• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Lyne's Photoshop tips and tricks!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Oh thank you, for creating this forum, Lisa! :)

My lens flare discovery: wip11

Eye Candy 4K Fur for the Gorilla: wip10

my stamp edge for ANY shape stamp how to: wip5

unusal way to create hair for baby Luna with Eye Candy 4K: wip6

my "routine" post work after a poser render: wip7

and reason for my page naming "wip"... it all started when I was doing projects and they were still a "wip"! :)

I'll add to this thread as more are "given to me by my muse"! :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Lyne...that looks interesting.

I've recently been playing with the lens flare in the filters which is interesting also.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
When looking for lens flare filters for Photoshop via Google, I discovered someone giving away lens flare brushes at Deviant Art:). Course at the moment now I can't remember his name, but I did install them in my Photoshop the near quite nice and very varied!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
DID YOU KNOW.... that you can WARP a selection? I JUST learned that I could! LOL!

I sometimes use Select: Transform selection.... to get just the right shape/size of say, an oval or circle.... but one day I needed to really 'fit' my selection to an irregular shape to copy it... so I took it a step further and did: Select: Transform Selection: Warp.... and sure enough, I could "mold" my selection "marching ants" lines!!

Woo hoo!! :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yeah...I've used warp previously but I only have CS3 so it's possibly been improved since then.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Warp is a great tool.
I use it often.
Sometimes you may have to clone or heal afterwards as it may leave a break in the texture.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
That's true, FL, but mostly I'm warping a whole thing...
But I had no idea one could warp the selection itself! :)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yes, you can but it may leave a seam or crack you will need to fill in.
I use Photoshop CS2, wish I could get the new one but that is out of my reach. :)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
If it wasn't for the Warp Tool in CS3 back when, likely I would never have become a texture artist:) Currently I mainly use CS6 (the last non-cloud version of PS)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks FL! LOL my first attempts at doing something with the Mil Horse back in 2007 were SUCH a disaster- took me a while to understand UVs:) I waited a whole year before I tried again and by then the Warp Tool was around and things def started to get easier:)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'll second that Faery Light...would have been a damn shame if you hadn't kept trying Laurie...

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I wrote this up for a current art piece I'm using...couple more Tips:

I create all shadowing via Photoshop. It's very easy- duplicate layer of character or plant and using the bottom layer,
I use Hue/Saturation- pull the slider all the way to the left for Saturation and Lightness, creating a black silhouette
copy...then Gaussian Blur, reduce the opacity to about 50%, then go to Edit-Transform-Distort, and pull the shadow
down and to the left (or right depending on your lighting) and then place it... Sometimes it takes warping or smudging
to get it to look just right. I go by feelings... or even look up shadows in images on Google to help me.

In my current piece (Meeting the Family) the shadow can be under (with light coming from behind/left) the hooves, BUT if the light is coming from the front, I make sure the shadow is never showing UNDER the feet/hooves or the character will appear to be floating above the ground. :)

Another thing I do to set a poser rendered character into the 2D background of the scene is make sure
I put a few copied ground-pebbles or whatever 'over' (just to break the line of the feet/hooves, etc.) to make sure the
character will be IN the scene.

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've used that second tip a lot. In fact, I used it when doing the Artistic Render I did while testing Satira's Stephen the Gardener, as I wanted him to look like he was walking among his flowers. ;)