• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Modeling hair

Nod

Adventurous
Was there supposed to an upload or attachment, Nod? I think I'm missing something that I can't which shots you're referencing.
No, I was just meaning in general. Google hairstyles, and it brings up 1000s of them. When I get off my backside and try modelling something, I think I'll try a simple style.

quietrob

Extraordinary
No, I was just meaning in general. Google hairstyles, and it brings up 1000s of them. When I get off my backside and try modelling something, I think I'll try a simple style.
Ah so! That does make sense, Nod. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I also wanted to get into hair modeling. I have created a few cartoonish hair pieces, but nothing realistic. Sometimes people want to commission me to create hair, and I just chicken out - I wouldn't know where to start. I think it's a matter of picking the right methodology and technique that works for hair. Texturing realistic hair also daunts me. It's very easy to make it look wrong, especially the transparency maps at the sideburns and forehead.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That is so true Ken. I've experimented using Lady Littlefox's tutorials but still a long way off from managing to make something decent.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have Regina's hair and clothing tutorials as well. I did much better with the clothing tutorial, than I did with the hair tutorial.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Me too...I have dress I made for genesis and have played with converting it to Dawn but never gotten around to releasing it as a freebie.

RobZhena

Adventurous
The new version of Blacksmith 3D has hair tools for creating trans mapped hair using strips and a skull cap. You scan morph the strips to create different styles, pick the length, etc. I read the section in the manual but haven't tried it yet.