• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Losin’ Letters... is it just me?

McGyver

Energetic
I hate starting threads, since when the thread eventually dies you risk being haunted by it’s ghost... I figured at some point someone would ask about this or mention it, but it never showed up, so I figured what the heck, I have so many things haunting me, why not.

So this is the thing... And most likely it’s an iOS thing, but anyway... I primarily use my iPad to browse forums and do general internet stuff... This has been going on here for a long time, maybe two years or so... When I type stuff, the forum software seems to cut off letters when I add punctuation... Sometimes one letter, sometimes two... additionally, randomly it messes with autocorrect/predictive text...
Examples:

The fast brown fox jumps over the lava pi, but not a fenc. (it removed t and e)

Previously (above) when I wrote “punctuation“ it ignored autocorrect/predictive text and wrote “punc” instead...

From here on I’ll let you see where it messes up. (Ellipses will contain lost letters)

I‘m not a fan of Faceboo, (k), but aside from it‘s being a seething caldron of divisivenes, (s), in the past, unless you used their stupid app, writing anything would often be the same, except with triple spacin... (g) resulting in sentences that looked like this. (Edited to add- My triple spacing did not show up after postin)(g)
So I’m guessing that this isn’t a Hivewire3D issue alone.

I looked this up and I guess I’m the only person in the history of the entire internet to expe (rience) this phenomenon, but then of course you have to really slog through internet searches these day to find any useful information and reading all the infor (matio) (n) that appeared might yield an answer until I actually visited the page, just proved too time consuming to waste time o. (n)

I don’t expect solution (a solutio) (n), but I’m wonder if anyone has any idea what causes this or technica (l) information on a term for this or someth (ing) similar that might point me in the direction to at least e (be) able toLook up this problem and understand it.

Clearly as you can see, if I were not to thor (oughly) read what I wrote, or go back and correct stuff constantl,(y) most of what I wrote would come out as inco (mprehensible) Ggibberish (an extra G there... interestin)(g)... which is probably an improvement over my regular gibberis. (h)

Thanks in advance for any information or enlightenmen! (t)

Cheer!(s)

McGyver

Energetic
Is it an Ipad keyboard issue?
Do you mean auxiliary keyboard? like one of the bluetooth types?
No, I don’t use them, I have one but I only use it for story writing because so far none of the ones I’ve tried will work with spellcheck/ predictive text.
If you mean is the default virtual keyboard malfunctioning in some manner, then no... it only happens here, Facebook (but not through the app) and one other site I only visit on rare occasions.

McGyver

Energetic
I’m sure it’s some kind of incompat (incompatibility) with iOS (basically an iOS problem), I‘ve seen this on news sites (Politico for example) that allow you to view Facebook comments about the articles, you will often see multiple cut off letters, or incomplete, but mostly correctly spelled words... my assumption is the writer expe (experienced) the same phenomenon, but posted without checking what they wrote.
I left two examples of the cut off words up there to show what I mean.

I’m really just curious about what might cause this, a technical possibility or term I can look into... I want look into this and understand it more before I bring it up with Appl, (Apple) because according to them everything is everyone else’s fault and their tech is flawles.(flawless)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
That happens to me when I use my tablet on FB message.
Never when I use my computer keyboard.
It autocorrects me on whole words.
For instance, my grandaughter's name, Aryca, becomes "Styx" every time.
Now how does it get that from her name?
It gets hilarious when I text my daughter, everything is fine till I hit "send" then what is sent is not what I wrote.
Fortunately, she seems to know what I meant.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The iPads used by the case management staff are notoriously unpredictable with the web version of our application. From what we've seen, they run out of available memory (since who turns off a tablet ... ever?). Most issues reported are resolved once they turn the iPad off and back on.

We also found some (not all) iPads had issues with javascript or jquery mobile? I don't remember which it was since my expertise is with the windows application, not the web browser version.

One way to get around the missing letters might be to type your post in a text editor, then copy and paste it to the post. It's an extra step, but has to be less frustrating then going back and fixing dropped letters in your posts!

McGyver

Energetic
Yeah, I used to write posts in TextEdit back when DAZ‘s forum software would constantly log you out every few minutes, a couple of years back when they changed forum software... at one point I’d have to log in, find the thread and paste what I wrote before I was logged out... often I wasn’t fast enough.
But that was not an iPad issue, the software just sucked at that point.
“A few year back”... jeez, that was like eight years ago?... yeesh, time flies.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I have experienced the missing letters issue a lot on a few forums and when I used to use FB years ago, and especially on google searches. I am on a laptop and have experienced this across 3 browsers, multiple versions of each. The issue is not the device.

McGyver

Energetic
Hmmm... The mystery deepens...

Thanks everyone.

I wonder if aliens are abducting these letters?...

Or perhaps... What we are witnessing is a form of quantum entanglement where somewhere across the universe a Phisstzintzac* bureaucrat is furiously typing up another one of their incredibly long and complicated municipal codes while simultaneously someone on earth is on a random forum proselytizing about The Grand Ninja Hamster Illuminati Peanut Butter Conspiracy and suddenly both they and their Phisstzintzac counterpart type a character onto the screen, but as the device generates the pixels, they displace oodles of loose leptons which locally recombines the gauge fields of their weak isospin and their weak hypercharge symmetries into three massive vector bosons mediating the weak interaction, generating one very belligerent massless vector boson, thus inadvertently annihilating a series of quantum entangled photons which were in the process of forming to make that particular character or symbol, preventing that character from existing.
Thats probably what’s happening, even though I cobbled most of that together from random bits of quantum particle facts I read on a box of space cereal.

*Phisstzintzac: A sentient species of bureaucratic vegetables with a deep affection for elaborate hats, sorta like a purple cucumber with six limbs and three really short legs... at least I think the third one is a leg... its gotta be a leg... they wear sandals on them... I mean who would put a sandal on their... ah, never mind.

McGyver

Energetic
You are probably correct... my dryer tangles everything, I’m sure there is some level of quantum entanglement going on in there and when the socks reach a certain level of entanglement- POOF!
Them and their counterparts in some distant nebula disappear forever.
But...
Since matter can neither be created nor destroyed, I’m sure the atoms are rearranged into junk mail or something else annoying that you can never get rid of fast enough.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
As we all know, Sock Monkey Ninjas lurk near drying machines to steal socks for their black marketeering gnomish masters. In the world of high fashion black market socks, custom monogramming is highly sought after. Now you just can't use regular letters to monogram stolen socks, no, so it only stands to reason that these evil and clever gnomes have found a way to steal the letters they need from internet forums, social media, and smart phones.

That's my theory anyway

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I should add that his theory is predicated on the knowledge that gnomish typeriters keep a log of letters as they charge by the letter, and if the gnomes involved in black market socks were to use their typewriters and their own letters they would leave a paper trail to themselves - and black market socks is a high crime of treason in the gnomish courts...or so I am told.

McGyver

Energetic
You seem to know more about this sock monkey conspiracy than one engaged in casual speculation may... nay, should profess...
I shall henceforth be wary of any simian sounds emanating from my clothes drying machine... But I feel you know more about this than you are letting on to.