• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Millenium Dog

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
A human has long hair on its head, which is a relatively small area and viewed from fairly few angles.
Dogs have hair well .. everywhere. I did experiment with making a long haired suit of fur for the dog, but to get it looking decent in a number of angles would have made it extremely mesh heavy plus the huge amount of transparency involved made even the test version render VERY slowly. To add to the issue, border collies tend to have medium to long ahir, which is fairly wavy and curly. Very tricky to do with trans-sheet hair.

I do intent to make a hair suit for the Hive Dog when he comes along using a few techniques. It will also be somewhat heavy, but I'm hoping a little creative coaxing with subD will help.

I still have the OBJ hanging around so if someone wants it to mess with I can send you a copy, or a lowres-half to use in a modeler to keep working on it. It is not rigged, and I'm not sure if its grouped or mapped at this point either

LM

If that were the case how did the content creator at DAZ create the War Hound for Poser? It has hair painted on body but head hair is strand?

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
At a guess they used the fibremesh tool in Zbrush to make the fur, or possibly the LAMH tool in DS. Both make geometry based strand hair which can be exported as obj.

scatha

Adventurous

Warhound uses LAMH hair, just like Alessandro's new wolf (see image), pity it only works with 3Delight, but they're working hard to make an iray compatible version of LAMH.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I thought you can use LAMH in Iray, you just had to save it differently?

scatha

Adventurous
as far as I know, only if you save out the hair as a separate mesh, re-import and recolor... yadda, yadda, yadda.... wayyy too much work.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
ah, ok, I haven't played too much. I can render it (when my computer could handle rendering without shutting down) but that was with pre-made stuff, it always crashed on me if I tried to create something from scratch.