• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

My external spat the dummy

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
My external drive with all my Runtimes and format saves spat the dummy...nothing shows up...I found this so am trying this...
  1. Remove the hard drive from the computer.
  2. Place the hard drive inside of a zip top freezer bag. (don't buy a
    cheap bag.)
  3. Place the wrapped hard drive inside of ANOTHER zip top freezer bag.
    (yes, you need to do this)
  4. Place the double wrapped hard drive in the coldest part of your
    freezer.
  5. Leave the hard drive in the freezer for 12 hours at least. You want
    it good and cold!
  6. Once very chilled, install the hard drive in your computer and
    start pulling off data. Begin with the most valuable data.
  7. At some point, the hard drive will fail again. When it does, mark
    the last successfully copied data, pull out the hard drive, double wrap
    it again and stick it in the Chill Chest for another 12 hours.
  8. You may need to do this a number of times to get all the data you
    want, or until the hard drive stops working completely.

But what I want to know is...IF this doesn't work...I need to download everything again...so do I need to download all the Dawns and her morphs...or just DawnSE and morphs?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Sorry to hear about the external. I'm not positive Sanbie, but I think DawnSE and the morphs (base, starter, etc.) should be enough. I know I deleted the original Dawn, SR1 and then SR2 each time I updated. I just left the morphs I had, and installed any new ones that came around the time of DawnSE, like the Head Shapes and Body Shapes, though I'm not positive when they came out . . . before or after DawnSE.

I'm pretty sure you don't need the older Dawn versions, as I no longer have them installed, and DawnSE works just fine.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Mmmm maybe I will just have to try it and see...

Also can you use a download manager like flashget to download needed files...otherwise I am going to be here forever!

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Everything that works on the original Dawn, SR1, and SR2 will work on Dawn SE. The only problem is that there are some morphs in the Dawn SE that aren't in the older clothes, you can either transfer the morph to the clothes, one is an adjustment morph to fix the thighs, or you can not use those morphs with those clothes.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Everything that works on the original Dawn, SR1, and SR2 will work on Dawn SE. The only problem is that there are some morphs in the Dawn SE that aren't in the older clothes, you can either transfer the morph to the clothes, one is an adjustment morph to fix the thighs, or you can not use those morphs with those clothes.

I can download all the morphs again...that's no problem as I have them all...

I just need to know if I can use a download manager

Miss B

CV-BEE
I just need to know if I can use a download manager
I don't know. That's something you might want to ask Alisa. I know someone had written one for RDNA which came in handy, but other than DAZ's DIM for their store, I don't know of any that would work specifically with the HW store.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Just sent one off...I will know by 10.30 - 11pm if I will be able to get any data off my drive...

Miss B

CV-BEE
Also can you use a download manager like flashget to download needed files...otherwise I am going to be here forever!
I've never heard of Flashget, so I downloaded it, installed it, and couldn't figure out how to use it, so uninstalled it. Have you actually used this software before?

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Yep I just right click on a download link and go download with flashget/got

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhh, so you initiate it in your browser. OK. I was thinking there was something you had to do in Flashget to initiate it. My mistake.

Have you tried it with one of your purchases here at HW?

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Yep...just did...I had to click on the file and when the box opened to save I did flashget and it worked...
flashget.jpg

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Well it would only let me download 2 at a time...and now it keeps saying an error occurred, please contact owner!
I can't win!

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Did the test of the hard drive...and Nope...in fact it froze my computer...lol
Never rains but pours

Miss B

CV-BEE
:( Sorry to hear Flashget didn't work out. I guess it isn't meant for a large continuous amount of downloads.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
oh my lordy!! Reminds me to continue backing up on MORE THAN one external... (besides my "D drive" inside my machine) ... how horrifying!!
Sympathies!!