• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Opacity in Superfly?

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've run into something odd. It probably isn't "odd," I suppose, but it's odd to me.

Superfly - opacity. Is there a way to get it to respect opacity values?

upload_2016-4-25_6-7-12.png

The spot render was done via Superfly. I had the lenses of these eyeglasses set to be very, VERY transparent. But this is how they rendered. In any other render engine I've ever worked with (bear in mind that I have NEVER worked with PBR before) , all I would have to do is set the opacity of the lens down to like 2% (or up to 98% in Poser), and then set up a reflection on the surface if I wanted them to function like proper eyeglass lenses.

So... this clearly does not work in Superfly. What am I missing? How do I do this in Superfly? Do I need to have a full-on transparency map connected to the material zone for just that one render engine to work properly? Or is there something else I'm missing?

upload_2016-4-25_6-14-55.png

This is how I've always handled eyeglass lenses in the past. At this point, I would normally set up reflection on the lenses, but with these values, the lenses should be almost totally transparent even in preview mode, and they're not? They do render properly in Firefly, but Superfly still has them more opaque than anything else.

Soooo.... what am I doing wrong? :D

Thanks.!

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I don't know proper way to set it up with PoserSurface root.
May be (not shure) it's something with edge/fallof.
With Cycles root:
lenses.jpg

IOR=1.05 on Refraction on purpose - lenses doesn't have thickness, so if IOR was correct, we will have glassball effect on face as surface would be interpretated as border of volume.

And - glass need lights or objects to reflect!
It is possible to add reflection map, but in some more nodes.

Last edited:

seachnasaigh

Energetic

I suspect that 1.0 is high for the specular (and you probably don't need 1 for the diffuse).

First, try lowering the specular value.

Transparency values higher than 1 are permissible in Superfly; experiment with lower specular value and transparency of 3 with transparency edge of 1, for example.
If it works, you're done. If not, then try the physical surface or Cycles surface root node.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Sorry for just getting back to this now. Somehow, I didn't get the notification that there had been responses posted.

I don't know proper way to set it up with PoserSurface root.
May be (not shure) it's something with edge/fallof.
With Cycles root:

Thank you for the visual - that is what helps me the most with things. Much appreciated!

IOR=1.05 on Refraction on purpose - lenses doesn't have thickness, so if IOR was correct, we will have glassball effect on face as surface would be interpretated as border of volume.

Hmm. I'll bear that in mind... I need to look up what IOR is, as I honestly don't have any clue what it means, or what it does. Thanks.

And - glass need lights or objects to reflect!
It is possible to add reflection map, but in some more nodes.

Yes, I know that reflective surfaces require something to reflect. :)

I'm not looking to add a reflection map if I can help it - I prefer true reflections in renders as much as is possible, unless it's on small bits like cabinet door handles, or furniture wheels (such as the casters on an office chair).

Superfly trans maps are reversed from Firefly. Here's a great tutorial (fast) on how to do it using the same trans map

Adding transparency maps to the PBR root node – PoserLounge

Ooh. I did NOT know that. That is good information, thank you!

I suspect that 1.0 is high for the specular (and you probably don't need 1 for the diffuse).

First, try lowering the specular value.

You might be right - I will definitely give it a try. I usually do end up reducing the specular down to about 0.200 or somewhere down there with eyeglasses. Or at least, that's about where I drop it to when doing this task inside of Studio.

Transparency values higher than 1 are permissible in Superfly; experiment with lower specular value and transparency of 3 with transparency edge of 1, for example.

Again - thank you - I did NOT know Superfly would take values more than 1.0 on transparency. Thanks!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
IOR, in optics, the "index of refraction" of refractive index. The refractive index determines how much light is bent, or refracted, when entering a material. eg: glass in the real world is 1.5 to 1.7 (depending on the type of glass), diamond at the higher end at 2.417 (1 being a vacuum).
There are lists online with the refraction numbers of different materials. If Superfly is like Iray (real world lighting) using these numbers would give the most realistic render.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thank you, Rae! I've been trying to figure this out, and with all of the reading I've done on it, that was the most concise and clearly communicated explanation I have come across yet. And the FIRST one that actually made sense.

:thankyou:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Not a problem Rae, as this is the type of issue that affects all render engines, no matter the software you're using. At least now Seliah has something to think about and test out. ;)