as hell on a Mac).

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
We get actual phone calls from real people about that at home regularly, maybe a couple of times a month. My Mam is clueless about computers and that scam stuff and she frustrates the scammers good so they hang up after a couple of minutes. My older brother is well clued-up and if he answers the phone to a scammer he plays them along for as long as he can while my younger brother and I giggle in the background. If my younger brother or I answer the phone to a scammer, we pass it onto our older brother and we get a good laugh out of the way he handles it.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Most of those types of pop-ups are just trying to get you to click on something or phone a number, and are using scare tactics to make that attempt.

To stay safe(r):
Never click on something that says 'click here to view this web page correctly'. If you need Flash or whatever, go directly to the software manufacturer's website and download from there.
Never click on anything that says 'Your computer has been infected with malware/viruses/etc.' even if it seems to be a message box from protection software you installed yourself. Open your software directly and check from there.
Never click on anything that says 'Your driver is out of date, update it here'. Update your drivers through your OS's update facility or directly from the manufacturer's website for your hardware.
Be very careful where you download from, especially for free.
Never download something for free if it's something you'd normally have to pay for, unless it's being offered by the individual or company who own the rights to it (as a special/free trial/etc.)- regardless of the legality and morality, there's also a good chance of picking up an infection with it.
Have antivirus and antimalware software, keep them up to date, and run regular scans. One program that does both jobs, or two that do one each. Not more than one for each job, it's common for them to start fighting each other. If you're otherwise being sensible then Windows' own software should be fine, but if you want an alternative then Avast and AVG are generally good- just check if they play well with any computer games you might want to indulge in.

Don't use Windows? Not an option for many, but the spyware/virus/malware writers follow the crowds. The less common your OS, the less chance you'll have of picking up a nasty. Novell Netware was a good one to confuse scammers with (as was "Good morning, computer technical support department, can I help you?").

My older brother is well clued-up and if he answers the phone to a scammer he plays them along for as long as he can
I think it's common entertainment among tech support folks to string along the scammers and waste their phonebill. A friend claims to have kept them on the line for 35 minutes before the scammer got annoyed and rang off. Extra marks if you manage to wind them up enough to swear at you, or if you manage to get their log-in details off them. To get rid of them more quickly try "One moment please, I'm just tracking your IP and MAC addresses, please stay on the line." Or just pretend to never have heard of computers and assume all mentions of windows refer to those things with glass in that let you look through walls (little old lady voice helps to add authenticity to that one).

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I like Malware Bytes as a virus program but hd tol et it go for now and depend on windows defender.
After having a virus attack and eat Mcafee and then later one ate Norton, so I tried Malware Bytes and found the guilty critter.
With scams I am very leery and never click links.bout three times this week
I received about three popups this week with the message that my computer was infected a virus , I just closed my browser and re-opend it.
My brother got tired of scammers and telemarketers and found a way to get even, he kept them on the phone, letting them give the big sales pitch and when they asked for his credit card number told the he was sorry but his credit was so bad he could not get a credit card.
He said they'd get mad and ask why he waited t tell them, he said " you never asked till now".