• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Need help fast, Using a mask to mix materials

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Hmm........ Ahh nod ok was just curious as sometimes when you save out an object from Poser and like have the dome on or the ground it xfers into the obj scene and Daz only wants one object in the scene when imported or exported.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
You might try importing it with Daz Scale and see what you get. Just a suggestion as Poser will work fine just as well.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Hmm........ Ahh nod ok was just curious as sometimes when you save out an object from Poser and like have the dome on or the ground it xfers into the obj scene and Daz only wants one object in the scene when imported.
Oh I wonder if that was what stuffed it up, I imported all the parts for all the eyes then started saving them out

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Hmm........ not sure, but might check it and see. I only have seen it once when we were saving out the .obj files for Zan and Taji and saved out the Taji .obj and when I put it into Daz it was all wonky and as soon as I deleted out the dome in there and the floor and lights it was fine.

But I import .obj files all the time it's easier to start from scratch with a texture set than load the model that someone else has textures on, but not sure if that is the problem or not.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
There may be better ways to do this but this is the way I know. I haven't really explored the Iray network so it is only 3delight. It's possible that it could be done with Uber or HSS but I'm not sure how it would be done as I haven't experimented with either of those shader systems much...same with LIE, which is most often used for overlays in DS.

I've uploaded this previously for Ken, so it was already zipped. If you need clarification or it to do something slightly differently pm me or post here and I'll see if I can help you.

Attachments

• penseyemasknetwork.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 343

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
You're welcome. Not sure if it will work with the shader, but at least you can get the cut out areas possibly.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Okay...I have them under My Daz Library(yours probably says something different it's wherever you have you Daz Content) /Shader Mixer/Pens...but you could probably put them anywhere.

To use it load the shader mixer tab and dock it wherever you want it to go. You will need to load it into Shader Mixer and then apply it to your model before saving as a shader preset.

I don't usually use the brickworks section so I normally have that closed and just play with the network.

To import the network in Shader Mixer:
Go to the menu in the top, left hand corner of the panel.
Click on open shader, navigate to wherever you placed the shader and double click or click on the shader and click open.

This is a fairly simple shader that I was playing with to create make up masks. Now it won't work straight out of the box for you unless you have the masks from Kobalt...so the first thing you need to do is set it up for yourself.

In the top right corner of every brick is a little white triangle click on this and unhide the parameters so you can look at each brick.

You'll see that there are two initial bricks on my setup they are on the left hand side but yours will probably be on the right hand side as I've customised my setup.

These bricks are what you normally would see in the surface tab and can be treated the same way.

The next node is a mix brick and you'll see three options Alpha, base and layer. The alpha is the one that you need to plug your mask into. If you're only using one mask per surface then this is the brick you will need to plug it into with your other image plugged into the base option.

This set up has been customised to allow for two masks which is why there are more bricks plugged into the base then just an image map... instead I have another mix brick which this time has 3 inputs. Again the alpha has the mask and the base has Dawn's texture map for the face. Then on Layer I have an edge blend brick which tells the network what colour to plug into the alpha area. In this case by using an edge blend brick I can choose two colours and then using the attenuation strength I can vary how the colours are going to interact.
You can vary how the mix block works by playing with the type and operation.
To add an image to the image block Click the triangle on inputs and you should see the name of my image, click on this to change it.

If you get stuck...let me know.

@NapalmArsenal, I know all about procrastinating...

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
In Iray with Ubershader it will be very easy. That's the situation metalness/roughness workflow was made for.
1. make bones mat
2. draw bw mix map and put it in metallness slot (0 for bones, 1 for metal, in between if you want rust)
3. edit all other maps accordingly, say if you use tranclucency or SSS set it to zero in metal areas.

And look here for better version of this instruction - PBR Guide - very short and very to the point.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
In Iray with Ubershader it will be very easy. That's the situation metalness/roughness workflow was made for.
1. make bones mat
2. draw bw mix map and put it in metallness slot (0 for bones, 1 for metal, in between if you want rust)
3. edit all other maps accordingly, say if you use tranclucency or SSS set it to zero in metal areas.

And look here for better version of this instruction - PBR Guide - very short and very to the point.
Thanks that will be handy if and when I do Iray mats not much good for 3Delight though ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the info phDubrov...looks very useful. I wonder if you can use a map like that or something similar in Uber...I will need to have a play with this.