• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Music From The Hive

Zaarin

Brilliant
I can never miss an opportunity to evangelize for my favorite artist, Sleeping At Last. He has such an emotive quality to his voice: just check out that tremolo in "Snow." :inlove: My favorite works by him are "Saturn," "Snow," and "[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKdD1JCps5A]Sight." Lest you think everything he does is sad-sounding, however, I'll also mention "Sun" and "East." (He has songs more upbeat than those, but really I'm a sad song kind of person... ;) )

I'm mostly into indie-folk/singer-songwriter type stuff, but one of my more radio-friendly favorites is Nichole Nordeman, though I think her best works are the ones you won't hear the radio playing: "Love You More," "Hold On," and "Small Enough" are some of my particular favorites (also her cover of Cyndi Laupner's "Time After Time"). Despite being Christian, I'm a pretty harsh critic of the CCM scene, but let me tell you that Nichole Nordeman is easily the best thing to come out of it. (There are a handful of others I like: Audrey Assad, Jars of Clay, Phil Wickham...) Nichole Nordeman has been my favorite artist since I was about ten and I've grown into her: there's been a song she's written that's meant something special to me for every season of my life.

And I'll just mention two more: Andrew Peterson and The Oh Hellos. Andrew Peterson has a nice voice, but what I love about him is his songwriting. He's also full of Tolkien references, which is a quick way to my heart (he even quotes my favorite passage in "The Dark Before the Dawn"). A couple favorites: "You'll Find Your Way" and "[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcNVcK6xZdE]The Sower's Song." The Oh Hellos are also brilliant songwriters, and musically they are way outside what I usually listen to. They're Americana flirting with bluegrass, which is very not my genre--but I love them anyway. Check out their unique concept album Dear Wormwood, but if you only listen to one song I recommend the title track and "Bitter Water."

I have mixed feelings about Enya. She has a lovely voice, but she overdubs too much for my taste and I find some of her music a bit emotionally sterile. "May It Be" and "Aníron," the two pieces she did for Lord of the Rings, however, are beautiful. I tend to prefer the music of her sister, Máire Brennan (I think she goes by "Moya Brennan" now), which feels more authentic to me.[/url][/url]

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Heaps of AB "Banjo" Patterson (Australian Poet) poems have been put to music. This is one of my faves (and one that makes me cry, written from the horses point of view):
This is a list of some of the others these guys have put to music: Banjo Paterson Poems (only has really short link to clips but if you go to the video clips it has some of the full songs) Clancy of the Overflow is another fave (my dad and grandfather past their love of folk song/bush ballads).

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thank you Zaarin for introducing me to Nichole Nordeman, she has a pretty voice, the kind I like having in the background while I'm working :)

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I love music too and listen to everything from Classical to ragtime, jazz and Big Band to Rock, Punk and some Hiphop. My family is pretty musical too; my brother led one of the top LA glam bands called Mary Poppinz, my Sister (aka Kristen Black) is currently one of the top drawing artists on the California coast and I, of course, once led a punk band called "Kenny K9 and the Targets" and was part of the "Skinny Pigs" (you can find music for all three at this link).

Currently, I'm listening to two of my favorite current recording artists, John Hiatt and the Paul Thorn Band.

Last edited:

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
What a great thread! So funny that so many use the word "eclectic" to describe their musical tastes. I have a playlist of my favorites that I've called "Eclectic Radio". All my choice and commercial free!

We all have a lot in common in our tastes as well!

My most recent favorite that won't stop playing in my head for nearly two weeks now was shared with me by my children. It's a timeless story, really ... and evidence of what the younger generation needs most to find their way.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
haha I didn't know that's the name of the song, I thought it was just Blurryface :p (Its not really my style but I do like it, its very catchy)

Zaarin

Brilliant
Thank you Zaarin for introducing me to Nichole Nordeman, she has a pretty voice, the kind I like having in the background while I'm working :)
Glad you like her. :D Like I said, she's been a very special artist in my life. (I saw her in concert back in 2005, right before she went on a long hiatus that only ended earlier this year--it was just her and a piano, which was terrific. I got to meet her briefly after the concert.)

I love music too and listen to everything from Classical to ragtime, jazz and Big Band to Rock, Punk and some Hiphop. My family is pretty musical too; my brother led one of the top LA glam bands called Mary Poppinz, my Sister (aka Kristen Black) is currently one of the top drawing artists on the California coast and I, of course, once led a punk band called "Kenny K9 and the Targets" (you can find music for all three at this link).

Currently, I'm listening to two of my favorite current recording artists, John Hiatt and the Paul Thorn Band.
Oh, I love jazz--the old kind. What they call "jazz" these days, "smooth jazz" I think is the official name, is a gross hybrid with...ugh...easy listening. :sick: But old jazz--real jazz--Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee--I love that. :D Whenever my cat is stressed, I sing "Moonlight in Vermont*" to her. :geek: I actually got my appreciation of jazz from two very unlikely places: Star Trek: Deep Space 9 (I understand Vic Fontaine got mixed reactions from the fans, but I loved him) and Fallout: New Vegas. :p

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I’m pretty impressed with Stevie Wright. Now that I’ve listened to his ‘Hard Road’ album he brings to mind Tom Petty in some ways. Interesting to hear he came from the Easybeats. It’s a little known fact (he intones in his adenoidal geek voice) how many MOR artists went on to form heavier rock bands. I suppose the most famous example was Chris Curtis who left The Searchers (Liverpool’s ‘second band’ after the Beatles) to form Deep Purple, the revered ancestors of all things Heavy Rock.
I didnt know that about Chris Curtis...I like the Searcher's I used to listen to my sister's record's from that era so I have fond memories of many bands from that time.

My most recent favorite that won't stop playing in my head for nearly two weeks now was shared with me by my children. It's a timeless story, really ... and evidence of what the younger generation needs most to find their way.

Very cool Lisa...I haven't seen that before. My daughter has very eclectic tastes and listens to stuff like Glen Miller right through to current day stuff. I'll have to show her this...

Glad you like her. :D Like I said, she's been a very special artist in my life. (I saw her in concert back in 2005, right before she went on a long hiatus that only ended earlier this year--it was just her and a piano, which was terrific. I got to meet her briefly after the concert.)

Oh, I love jazz--the old kind. What they call "jazz" these days, "smooth jazz" I think is the official name, is a gross hybrid with...ugh...easy listening. :sick: But old jazz--real jazz--Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee--I love that. :D Whenever my cat is stressed, I sing "Moonlight in Vermont*" to her. :geek: I actually got my appreciation of jazz from two very unlikely places: Star Trek: Deep Space 9 (I understand Vic Fontaine got mixed reactions from the fans, but I loved him) and Fallout: New Vegas. :p
I will have to check out the ones from your earlier post...but for jazz...I like Theolonius Monk as well as most you mentioned. I don't think I've heard of Sarah Vaughn though.

@Rae so sad but Banjo was just brilliant whether put to music or not!

Zaarin

Brilliant
I will have to check out the ones from your earlier post...but for jazz...I like Theolonius Monk as well as most you mentioned. I don't think I've heard of Sarah Vaughn though.
She objected to being classified as a "jazz artist," but she sang a lot of jazz standards. She has a very nice voice, but I can't say I like her as well as Ella Fitzgerald or some of the others. While I consider the Ella and Louis duet definitive, her cover of "Moonlight in Vermont" is rather pretty and quite different.

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
haha I didn't know that's the name of the song, I thought it was just Blurryface :p (Its not really my style but I do like it, its very catchy)

It's not my style either, really. I found it compelling for the story it tells as well as my kids showing me the video separately and months apart as something they wanted me to see and experience. When they do that I take the time to search for a video with lyrics so I can get the full message. The original video says a lot that the lyrics don't. They also have another one called Ride, which is equally compelling to me.

Today, I'm singing Eagles and Ozzy. Peaceful Easy Feeling meets Crazy Train. LOL

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
:bee:
Wow Punk Rock Ken! :D I had to listen, sounds very British Punk.

Like you said Rae, WOW! It's strange how you build up perceptions of people but Ken Gilliland - Punk Rocker!!!! WOW again! I swear that revelation almost had me reaching for a stiff brandy! Mucho Respect to Mr. Gilliland however and a thousand good karma points!

I think eclectic is the word Lisa. The range of musical tastes is breath taking but not really surprising. I've always found that people of an artistic nature are more open and have a greater willingness to appreciate a thing for what it is, be it music or art, rather than expect it to conform to the rather limited view most people apply. Musical snobbery is something we can do without and more power to the posters collective elbows for proving that!
Like the video by twenty one pilots. Not usually my cup of tea, Sara reckons it's because I only listen to Grandpa music (i.e. anything older that last weeks Top Twenty!) but sometimes someone gets it right and that song hits the nail!

Good to see real jazz make an appearance. I have a soft spot for a genre which has not only introduced so many great artists to the world but also for it's common ancestor, the blues, both of which originated in the honky-tonks and bordello's of a bygone era. I would also add Billie Holliday to Zaarin's list as one of the greats. I mentioned earlier that I often visit Toronto which in particular has many live bars and clubs featuring mostly blues and jazz, and where I invariable spend some time. Well worth the visit if you get the chance. They even have a piano on one of the concourses of the Manulife shopping mall which is there for anyone who just wants to sit and play!

Currently listening (01.10 am GMT) to Chopin's Nocturnes and slowly drifting off in the direction of beddy-byes! :beehive:

Last edited:

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
Beautiful story, ec. Lucky and unlucky is a frame of mind, isn't it. She is vey pretty, too.

Is anyone watching Mozart in the Jungle on Amazon? The music in that ... At the end of season one I wanted to see/hear the concert and they focused on the story instead. Hoping they remedy that with season two. Supposed to be out some time this fall or winter, I think? Such a colorful series!

Zaarin

Brilliant
Currently listening (01.10 am GMT) to Chopin's Nocturnes and slowly drifting off in the direction of beddy-byes! :beehive:
Chopin definitely had something special: the things he did with a piano were incredible, and his pieces are always recognizable as his. Nichole Nordeman, who I mentioned earlier, set a song to Chopin's "Prelude in E Minor op. 28."

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've been thinking about this, and I have to say I have a rather mixed bag of taste when it comes to music. I like classical, not all the time, but there's time when I like to listen to a classical piece or a orchestration that has nothing to do with a song but tells a story in the music alone. With the classical greats I also like John Williams, and have somewhere the sound tracks from the first 3 Star Wars movies that I love to listen to, haven't in a while though. Noticed he also did some music in the Harry Potter movies.

I like Filk music and I include in that the songs wrote for Mercedes Lackey's books especially those set in Valdemar. I have some Michael Doucet & Beausoleil, and let me see...

There's some disco I like, easy listening, Blues, Jazz, Rock, Hard Rock, Thrash, a few very rare rap songs (older rap mostly). Music from the 50's and 60's which includes many Motown groups of the era. I will listen to what is "popular" but I will also listen to what catches my ear, which means I was listening to Olivia Newton John when all my friends were going "Ewwww!!!!!" and I like Air Supply and the Bee Gees, Eagles, Johnny Cash, Roy Orberson, Ah-Ha and Abba, Alice Cooper... and we run a gambit of many bands and performers with greater nods to Styx, Ozzy, Prince, and Queen. Though we also have to give a nod to Grace Slick and Jefferson Starship/Airplane, Stevie Nicks, oooh can't forget Moog! Mannheim Steamroller, Pink Floyd, Billy Joel, really love We Didn't Start The Fire, eventually I'll get to the Z's and the rest of the alphabet, Led Zepplin which is actually an L, but then there's Rob Zombie.

I like some of the newer stuff too, though since our top 20 station went country I really don't know how new what I like really is.

Yes the music inspires me, most times right beyond my ability to create. Get an idea in my head, and an image in my head from the music, and then my ability falls short of the mark. Not that I lack what I need, I lack the ability to get what's in my head into my computer to share with others. As for inspiration, Riders on the Storm by the Doors, and other of their songs, have inspired me and I haven't quite managed. Though maybe with Harry and TD2 and a hammer... I could finally get that image from brain to media. Maybe after testing some stuff I'll give it a whack.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'd love to see that Sunfire, Riders on the Storm is an old fave.

Its funny to see that we all like the same/similar music, your line under Olivia Newton John (I like her too) reads just like my likes :)

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
:yeahthat: Go for it Sunfire! I can see seachnasaigh's Fiery Ghost materials for Harry in there somewhere! :). Good to see the Doors and Grace Slick/Jefferson Airplane getting a mention. Riders on the Storm and Go Ask Alice are two of my all-time great anthems!

Pendraia,

More about Chris Curtis and Deep Purple. Curtis came up with the concept for the band, originally to be called Roundabout, consisting of Curtis, Jon Lord and Robbie Hewlett with other members coming and going as needed, and if anyone's tried to sort out the multitudinous lineup's they went through will know they took that idea to heart! After much work he eventually arranged a meeting with his then manager, Tony Edwards, Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord. The meeting was a success and the band was born. Unfortunately none of the others liked Chris Curtis, who was heavily into LSD at the time, so they dumped him, changed their name to Deep Purple and the rest, as they say, is history! OUCH! :cry:

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
Sunfire your comment on not being up on the latest music ... I work from home and I have for many years now. I don't have television for almost as many years so I'm not often in the car where music is playing or don't have background tv noise on so I'm not up to date at all with what's current.

I love the idea of something just beyond the ability to create it. It keeps us pushing forward however frustrating it might be.

I don't generally put music into categories such as Rock or Jazz or pop so I don't really know what the definitions of those genres are or what music falls into them. I have a kinda favorite called Chopin by the Sea which brings me two if my favorite sounds, ocean waves and piano, but I'm not sure Chopin is my go to pianist as to what inspires me. I know what I like and what makes me feel, or dream or inspires me to create. All for so many different reasons. I go more by feeling than genre when categorizing my library.

Today for me is an old favorite called Dreaming. I think this might be considered Electronica but I'm not sure.

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
:yeahthat: Go for it Sunfire! I can see seachnasaigh's Fiery Ghost materials for Harry in there somewhere! :). Good to see the Doors and Grace Slick/Jefferson Airplane getting a mention. Riders on the Storm and Go Ask Alice are two of my all-time great anthems!

Pendraia,

More about Chris Curtis and Deep Purple. Curtis came up with the concept for the band, originally to be called Roundabout, consisting of Curtis, Jon Lord and Robbie Hewlett with other members coming and going as needed, and if anyone's tried to sort out the multitudinous lineup's they went through will know they took that idea to heart! After much work he eventually arranged a meeting with his then manager, Tony Edwards, Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord. The meeting was a success and the band was born. Unfortunately none of the others liked Chris Curtis, who was heavily into LSD at the time, so they dumped him, changed their name to Deep Purple and the rest, as they say, is history! OUCH! :cry:

I love the stories behind bands and their journeys! I'm not great at remembering them.

Is that the same Richie Blackmore from Blackmores Night?

Riders on the Storm. Powerful! Dreaming ... Inspiring. Contemplative ...

Go Ask Alice. political, personal, frustrated, dreaming, the space between ...