• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Need help with HDRI maps in Poser 11 Pro

Hi peeps! I need help in refreshing my memory as I've forgotten how to apply HDRI maps to a sphere or half-sphere for realistic lighting in Poser 11 Pro. What confuses me are the files ending in .env and .hdr; which one goes where? Thanks for your help with this!

ibr_remote

Adventurous
I summarise my experience with EXR format HDRI and 360 panoramas here: - Using converted equirectangular image in Poser

I use the emission node (and if necessary, an HSV node as well), since I am not using an HDR source image. If you use a source HDRI, you don't need the emission and/or HSV control shader nodes in the Cycles shader tree.

Furthermore, if your source image is NOT an equirectangular HDRI panorama, you need to convert it as I have. I use BlendMaster's method, which requires some Blender3D and Cycles shader know-how. The rest is just tweaking of Mapping node settings to get the right look using The Construct prop or the Geosphere prop.

ibr_remote

Adventurous
I cannot directly use an HDRI panorama in the background node (that one accessed directly from Material Room menu, not the Background Material Zone of The Construct) - it is a size limitation imposed by Poser. Most HDRs or EXRs are too big for that to handle. I am sorry I can't speak for .ENV formats, as I have not used them.

ibr_remote

Adventurous
So to summarise - HDR is the quality of the image; Equirectangular is the shape of the image -these two conditions must be dealt with to make the image appear correctly and to emit the correct 360 lighting, when applied to the dome shape.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I use SnarlyGribbly's EZDome script, which utilizes Bagginsbill's EnvSphere for setting up HDRi images in Poser.

Unfortunately, Snarly's site seems to be down, and I don't know of another source for it, but if I run into one, I'll post it here.

Bagginsbill's EnvSphere can be found here --> BB's Environment Sphere, which can be used for backgrounds by itself, but Snarly's EZDome utilizes the EnvSphere in a way to set the Sun light and such, so both are needed for working with HDRi images.

Edited to Add: It turns out the one site that also had his scripts available is also down, so I posted on the SM Poser Forum, and Snarly responded that he'll work something out "over the weekend", so hopefully I'll have a link to his EZDome script for you in a day or so.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The simplest way would be to use EZDome 3 like Miss B said above, but if you need a quick and dirty HDRI in Poser, all you need is a sphere with the normals facing the inside of it, and of course, it has to be UV mapped. I believe Poser Pro 11 already ships with a few props for that purpose, like a sphere and a dome. They are in the Props library, but you can make your own if you like. Once they are in your scene, just map a texture into it, plugging it into the "Diffuse" and "Ambient" channels. The prior is to make the HDRI image to show in Poser, and the latter is to make it emit light. The intensity is controlled by the ambient "value", where 100% is "1.0". Any values above that will saturate the Diffuse image, turning it into white. This is why EZDome uses 2 spheres - one just for the diffuse, and one for the ambient (emission), so we can increase HDRI intensity independently from the diffuse backdrop.

Hope it helps. :)

Semicharm

Eager
The simplest way would be to use EZDome 3 like Miss B said above, but if you need a quick and dirty HDRI in Poser, all you need is a sphere with the normals facing the inside of it, and of course, it has to be UV mapped. I believe Poser Pro 11 already ships with a few props for that purpose, like a sphere and a dome. They are in the Props library, but you can make your own if you like. Once they are in your scene, just map a texture into it, plugging it into the "Diffuse" and "Ambient" channels. The prior is to make the HDRI image to show in Poser, and the latter is to make it emit light. The intensity is controlled by the ambient "value", where 100% is "1.0". Any values above that will saturate the Diffuse image, turning it into white. This is why EZDome uses 2 spheres - one just for the diffuse, and one for the ambient (emission), so we can increase HDRI intensity independently from the diffuse backdrop.

Hope it helps. :)
You only need ambient for this. Diffuse hasn't been required for previews since Poser 8. Just attach the image to ambient_color and set diffuse_value to 0.

Using two spheres is useful for modulating the ambient lighting intensity. To set the second one as the visible background sphere, go to the object properties tab and turn off "visible in raytracing", "light emitter", and "cast shadows". Set the first one as an invisible light by selecting it and turning off "visible in camera" and "cast shadows". The ambient_value material setting can then used to adjust the lighting intensity without affecting the background.

eclark1894

Visionary
OK, just got a link where you can download EZDome, and some other scripts if you want to try them. You can find them here --> Snarlygribbly's Poser Scripts

Don't forget, as I mentioned in my post above, in order to use the EZDome script, you'll also need Bagginsbill's EnvSphere, which you can find here --> BB's Environment Sphere
I just asked him how long the links will be available. I already have most of them, but I need to know where to link to in my Directory.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Since it's pretty much a plain text page, and he states he "won't" be updating the scripts any further, and that they might not all work in the latest version of Poser, I would think he "could" leave it there indefinitely, and not worry about it. Whether he will, or not, I have no idea.

Let us know what he says.

Semicharm

Eager
My directory has a whole list of places you can peruse to find an HDRI image to your liking. Most are free, some are commercial.
Lights & Cameras

Look under the HDRI Images list.
I'm slowly making my way through the list and noticed that No Emotion Hdrs has a CC NoDerivatives license, which would exclude any public use of the images for CG works.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm slowly making my way through the list and noticed that No Emotion Hdrs has a CC NoDerivatives license, which would exclude any public use of the images for CG works.

They say right on their web page that you can use them. Changing them though may break your license.

1.Can I use your images for commercial work?
You can use the HDRs for both personal and commercial work, it`s free to download and licenced under creattive Commons :

NoEmotionHDRs by Peter Sanitra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. Based on a work at http://noemotionhdrs.net. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://noemotionhdrs.net

Semicharm

Eager
If you read the very next line:
NoEmotionHDRs by Peter Sanitra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. Based on a work at http://noemotionhdrs.net. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://noemotionhdrs.net

And the page it links to states:
NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.

That basically means that you can only use it publicly as is. Using it in any other from, including in a render, would be a derivative.

eclark1894

Visionary
If you read the very next line:

And the page it links to states:
NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.

That basically means that you can only use it publicly as is. Using it in any other from, including in a render, would be a derivative.

No. Just before that I read this at the link:

Under the following terms:

Semicharm

Eager
The NoDerivatives clause explicitly excludes the public use of any derivatives. CC doesn't let you pick and choose which parts of someone's license you want to follow and ignore the rest. I would suggest reading up on how derivatives work under CC licenses
Can I combine material under different Creative Commons licenses in my work?
[URL='https://creativecommons.org/faq/#if-i-derive-or-adapt-material-offered-under-a-creative-commons-license-which-cc-licenses-can-i-use']If I derive or adapt material offered under a Creative Commons license, which CC license(s) can I use?
[/URL]

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm reading the License located here: Creative Commons — Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International — CC BY-ND 4.0

If You Share the Licensed Material, You must:

1. retain the following if it is supplied by the Licensor with the Licensed Material:
    1. identification of the creator(s) of the Licensed Material and any others designated to receive attribution, in any reasonable manner requested by the Licensor (including by pseudonym if designated);
    2. a copyright notice;
    3. a notice that refers to this Public License;
    4. a notice that refers to the disclaimer of warranties;
    5. a URI or hyperlink to the Licensed Material to the extent reasonably practicable;
  2. indicate if You modified the Licensed Material and retain an indication of any previous modifications; and
  3. indicate the Licensed Material is licensed under this Public License, and include the text of, or the URI or hyperlink to, this Public License. I give you that right above.

There is a notice right after that if you have any doubt about being able to follow or abide by the rules then no you can't share. That's something my mother always told me. If you have any doubts, leave it out.