• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Not trying to cause trouble but ......

Satira, while slavery was an obvious thing to want to keep, I honestly believe it went deeper than just that. I believe that the Confederacy was a response to what the southern States viewed as Federal interference in State and Individual rights under the Tenth Amendment to the US Constitution.

D

Deleted member 325

To paraphrase someone far more brilliant than I:
I never understood the concept of racism. I think it's idiotic to hate someone based solely on the color of their skin when if you merely take the five or ten minutes needed to get to know them you can likely find so many more legitimate reasons.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Details of history has a tendency to change over the years too. 50 years ago, things like the founding fathers owning slaves was downplayed. If it was even addressed in history classes.

However, I was wrong about George Washington and his belief that some humans were property. He was raised in that belief, true. He became a slave owner at 11 when his father died. He did purchase additional slaves during his lifetime. In 1790, the capital moved from NYC to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. After six months residing in Pennsylvania, a slave became free. Consequently, he and Martha only allowed their slaves to spend six months at a time in Philadelphia. And yes. His will stipulated that his slaves were to be freed upon the death of his wife. (They were actually freed a year after his death, before Martha's death). He was a hard taskmaster. That's true. He had high expectations both of himself and others. But only a few reports are critical of him ... and those may have been more because of the changes he implemented in running his plantation.

It's also true that he went to a lot of effort to find and return Oney Judge, who was Martha's personal attendant and escaped while they were in Philadelphia.

What I didn't really understand was that during George Washington's lifetime, his belief in slavery changed. The Revolutionary War was a big catalyst in that change. He saw it was possible to run large farms/plantations without slavery. He witnessed black soldiers fighting bravely in the Continental Army. Initially opposed to the enlistment of free black soldiers, he changed his mind seven months after taking over leadership of the army. During the war he was also influenced by the views of Lafayette, who strongly opposed slavery. After the war, abolitionists began approaching Washington, seeking his support. By then, he did support the abolition of slavery.

Although he had stopped buying and selling slaves, he wasn't yet ready to give up his slaves. Part of that was because the slaves he owned and the slaves that came with his wife had intermarried and had children. A bit more than half of their slaves either came with Martha when she married Washington or were born to those slaves. Those slaves belonged to Martha's first husband's estate and had to be returned to that estate and the Curtis heirs on her death. They could not be sold, and they could not be freed. Then too, Martha didn't come to believe as he did that slavery was wrong.

Washington came to regret being a slave owner. He hoped for the abolition of slavery, but also believed it had to be done through legislature.

A complicated man for sure.

“The Only Unavoidable Subject of Regret”
George Washington and Slavery

James R.

Busy Bee
None of us are perfect, not even kings, queens or world leaders. We all make mistakes but their mistakes can sometimes really mess things up for generations and even centuries. Man is flawed in every sense of the word and if anyone thinks that's not true they live in a very narrow bubble! *POP*

'I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.' - Augusten Burroughs

James R.

Busy Bee
I never understood the concept of racism. I think it's idiotic to hate someone based solely on the color of their skin when if you merely take the five or ten minutes needed to get to know them you can likely find so many more legitimate reasons.

Mark Twain?

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The southern states did view abolition of slavery as interference in their state and individual rights. But, they also opposed the northern states right not to support slavery. That seems a wee bit hypocritical to me.

Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia declared it was the opposition to slavery and the failure of northern states to protect the southern state's rights to slavery in their articles of secession. Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, and Virginia were immediately clear on slavery as the cause for seceding in their declarations. You have to go about halfway down South Carolina's before they make clear the reason for seceding was slavery.

The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States
The Reasons for Secession

Satira, while slavery was an obvious thing to want to keep, I honestly believe it went deeper than just that. I believe that the Confederacy was a response to what the southern States viewed as Federal interference in State and Individual rights under the Tenth Amendment to the US Constitution.

D

Deleted member 325

It was a lesser known comedian from the 90's but I can not remember his name. He had 1 special on HBO I saw it in, and it stuck.

James R.

Busy Bee
Thank you, @Satira Capriccio, for your patient and interesting explanation. I appreciate your efforts!

It really is indeed more than just 'the lefties' that want the statues removed, and the reasons are both clear and complex.

James R.

Busy Bee
And as @LisaB suggested earlier, friends....respectfully...can we please try to avoid using broad terms like 'the lefties'?

Apologies if I'm saying what Lisa already said, but terms like that group a wide variety of individuals together, individuals who in reality may not have much in common, and it paints them all with a broad brush as somehow being the same thing.

Use of such terms for people we disagree with dehumanizes them by reducing them to an easily dismissive name. Terms like that make us feel morally superior and allow us to dismiss and ignore people we disagree with.

'Lefties'
'Bible thumpers'
'Libtards'
'Right wingers'

Broad brush generalizations (unless, in the case of 'Right Winger', we're talking about hockey players... ;)).

FWIW: I have left-wing, right-wing, and centrist views. Depends on the subject. But I'd be included with 'the lefties' as mentioned above.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I hate to admit it, but that is so true. Let someone open their mouth and spew their garbage, and I'll hate them quickly.

The county borderline cut through my high school's property, so about 70% of our students were Hispanic or Black, and I think growing up in their presence at such an early age, helped me to form opinions about the people, not the color of their skin. The year I graduated, the girl and boy leaders of the Arista Honor Society were both Black, and the nicest teenagers you'd ever want to meet.

xyer0

Brilliant
And the minute that anyone starts pushing a culture founded on the scarcity of resources, the knives come out.
James Allen told a story in one of his books that illustrates how consolidation of abundance paradoxically brings forth the miser in species: He fed wild birds by pinching off morsels of bread and scattering them, as many people do. The birds would each peacefully go to a morsel and eat it, with no competition between them. He found, however, that when he set a whole loaf in the midst, one bird would alight atop it and attempt to scare off any approaching birds, even though it was unable to eat even one bite as a result.
This planet can sustain with a surplus the billions of humans and other species upon it, but those humans who are the actual (not selected) rulers of our systems continually seek to gain the whole loaf and control the other birds through it. Since the rulers are the smallest minority, they foment fear, debauchery, and unrest among the sleeping as a means of protection, using all differences available.