• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Need help fast, Using a mask to mix materials

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I need to know if there is any way in DS to use a mask to apply two different materials to the one material zone?
I need a answer pretty fast as its for a product I need to submit really soon.
Thanks

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I am trying to add a metal to parts of the cat skeleton lol teeth are easy as they have their own zone but the claws are part of the limb zone

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
You can put a color into the diffuse slot as well as a mat in the slot and have the diffuse color blend together with the mat color.

hmm if you are doing it in Iray, I would just say add the PBR shader and then add the gold metallic or whatever metal you want, or are you looking at 3DL?

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Just a minute and I will show you an example of the color in the diffuse slot over the black and white mat.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I am going to try and do Iray mats but at the moment I am just trying to get the 3Delight ones woking lol

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Ah nod ok, lets see........ do you have a texture map with the metal material on the template or are you just hoping to do it as a shader?

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I had been doing it as just a shader but if its going to be easier as a map I can go whip one up

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Just a sec and I will show you what I'm rendering not sure if this is what you are wanting, but shrug.

I may have some 3DL sahders I can look at , but you usually are going to need a reflection map to go with them.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Ok this is over the base mat using the diffuse color, you can tweak it to some degree with the ambient and specular settings.
Diffuse.png

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I have a reflection map all ready to go, made it with the rest then didn't need it in poser lol

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Well this one is a 3DL shader reflective metallic paint. I can probably send this to you and you can see how to set it up.
Diffuse6.png

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I have some 3Delight metal shaders, the spot I am getting stuck on is mixing them with the bone shader

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Hmm........ ok So how is the bone shader set up? Do you have a seamless tile that gives the texture of bone to the model?

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
The bone is a texture map I made not a seamless tile.
Here is a pic of the leg and claws from poser, both are in the mat zone "limbs"
Toes.jpg
I masked off the toes in poser and applied a metal shader to just them