• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Looking for tutorial resources about modeling for poser

Ladydrakana

Motivated
Really new to this. And though I have been finding some on my own. They all seem to be missing elements or don't go far enough for me. Some I figure out and some I don't.

Will be using Blender3d for the modeling itself for the most part. Though I do have Hexagon as well. On a tight budget right now. So for sale resources will have to wait until I can afford them. Though I do want to know what is out there.

Mainly have been trying to make clothes for Imploo right now. Only because she has next to nothing. Will work on other figures as I get things figured out. So far have made a western hat prop for her. And am working on a tank top and pants. The pants are a problem. Looks good as long as you don't see them from behind when you bend her legs. Either some rigging issue I have not resolved yet or a modeling issue that I am not aware of yet. For the tank top and the pants I used the quicksuit that is part of the Imploo developers kit by ironman13, Fugazi1968 and sixus1. Have in the planning stages other items that I would like to make for her. Nothing fancy.

So what are your favorite sources of modeling for Poser tutorials?

Ladydrakana

Motivated
Here's a couple of pictures of what I have so far.
ImplooNewClohes1.jpg

Tank top, Pants and bracelet. Used Blender3D and Poser 11 with these.

WesternImpaloo800.jpg

Stetson or western hat. Used Hexagon and Poser 11 on this.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I would recommend taking a look at the Poser tutorials from Renderosity. They have a really good series that goes from beginner to advanced, and their are several which will take you through the basics of rigging. They aren't always easy to find on the Renderosity site however, so here's a link to the Youtube playlist of all of them: Renderosity Poser Tutorials - YouTube

From what you are describing with the back of the pants, it sounds like it could be a weight mapping issue, although I'm not familiar with this specific figure, so I'm not sure if she uses weight mapping or not.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Imploo works back to Poser 8, so that means she is not weight mapped rigging - she uses spherical rigging.

Sorry, I don't do toons so I don't have her and can't help more than that.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
There some good modeling for Poser tutorials at RuntimeDNA that include everything from modeling to rigging and texturing. I think most are for zBrush, though. But the part where we rig things in Poser should be the same from that part on. ==> Runtime DNA Inc. :: Tutorials

If the figure uses legacy Poser rigging (spherical zones), the rigging should be much faster and easier to learn, though certainly more limited comparing to weight maps. I am not even sure if PP11 will support legacy rigging when using the new Fitting Room, since it will create weight maps by default. Things SHOULD still work fine, even with non-weight mapped figures, but the outfit will only work from P9+. Conversely, you can use the legacy old-school "rigging donor" method, which will transfer the rigging to your outfit in a single step using the Setup Room (not the Fitting Room). This will have a couple of side-effects, like it will merge both the material zones from your clothing and the donor figure, and will rename the outfit to the same as the donor figure. Both are rather easy to fix, but will require editing the CR2 file outside of Poser. On this part, a basic understanding on how Poser files are organized would be helpful (aham... essential!).

I would recommend checking the info from the Poser PDF manual, which includes some good intro into legacy Poser rigging with spherical zones. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I can highly recommend the Littlefox tutorials they are really well done. Seriously looking at the Dark Edge Design ones as they look to be useful. I'm definitely going to get the dDo one. I think it will answer many of my questions on using it.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I can highly recommend the Littlefox tutorials they are really well done. Seriously looking at the Dark Edge Design ones as they look to be useful. I'm definitely going to get the dDo one. I think it will answer many of my questions on using it.

I have purchased both - the Littlefox ones and some of the DE ones (I don't own anything on dDo) and found them both to be excellent resources. Littlefox has very little about weight mapping in hers, however.

DE also does spherical rigging only in his tuts, but I will add that unlike Littlefox, assumes a basic knowledge level about what you are attempting to accomplish. He ignores the basics and goes straight to the more advanced stuff.

Littlefox goes to the beginning - and makes it fun while you do it.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
She has a specific one for setting up in DS and I thought she had a Poser one as well. Sorry just checked and they're legacy rigging. Would love one from her on weight mapping.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have both her clothing and hair tutorials. I haven't finished the dress yet, but was encouraged when she told me one of her customers had created the dress successfully in Blender, which is the modeler I use most often. Regina uses Modo, so a number of her screenshots weren't that useful to me, and some of the procedures are done differently, but I figured if someone did it successfully in Blender, than I should probably get back to it one of these days.

That or try it in Silo, since I've had more success with clothes there than in Blender.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh I am looking for a complete Poser workflow with Modo. I want to give Modo a try because it's the very few programs that understands Poser/DS body groups, but I need something specific to Poser/DS.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I know what you mean Ken, Poser and Blender don't work well together in those regards either. :(

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am putting my hopes on Modo, but first I have to find a tutorial that uses it with Poser, and that covers all the areas involved.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I am putting my hopes on Modo, but first I have to find a tutorial that uses it with Poser, and that covers all the areas involved.

You should definitely check out Littlefox's tutorials then. The first one is basically an introduction to modeling in Modo where she takes you through creating the geometry of a dress. I would suspect for someone like you, it would be a great intro to Modo, because you already understand the basics of what clothing geometry needs, so you'd be picking up all the 'how to do it in Modo' parts. And it's all focused around making a dress to be used in either DS or Poser, so it's not just a generic how to use Modo tutorial. The second tutorial also goes through how to set up the UV mapping and grouping in Modo, again to make it usable in Poser or DS. You probably would not need the third one (actually she has two, one is Poser specific and the other DS specific) because that's where she covers how to rig in either program, and the Poser one does legacy rigging not weight mapping.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Aha!! So that's exactly what I need - thanks for the info! I have already modeled a couple of things in Modo, but like you said, nothing specific to Poser/DS. Those generic tutorials only deal with modeling, and completely forget UV mapping, and most of all - Poser/DS use "groups" in ways other applications don't understand. Generic tutorials tend to understand groups as splitting the geometry, instead of keeping it as unimesh. That's why I need something that targets Poser/DS models, or else I will never get the part about body grouping.

I already know how to model a dress, but I need to see what Modo offers with its own tools, so I will grab that one too. Tutorial #2 has exactly the part I am looking for. I hope LLF will not keep it too basic, but at this point any info is better than no info. :D