• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Modeling hair

eclark1894

Visionary
I want to try something new and model hair. Never modeled hair before, so this is completely new to me. So any advice about where And how to start (I use Blender, btw). I do have one other thing to include. I want whatever hair model I make to be Cloth Room compatible. So I expect the model to be all one piece. Or is that a bad idea?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'll be watching to see what responses you get Earl. I have LLF's hair modeling tut, but she works in Modo, so I find some things hard to work out in Blender.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'll be watching to see what responses you get Earl. I have LLF's hair modeling tut, but she works in Modo, so I find some things hard to work out in Blender.
I had a response from Ghostship over in the SM forum. What I'm thinking of right now is to created a hair model which will be much like a piece of dynamic clothing in the cloth Room. It will basically drape itself over the body and clothing of the figure wearing it.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I'm interested as well. Hair is an expensive item but a much needed item. Any tutorials you can recommend? I'll be working in Blender or Hexagon. Whichever has a tutorial for it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I have Lady Littlefox's tutorial, which I purchased when RDNA was still in existence. I'm sure all of her items are over at DAZ now.

My only problem with her tutorial is, and I found this a bit with her clothing tutorial as well, she works in Modo, so sometimes it may take a while to figure out what tool I should use in Blender, that would get the same results she gets in Modo.

That said, I never completed the hair tutorial, and probably should try it again one of these days.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Same...Miss B...Ive gotten part of the way through it. I really need to sit down and work my way through it properly.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I've recently made a hair model, I'm fine tuning it now.
First step you need to re top your own base cap then add layers over top of layers. I spent a lot of time modeling and a lot of frustration with hair recently.

Last edited:

spearcarrier

Admirable
"So I expect the model to be all one piece. Or is that a bad idea?"

This is a GLORIOUS idea. I highly endorse this idea. I also suggest a face mask to fit over the character's head... okay okay. Just ignore me over here. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Nod

Adventurous
I've not seen anyone mention hair reference shots. Those will give you ideas for styles.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I've not seen anyone mention hair reference shots. Those will give you ideas for styles.
Was there supposed to an upload or attachment, Nod? I think I'm missing something that I can't which shots you're referencing.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Render so we can see it, and then post in the Blender forum how you did it. ;)

eclark1894

Visionary
Actually it was pretty easy. I did it with the screw modifier. right now, I've got one end pinned to Dawn's head while the other end is just stuck in space. I'm trying to figure out how to animate it right now so that the hair curl falls naturally against her face. Right now, I'm thinking I may have to toy with the hair stiffness so it won't lose it's curl.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I also suggest a face mask to fit over the character's head... okay okay. Just ignore me over here. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I've got a lot to do but after I wrap up everything I'll return and share what I learned.

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually it was pretty easy. I did it with the screw modifier. right now, I've got one end pinned to Dawn's head while the other end is just stuck in space. I'm trying to figure out how to animate it right now so that the hair curl falls naturally against her face. Right now, I'm thinking I may have to toy with the hair stiffness so it won't lose it's curl.
Have you tried it in the Cloth Room? Of course you'd have to have it as an OBJ to use dynamically.

eclark1894

Visionary
Have you tried it in the Cloth Room? Of course you'd have to have it as an OBJ to use dynamically.
Not yet. Of course that's where I'll end up testing it eventually. Blender's Dynamics are just so much faster than Poser's... when I can get them to work that is.