• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

.obj unmovable after import

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I ran a cloth simulation on a shirt I'm creating (not yet rigged, just a prop at the moment) to get the drapes right. Choose the frame I liked, exported the prop as an obj. Then I reimported it, to get that version of the geometry. The problem is I can no longer translate or manipulate it. It won't scale, or move. Anyone know why?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
As far as I can tell an OBJ is a static object. It's the simming in the Cloth Room, or the rigging in the Setup Room that make it movable.

If I'm not mistaken, what you want is to save the draping as a morph of the original OBJ. I'm not experienced enough with that sort of thing, so hopefully someone else will drop in and give you some more information to help you accomplish what you want.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Is it a conformed item? And is it fitted to a character?

I'm assuming you exported your draped object and have now reimported it? You mentioned in another thread playing with the weightmapping? So I'm assuming it might be fitted to the character and often when that's the case you can't use the translate sliders, but I would have thought scaling should still work.

@Miss B, objects are static in that they have no bones but they should still be able to be moved on the different 3D axis. Think about a chair object that you have imported into a program...you would want to be able to move it around and position it.

Edited to add the morph sounds like a good idea...I've seen something on that recently just don't remember where.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Is it a conformed item? And is it fitted to a character?

I'm assuming you exported your draped object and have now reimported it? You mentioned in another thread playing with the weightmapping? So I'm assuming it might be fitted to the character and often when that's the case you can't use the translate sliders, but I would have thought scaling should still work.

@Miss B, objects are static in that they have no bones but they should still be able to be moved on the different 3D axis. Think about a chair object that you have imported into a program...you would want to be able to move it around and position it.

Edited to add the morph sounds like a good idea...I've seen something on that recently just don't remember where.

At this point it is still just a prop, no bones or anything. I thought maybe something had gone wrong with the scene I was working in, so I created a new scene with nothing in it but the shirt prop. Still wouldn't translate.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
That's odd...your original prop that you draped, is that able to be translated?

Yeah, that one moves just fine. It seems to be something odd in PP11. I was having issues with the activation on my version of 2014. Just got that working again, and funny thing, the prop behaves normally in 2014 but not in 11 where it was made.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Well there you go then...I am having trouble with things weight mapped in p11p...when they get into lower version...what I have done doesn't work...Yours is a similar problem...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yeah, that one moves just fine. It seems to be something odd in PP11. I was having issues with the activation on my version of 2014. Just got that working again, and funny thing, the prop behaves normally in 2014 but not in 11 where it was made.
Okay...that's just weird. What sort of settings did you use when exporting and importing into PP11? Unless it's a bug it would have to be a setting...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK, I guess I wasn't clear enough, but that's exactly what I mean, that there's no bones or simmed in the Cloth Room.

That said, I remember saving a pose after simming a dynamic piece of clothing which of course, won't do anything in and of itself unless you sim it. Just putting the character wearing it into a pose, won't pose the clothing unless it's been rigged or simmed.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my original post, as I wasn't thinking of a prop like a chair, which can be moved with the Translate dials.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
No problem...I've done that myself many times. I do remember someone...think it may have been Ken who mention saving as a morph recently...it may have been in a private conversation though so I'll check and see if I can find it.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So if anyone was curious, the obj file magically fixed itself even in PP11. Actually I've noticed that after working for a while in Poser, at least when I'm trying to work on figures and weight map type of things, it get's stuck. I've run into few cases where I can no longer weight map. Luckily if I save, quite poser and reopen it works fine again. Some sort of memory leak I'm guessing.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Interesting...I would think it is a memory leak. Poser 2014Pro is really slow on my machine. It drives me nuts...I have 16gb of RAM most things shouldn't be an issue.

English Bob

Adventurous
If you're on Windows Vista or later, you may find it informative to run Resource Monitor in the background. It's associated with Task Manager, but there's no need to CTRL-ALT-DEL; just click on Start and type Resource which should find it. It will show you CPU, memory, disk and network usage, initially for everything that's running. If you put a check in the box next to the Poser executable in the CPU window it will only show you stuff in the other windows that's associated with Poser. Then you'll soon see if it's hammering the disk or using up all your memory.

Macs have an equivalent called Activity Monitor, but I know nothing about that.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
If you're on Windows Vista or later, you may find it informative to run Resource Monitor in the background. It's associated with Task Manager, but there's no need to CTRL-ALT-DEL; just click on Start and type Resource which should find it. It will show you CPU, memory, disk and network usage, initially for everything that's running. If you put a check in the box next to the Poser executable in the CPU window it will only show you stuff in the other windows that's associated with Poser. Then you'll soon see if it's hammering the disk or using up all your memory.

Macs have an equivalent called Activity Monitor, but I know nothing about that.

I'm on a mac, and I do often use Activity Monitor, although funny enough, I mostly use it to see if I can get Poser to use all my computer's resources.:devil" Sadly Poser won't fully use the graphics card on a Mac the way it can on a PC, at least in pp11.

I used to do mac tech support, and they change how memory is handled a few operating system's ago. Activity monitor now uses a metric called memory pressure, because the system is usually pretty smart about how it handles RAM, and it can be a good gauge if more ram would help you or not.

I managed to do a massive render to prove to my coworkers that memory pressure was a real thing. I intentionally pumped up all the settings and created a render that took a few hours and even my 16gm went into the red.

English Bob

Adventurous
I haven't managed to get above about 6GB so far. I suspect that may change as I take advantage of my new monster machine (32GB, eight cores). Nature abhors unused RAM, or something. Resource Monitor told me that Poser 7 often forgot how many CPU cores it had, and left some of them idle. Poser 11 has no such problem, and even the non-pro version includes a 64 bit renderer, so my scenes are inevitably going to get more demanding now. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Wow! I have machine envy as I would really like to up the RAM to 32GB. I also would love to have a titan black video card but dreams are free thank goodness!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Not boastful at all...I'm just envious. That's my issue not yours...so no need to apologise. I envy anyone who has more than 16gb ram. The number of times I've crashed Zbrush because the polys got to high...drives me crazy sometimes.