• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Need Poser 11 help with Dawn

dbwalton

Inspired
I applied the Peaches Dress to my Dawn figure. While the dress itself moves when I move Dawn->body, however, if I bend her arms, the dress sleeves remain fixed and don't rotate with the arms.

I set the parent to Dawn, and I clicked the box that says "Inherit bends of parent", but the dress still doesn't move when I move Dawn's limbs.

Help?

example of Dawn and PeachesDress problem.jpg

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hi, welcome to HiveWire :)

The way you are wanting this to work is the way things work with conforming clothing. However, the Peaches Dress is a dynamic item, rather than a conforming one, so you need to run a simulation in the Cloth Room (tab) to make it work.

In the ReadMe folder for the dress, there is a Cloth Room Tutorial. I suggest you follow that, and then post any questions or problems.

Once you learn how, I think you'll like dynamic clothing :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Welcome to the HiveWire forums from me as well, and I'll second what Alisa has suggested. I had never worked with dynamic clothing until last summer, and now I love it.

I don't happen to have that particular dress, but do have several of Lully's other dynamic sets, so check out her included tutorial, and then post any further questions once you've played in the Poser Cloth Room a bit.

dbwalton

Inspired
Thanks Alisa,

That did the trick.

So, what do you do if you have several figures with dynamic clothing? Place them on the scene, go to frame 30, pose them, and then do that for each figure and outfit?

Brent

Hi, welcome to HiveWire :)

The way you are wanting this to work is the way things work with conforming clothing. However, the Peaches Dress is a dynamic item, rather than a conforming one, so you need to run a simulation in the Cloth Room (tab) to make it work.

In the ReadMe folder for the dress, there is a Cloth Room Tutorial. I suggest you follow that, and then post any questions or problems.

Once you learn how, I think you'll like dynamic clothing :)

Hornet3d

Wise
Thanks Alisa,

That did the trick.

So, what do you do if you have several figures with dynamic clothing? Place them on the scene, go to frame 30, pose them, and then do that for each figure and outfit?

Brent

Welcome to the forum and yes your assumption is correct. Set up a simulation for each piece of dynamic clothing, it helps to name the simulation with a relevant name such as top, pants, shirt and the like just in case you need to rerun a simulation. Don't forget also that you are not stuck with just 30 frames, you can have more if the simulation is better and you do not need to render the last frame, you can always step back and render and earlier frame if the drape looks better. I often do this with expressions, set the default at frame one the full expression at frame 30 and step back to get just the right degree of expressions. Another tip I was given is, if you have a prop interacting with the clothing, it is often better to bring the prop to the figure rather than the other way around.

Stick with it, I tried for years to get the cloth room working and it was only after buying some of Lully's clothing and reading the tutorial that I finally made it work. Now, just like Miss B I love it and I have a vast number of Lully's outfits in my runtime (there are some nice stacks).

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yay, glad you're starting to get it figured out :)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Don't be afraid to try shorter simulations too. I often use just 15 frames for dynamics. All depends on the clothing and the pose. You may also find it necessary to allow another 5 or so frames after the pose to let the cloth settle.

A few points to keep in mind with dynamic clothing:
  • If the pose has the figure rotated more than a few degrees, it helps to rotate your figure in Frame 1 to match that rotation.

• If the pose has the figure seated on an object, be sure to add that object to those the clothing collides against. Rather than positioning the figure in front of the object in Frame 1, I will position the object behind the figure, so that as the simulation runs, the object moves into position. That helps with controlling the movement of the clothing as the simulation runs.

• Make sure there is enough space between body parts (like hands and hip) so that the cloth is able to slide between them. If you have a hand touching a body part like the hips and there isn't enough space for the cloth to move, it will snag on the hands or hip.

upload_2018-2-11_9-53-15.png

• Before running the simulation, step through it and adjust any body part or object that interferes with the clothing.

• Make sure you have no part of the body or any other objects that are set to collide with the clothing poking through the cloth. Anything that does poke through that the cloth is set to collide with will snag the cloth, and it will not be able to drape properly.
If you have any questions about dynamic clothing, don't hesitate to ask. There are several of us who create dynamic clothing and even more of us who have varying degrees of experience using dynamic clothing.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've never done anything dynamic in Poser but what Satira said above sounds like what you need to remember if you want to do the same thing in Daz Studio using dForce.