• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

New to Poser 11 and DAZ 4.10

dbwalton

Inspired
Hello everyone.

I'm a professional portrait artist and photographer. I recently purchased Poser out of intrigue and something to do while recovering from the flu.

Here's a summary of what I have:

Poser 11
Victoria 4.2
Dawn Special Edition with several outfits, poses and morphs I purchased with Dawn SE

I'm running Windows 10 on i7 machines (I have 3 - 2-n-1, laptop, and desktop). All have 16MB and 1TB drives.

I'm going to have lots of questions and I'm told this is the place to get them answered.

Sincerely,
Brent aka db walton

P.S. Here's one of my first poser projects - Titled: Don't Stand So Close to Me (inspired by the song by the Police)
dont stand so close to me.jpg

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hi, Brent -

Just saw one of your other posts and said welcome there, but now that I know you name, welcome to HiveWire, Brent :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Welcome, again, from me too Brent. That render you posted isn't bad for a first try. You'll find it even easier as you get used to how the 3D software works.

Hornet3d

Wise
Hello everyone.

I'm a professional portrait artist and photographer. I recently purchased Poser out of intrigue and something to do while recovering from the flu.

Here's a summary of what I have:

Poser 11
Victoria 4.2
Dawn Special Edition with several outfits, poses and morphs I purchased with Dawn SE

I'm running Windows 10 on i7 machines (I have 3 - 2-n-1, laptop, and desktop). All have 16MB and 1TB drives.

I'm going to have lots of questions and I'm told this is the place to get them answered.

Sincerely,
Brent aka db walton

P.S. Here's one of my first poser projects - Titled: Don't Stand So Close to Me (inspired by the song by the Police)
View attachment 34922

That is a good mix of software and hardware so you should have lots to explore. Very good first render you should have seen some of my first efforts, come to think of it the very first ones were just a black oblong until I learned how to put the camera on the right side of the wall. If your like me your skills as a photographer (and portrait artist skills of which I have none) should help you in 3D, even more so as lighting in 3D is now very much closer to real life, which was not the case when I started.

Plenty of questions is great, keeps the forums active and I know from experience this is the place to get them answered. You will find some very knowledgeable people here who are more than willing to share that knowledge. Despite the fact I have been doing this for years I recently moved from an earlier version of Poser to Poser 11 and the new render engine, superfly, which was available in Poser 11 was a real mystery to me and my first efforts a disaster. I lot of people here guided me through and I am now finding my way around superfly. It goes to show we all need help at some point.

Ask away, I am sure you will love it here.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Welcome to the Hive Brent.
Excellent first attempt I must say, much better then my first poser image.
She does stand a bit to close, maybe the reading assignment might have something to do with it. LOL

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Wow! That's a good image, you captured the theme very well! To me art is about storytelling and you got that covered!

Ask away! The people here are really great!

And welcome to the hive!

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
You certainly know how to set up a scene! That's the perfect image to go with that song.

:welcome: to the :beehive: !

McGyver

Energetic
Welcome to Hivewire!
Normally this would be the point where I'd start a big long welcome speech that would usually end in something about alien octopuses or the Feline Mafia...
It would somehow be hyperbolically relevant to the beginning, but I recently decided that for 2018 I was going to try and be a little more like the normal forum members...
Seeing that was not gonna happen, I just opted to try and write less.
It's like that saying attributed to Mark Twain...
"It is better to say little and appear thoughtful than to start writing about how chinchillas are trying to take over the world, and remove any doubt about your insanity".
I'm not sure if that is exactly how he said it but I'm pretty sure he mentioned chinchillas.
To be honest I'm not even sure that was Mark Twain...
I read that he had a falling out with a chinchilla at an early age and ever since then he never mentioned them...
In fact scholars believe Huckleberry Finn was about a chinchilla, but Twain changed it to a human because he still resented the chinchilla who wronged him, all those years later.
Actually it may have even been Abraham Lincoln who said that... He loved chinchillas...
Some other scholars believe he wore stovepipe hats just so he could transport his chinchillas between the White House and Ford's theater... In fact the one time he left his chinchilla filled hat at home he got shot.
To be honest after Lincoln got shot, he didn't mention chinchillas much anymore, so it may not have been him.
There is a biblical proverb that expresses a similar idea, namely Proverbs 87:28.45.9 1/2 ... I think it goes something like this... "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise and he that shutteth his face is esteemed a man of understanding until he doth speak of the chinchillas"...
Hmmm...
So I'm doing chinchillas this time...
When I started this I was wondering where this was going, but I guess it's chinchillas...
In my defense, I didn't really plan this.
I just start saying hello and this is usually how it ends up.
Once it ended up in plans for a pudding cannon, but I think that scared off the person I was greeting.
I felt real bad about that.
Worse because the pudding cannon didn't really work.
Oh... By the way I didn't introduce myself...
My screen name is McGyver... In real life that used to be my nickname, so lacking originality I used it for most of my usernames...
That and Lord Vicore...
I used that a few times because back in 1886 (yes 1886... It's a long story) a bunch of Horvellians bureaucrats had a problem pronouncing my name and it stuck for a while... I use to blame it on Microcenter misspelling my named, but that was coincidental and I figured it's time the truth came out.
But anyway, my real name is Victor... But everyone (except for Horvellians and my wife) call me Vic.
I felt compelled to share this because you said you were a portrait artist and a haberdasher... Or photographer...?
It was photographer...
I'm pretty sure or I would have mentioned hats more.
I have a lot of hat related questions I'd have like to ask.
But anyway you mentioned all that and said your name is Brent, so I felt I owed you that for sharing.
Unless you lied and you are really a haberdasher named Stanley...
I won't tell anyone if you are Stanley.
If you are in fact a haberdasher... Is it true about that thing with Lincoln filling his hat with chinchillas?
I feel like it's one of those things I make up but turns out to be true, like that thing with the chinchillas taking over the world.
Anyway...
It's nice to meet you and I should probably keep this short.
Have a great time here and enjoy the hive.
I'm not implying that these forums cause hives...
I probably should have said enjoy Hivewire and 3D Art in general.
It's fun, but I warn you... I've heard it can lead to insanity.
Well, have fun.

Cheer & Beers, Vic.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My brother's name is Victor too. And we call him Vic. Though ... we used to call him Steven, which is his middle name, because when I was young, I couldn't pronounce Vic. So, I called him Ick.

Then too, since I was an only child until he came along, maybe Ick was on purpose.

My brother was named after my dad's closest brother, Uncle Abie. Well, he was born Victor, but he was always called Abie. I don't recall anyone ever explaining why that was so. It wasn't like my Uncle Ray who was actually named Aurelio, but was called Shorty as an adult. (Guess why! Um yeah. My dad, his dad, and all his brothers were short.)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Ruh roh...

First, sorry, Brett, we seem to have forgotten to...er..prepare? you for McG. (Hmmm, can one BE prepared? One needs to at least sit down and NOT be drinking anything that might end up on the keyboard or screen when you burst out laughing as you read his posts). Believe it or not, I think that WAS him keeping it short, lol!

Second, I think he might now be contagious...

Satira appears to have been infected!

:bounce:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You're right Alisa! There's absolutely no way to prepare someone for one of McG's posts. As long as I've been reading his posts, I still make sure I'm not eating or drinking anything while reading them. Spraying my monitor with lemonade once, was more than enough for me to learn my lesson. :D

Hornet3d

Wise
Strange, as I was reading McG's latest post I thought, whoops, we were quick to welcome Brett to the forum but perhaps we should have added a warning about McG except I had no idea how we would adequately warn anyone. The only thought I did have is we could ask McG to write his own warning and then we could refer new members to that. OK, so I know it would not work for many reasons but I bet reading the warning would be fun for a lot of us.