• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Living with the pandemic

Hornet3d

Wise
It has been a tortuous journey so far, but I guess we have reached a point where we might be able to live with Covid. The size of the damage done is only just beginning to become clear and it looks as though it will be a while before we find the brave new world. Here in the UK the cases of Covid are rising as are hospital admissions but at least the death rate is much reduced. That said the waiting list for serious operations is so long it will take years to clear, if ever, and the National Health Service is wondering just how it will cope with the expected workload due to the flu cases expected in the coming months.

Of course, this is not the only impact of the pandemic as the true financial cost are becoming clear, not helped of course by the war in the Ukraine. Gas and electricity costs have already doubled and look to keep rising at a pace. There has been some government support for the next six months and after that who knows. We also have a political cost to pay and, while I do not want to delve too deeply, I think any party/country that has their leader resign after taking over just 44 days ago would be regarded by most as being in trouble. End result is that the markets are not confident and have reacted resulting in the value of the pound dropping against the dollar with some predicting parity in the near future. Mortgage rates are going up and many who have a fixed term mortgage are finding they have to pay hundreds of pounds more each month or lose their homes.

Personally, my wife and I are protected somewhat in that we have no mortgage, and the extra energy cost will not hit us until August of next year when our fixed rate energy agreement comes to an end. We have purchased some portable battery power packs as there are forecasts that we may have power cuts of up to three hours in the evening when power demand is high.

Thanks to the dollar pound exchange rate it is now rare for me to buy and Poser content and my computer use is much curtailed. We use the car only once a week to visit my in-laws and we incorporate a weekly shop in the same journey. So, we are fairly well protected for the time being, but we are nervous of the future as our energy cost are set to rise by something like £350 a month when our agreement ends.

Other than that, there are strikes everywhere and many people are losing their homes and relying on charity to be able to eat. Warm rooms are being set up everywhere to try and give those that cannot afford to heat their homes and place to get warm. All in all, not a good picture.

So that is the UK, but the dim future seems to be worldwide so how are things shaping up in your neck of the woods?

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yes, it's a mess out there. I count my blessings every day. I have a small income and affordable rent and because I'm considered poor I qualify for a reduced energy bill every month and groceries mostly bought on line and delivered to my apt. There are weeks I rarely go outside, I really should but I don't like cold too much (I abhor being overly hot as well) so with that colder air setting in I really have to bundle up to venture out. Luckily, like so many artistic types out there, I'm pretty anti social so not around allot of people most of the time. I had a couple of friends over last night for coffee/hot chocolate and shaved his head and trimmed his eyebrows for him and then my room mate came home so we had a nice chat, the four of us. Before that I don't remember the last time I hung out with anyone! LOL Stay safe, stay well!

robert952

Brilliant
My take is the CoVid pandemic is over. Yes, there's still cases reported. But not near where the number was and the number is trending downward in North Carolina. The respiratory viruses (RSV) hitting young children is the health issue now. No beds for children with RSV in hospitals around here. (But that gets me OT.)

I have reached the mindset of living with CoVid as with any other flu. I got all the boosters and even my usual annual flu shot. I still got CoVid; my vaccinated wife did not get CoVid. My case was mild by all accounts. I had symptoms much like a mild cold. I feel certain my experience with mild symptoms was because I was vaccinated and boosted. But I can not offer proof.

DW (Dear Wife) is coming around that pandemic is over. She only wears a mask in crowded areas but generally not a lot. (I don't wear a mask except where required which is just medical offices/facilities.) We have a relative who refuses to go into any crowds for fear of catching CoVid, worries about the side effects of vaccinations (though the person is vaccinated), and thinks the pandemic still runs rampant. They have trouble accepting that CoVid (like all the other flus and viruses) will not go away.

We have to learn to live with it and get vaccinated accordingly (my opinion).

I get together with friends and colleagues on occasion similar to pre-CoVid activities. In last couple of months DW and I actually went to the movies (Top Gun Maverick needs the big screen) and visited two history museums. (Granted, being retired we can go when there's no to low crowds.) We have plans to attend a reopened local art museum which took the quarantine and low attendance as a time to renovate a major wing. So, we are getting back to a normal that is only slightly different than before.

As to the economy, the issue is world wide. Some issues are due affects of CoVid pandemic. Other parts come from when and how governments started to address the economic issues. And the supply chain issues stem from a bit of both and affected both.

But, that gets us into politics. And, like @Hornet3d, I won't go there.

BTW, there's no single facet to the economy. My brother attended a business meeting where an economist blames us 'boomers' on part of the economic problem. We boomers are dying off and leaving our earned wealth to our kids. In turn they don't need to go to work as desperately as we did. Also, the economist blames the sign up bonuses being offered as part of the problem. People work enough to meet the requirements to get the bonus and then leave. Job hopping is at a new high in many areas. Go figure. (Makes me wonder about the 'new jobs filled' numbers the news reports.)

DW and I keep an eye on what's going on with the economy and prepared to review our plans as necessary. We still plan on building a new home. She hates it when I call it our 'retirement home.' Our long term plan is to make this the last big move. Assuming we keep our health, it will be many years for us. We already discussed 'what-ifs' so that if things go sideways further, our contingencies are in place.

As with CoVid, we are adjusting to the economic changes. With a fixed income, that creates real challenges. So, we plan for the worst and hope for the best. I just hope my worst case scenarios are indeed worst case. (A worse case means no new house. I won't cover the my 'worst case.')

We have done about the best we can do. It goes back to the (paraphrased) adage to accept the things we cannot change, have the courage to change the things we can, and be wise enough to know the difference.

DanaTA

Distinguished
The economy does make it difficult to maintain balance. I, too, am on a fixed income. Fortunately, my wife still works. But for how much longer is a question in my mind. When retirement day comes, I'm not sure what we will do.

Dana

Hornet3d

Wise
Yes, it's a mess out there. I count my blessings every day. I have a small income and affordable rent and because I'm considered poor I qualify for a reduced energy bill every month and groceries mostly bought on line and delivered to my apt. There are weeks I rarely go outside, I really should but I don't like cold too much (I abhor being overly hot as well) so with that colder air setting in I really have to bundle up to venture out. Luckily, like so many artistic types out there, I'm pretty anti social so not around allot of people most of the time. I had a couple of friends over last night for coffee/hot chocolate and shaved his head and trimmed his eyebrows for him and then my room mate came home so we had a nice chat, the four of us. Before that I don't remember the last time I hung out with anyone! LOL Stay safe, stay well!

My social life is not a million miles away from yours, I meet up with a group of friends that I used to work with in a computer shop many years ago but that is about it. We only meet up twice a year on what we have come to call a geeks night out, although we did miss one year when Covid infections were at their height. I do have some family living in the same area and met up with them occasionally. My wife has a wider social circle than me with more friends and also meets up with the neighbours a couple of times a week as they are mostly elderly women who live alone so she likes to make sure they are OK. We still do our own shopping but do it early in the morning when it is quiet but then we have never liked crowds, so it is more than just a Covid thing.

Hope you manage to stay healthy and worm enough as we live through this.

Hornet3d

Wise
My take is the CoVid pandemic is over. Yes, there's still cases reported. But not near where the number was and the number is trending downward in North Carolina. The respiratory viruses (RSV) hitting young children is the health issue now. No beds for children with RSV in hospitals around here. (But that gets me OT.)

I have reached the mindset of living with CoVid as with any other flu. I got all the boosters and even my usual annual flu shot. I still got CoVid; my vaccinated wife did not get CoVid. My case was mild by all accounts. I had symptoms much like a mild cold. I feel certain my experience with mild symptoms was because I was vaccinated and boosted. But I can not offer proof.

DW (Dear Wife) is coming around that pandemic is over. She only wears a mask in crowded areas but generally not a lot. (I don't wear a mask except where required which is just medical offices/facilities.) We have a relative who refuses to go into any crowds for fear of catching CoVid, worries about the side effects of vaccinations (though the person is vaccinated), and thinks the pandemic still runs rampant. They have trouble accepting that CoVid (like all the other flus and viruses) will not go away.

We have to learn to live with it and get vaccinated accordingly (my opinion).

I get together with friends and colleagues on occasion similar to pre-CoVid activities. In last couple of months DW and I actually went to the movies (Top Gun Maverick needs the big screen) and visited two history museums. (Granted, being retired we can go when there's no to low crowds.) We have plans to attend a reopened local art museum which took the quarantine and low attendance as a time to renovate a major wing. So, we are getting back to a normal that is only slightly different than before.

As to the economy, the issue is world wide. Some issues are due affects of CoVid pandemic. Other parts come from when and how governments started to address the economic issues. And the supply chain issues stem from a bit of both and affected both.

But, that gets us into politics. And, like @Hornet3d, I won't go there.

BTW, there's no single facet to the economy. My brother attended a business meeting where an economist blames us 'boomers' on part of the economic problem. We boomers are dying off and leaving our earned wealth to our kids. In turn they don't need to go to work as desperately as we did. Also, the economist blames the sign up bonuses being offered as part of the problem. People work enough to meet the requirements to get the bonus and then leave. Job hopping is at a new high in many areas. Go figure. (Makes me wonder about the 'new jobs filled' numbers the news reports.)

DW and I keep an eye on what's going on with the economy and prepared to review our plans as necessary. We still plan on building a new home. She hates it when I call it our 'retirement home.' Our long term plan is to make this the last big move. Assuming we keep our health, it will be many years for us. We already discussed 'what-ifs' so that if things go sideways further, our contingencies are in place.

As with CoVid, we are adjusting to the economic changes. With a fixed income, that creates real challenges. So, we plan for the worst and hope for the best. I just hope my worst case scenarios are indeed worst case. (A worse case means no new house. I won't cover the my 'worst case.')

We have done about the best we can do. It goes back to the (paraphrased) adage to accept the things we cannot change, have the courage to change the things we can, and be wise enough to know the difference.

I agree with your opinion on where we are with Covid, cases are clearly rising but the number of deaths from Covid is way down from where they were. My wife and I are in the elderly group with me also in the 'at risk' group so do take up the invitations for vaccinations, both Covid and Flu. We don't generally mask up these days other than where it is requested and in very busy locations which we tend to avoid anyway.

The financial impact has had virtually no impact so far and looking forward we think we can cope if the dire predictions to come to pass. That is not to say we have not made changes as we have purchased some camping type mobile power packs which we charge from solar panels. The advantage is twofold as they will be useful if the predicted power cuts do take place and we also use them on a daily basis to charge all our battery USB devices. I doubt that will reduce the electricity costs much but as the price goes up the savings will increase as well. We have also added a few more water butts to the back and front of the house and use the collected rainwater to wash the car, water the garden and the like. As our water use is metered, we are saving money, but I guess we are also doing our bit to save the planet.

I am not that political really, but my complaint is that we are now on our third Prime Minister this year and each time they go through the process of changing they are not concentrating on the issues affecting everyone. So, my gripe is not with any particular party as I would have the same complaint no matter which faction was ignoring the issues

Hornet3d

Wise
The economy does make it difficult to maintain balance. I, too, am on a fixed income. Fortunately, my wife still works. But for how much longer is a question in my mind. When retirement day comes, I'm not sure what we will do.

Dana

I think the uncertainly is the biggest problem, either because you are afraid of how bad it will get or, if you are already struggling, just how you can continue to cope.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Yes, already struggling. We've had a little extra recently, but it won't last long. And there are so many things that require attention. Central air let go. Dishwasher not working as well as it used to...its at least 22 years old, so not Energy Star, either, I think. Roof needs reshingling...but that's a very expensive thing, we just don't have it. Car is doing well right now, but it's a 2003 Camry XLE. I've had to put more than $6,000 into it in the past two years. Can't deal with another major repair job, so I'm hoping it will be good for several years now.

But...there are people who don't have a car, or a dishwasher, or a house, so we're blessed in that respect.

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
It has been a tortuous journey so far, but I guess we have reached a point where we might be able to live with Covid. The size of the damage done is only just beginning to become clear and it looks as though it will be a while before we find the brave new world. Here in the UK the cases of Covid are rising as are hospital admissions but at least the death rate is much reduced. That said the waiting list for serious operations is so long it will take years to clear, if ever, and the National Health Service is wondering just how it will cope with the expected workload due to the flu cases expected in the coming months.

Of course, this is not the only impact of the pandemic as the true financial cost are becoming clear, not helped of course by the war in the Ukraine. Gas and electricity costs have already doubled and look to keep rising at a pace. There has been some government support for the next six months and after that who knows. We also have a political cost to pay and, while I do not want to delve too deeply, I think any party/country that has their leader resign after taking over just 44 days ago would be regarded by most as being in trouble. End result is that the markets are not confident and have reacted resulting in the value of the pound dropping against the dollar with some predicting parity in the near future. Mortgage rates are going up and many who have a fixed term mortgage are finding they have to pay hundreds of pounds more each month or lose their homes.

Personally, my wife and I are protected somewhat in that we have no mortgage, and the extra energy cost will not hit us until August of next year when our fixed rate energy agreement comes to an end. We have purchased some portable battery power packs as there are forecasts that we may have power cuts of up to three hours in the evening when power demand is high.

Thanks to the dollar pound exchange rate it is now rare for me to buy and Poser content and my computer use is much curtailed. We use the car only once a week to visit my in-laws and we incorporate a weekly shop in the same journey. So, we are fairly well protected for the time being, but we are nervous of the future as our energy cost are set to rise by something like £350 a month when our agreement ends.

Other than that, there are strikes everywhere and many people are losing their homes and relying on charity to be able to eat. Warm rooms are being set up everywhere to try and give those that cannot afford to heat their homes and place to get warm. All in all, not a good picture.

So that is the UK, but the dim future seems to be worldwide so how are things shaping up in your neck of the woods?
I admit to not having taken any shots for Covid. For two years, I didn't have so much as a sniffle. Mind you, now, I'm not trying to get into a pro or con debate with anyone. Just want to relate my tale. Just this past August, I had blood in my urine and had to go to the hospital. Found out I have Prostate Cancer. After my stay at the hospital, went to a rehab facility to recoup for a couple of weeks and ended up.... you guessed it, diagnosed with Covid. Extended my stay in rehab by about ten days or so. Here's the thing though, I hit all the bells and whistles for needing a Covid shot, so I should have been much worse off than I was. I've had worse colds. To be honest, if the hospital hadn't told me I tested positive for Covid, I would have thought I just had a cold.

That all said, you might consider getting a natural gas generator to help power your house if the power in your area goes out.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Glad you are doing better Earl! Did they get the cancer out too or you still under treatment?

robert952

Brilliant
That was part of the exasperation of the disease. People were all over the spectrum with (or without) symptoms. In my extended family I have relatives who didn't get vaccinated, got CoVid, and barely broke stride (mild to no symptoms). One became hospitalized before there was a vaccine but was among those getting the experimental treatments. (She still gets regular tests as part of a long term study.) Some refused to wear masks, period and didn't get CoVid. Like me, some had vaccinations and caught the disease. My parents got vaccinated, wore masks, and didn't get CoVid.

It's hard to win any debate on the pro/con issue around vaccinations. I finally came around to the mindset of protecting myself as I see fit. I quit trying to persuade or convince people to get vaccinated. My 'protocol' was to avoid those who I knew didn't get shots. Now that the numbers are improving, I have accepted the risks of no masks, but intend to get any vaccination my medical 'team' suggests.

BTW, the last two boosters did give me mild side effects of achy muscles and low grade fever and rigors. Those symptoms lasted 24-36 hours and controlled with Advil. My wife had no affects from the shots except a sore arm about the same as any shot. My brother was 'knocked on is butt' after he got the first shoe. So, even if you get the vaccine, results and effects are all over the map.

As I said, I consider the pandemic, as such, behind us (or at least me). I live a more pre-CoVid lifestyle.

eclark1894

Visionary
That was part of the exasperation of the disease. People were all over the spectrum with (or without) symptoms. In my extended family I have relatives who didn't get vaccinated, got CoVid, and barely broke stride (mild to no symptoms). One became hospitalized before there was a vaccine but was among those getting the experimental treatments. (She still gets regular tests as part of a long term study.) Some refused to wear masks, period and didn't get CoVid. Like me, some had vaccinations and caught the disease. My parents got vaccinated, wore masks, and didn't get CoVid.

It's hard to win any debate on the pro/con issue around vaccinations. I finally came around to the mindset of protecting myself as I see fit. I quit trying to persuade or convince people to get vaccinated. My 'protocol' was to avoid those who I knew didn't get shots. Now that the numbers are improving, I have accepted the risks of no masks, but intend to get any vaccination my medical 'team' suggests.

BTW, the last two boosters did give me mild side effects of achy muscles and low grade fever and rigors. Those symptoms lasted 24-36 hours and controlled with Advil. My wife had no affects from the shots except a sore arm about the same as any shot. My brother was 'knocked on is butt' after he got the first shoe. So, even if you get the vaccine, results and effects are all over the map.

As I said, I consider the pandemic, as such, behind us (or at least me). I live a more pre-CoVid lifestyle.
I was raised by the women in my family, so I tend to do what they say. Since , according to the hospital, I just got over Covid I'll be taking the shot in December.

eclark1894

Visionary
Yes, already struggling. We've had a little extra recently, but it won't last long. And there are so many things that require attention. Central air let go. Dishwasher not working as well as it used to...its at least 22 years old, so not Energy Star, either, I think. Roof needs reshingling...but that's a very expensive thing, we just don't have it. Car is doing well right now, but it's a 2003 Camry XLE. I've had to put more than $6,000 into it in the past two years. Can't deal with another major repair job, so I'm hoping it will be good for several years now.

But...there are people who don't have a car, or a dishwasher, or a house, so we're blessed in that respect.

Dana
My car is a 1993, and I'm happy about that. Short of something major, I can take care of any maintenance myself unless I just don't want to get dirty.

DanaTA

Distinguished
My car is a 1993, and I'm happy about that. Short of something major, I can take care of any maintenance myself unless I just don't want to get dirty.
I don't even do my own oil and filter changes anymore. But I did change the cabin air filter a while ago. That was pretty easy. And I'll change some of the light bulbs. But changing struts, tie rod ends, steering racks. Nope, never ever. I don't even have a garage.

Dana

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE

Every thing you mentioned is pretty much how I've seen it with friends and neighbors as far as how they reacted to the outbreak. I have a long time friend (over 40 years) who absolutely refused to get the vaccine because it was something to help you not die if you get Covid. She refused because none of them were going to help you avoid getting infected in the first place. She's been very lucky so far, even though a good many of her extended family have had it.

I had it near the start of the outbreak in early 2020, and didn't even know it. I usually see my Internist twice a year, April and October, but I didn't get to see her that April, as I had received a text message that one of her offices, the one I usually saw her at, was closing, and I would have to see her in the other office going forward. What I found out in October was that she had been in the hospital for 6 to 8 days, with Covid. She asked if I wanted to have the Covid test while I was there that day for my usual testing, and I said yes, because I didn't know where else to go for the testing. When I didn't get a call that I had it, I went back a week later as I usually do for my test results. THAT's when I found out I had contracted it. I asked how, as I had no symptoms, and she said it doesn't matter if you have symptoms, but I did have the antibodies. I was shocked to say the least.

I didn't get a shot for a while, as my pharmacy only had one vaccine to offer at that time, and too many people I had been talking to about it, had bad symptoms, one of whom was thrown for a loop with both the first and second initial vaccines. Six months after my second shot, I had my first booster, and 6 months after THAT shot I had my second booster (early July this year), so I can't get anymore for now.

That all said, I'm NOT a vaccine person, as my very first Flu shot put me in bed for several days, and I swore I would never have it again, and haven't, nor have I had the Flu in decades since then. Now, however, with Covid to consider, I think I'm going to change my mind on that vaccine, and start getting it yearly, especially as someone who's well into being a Senior Citizen, as they now have Flu shots specifically for Senior Citizens.

Oh, I do still wear a mask in public, especially stores I shop in, and will only pull it down off my face during one of my daily walks, as I don't go near very busy streets during those walks, and DO lift it back up if I see someone heading my way.

eclark1894

Visionary
Every thing you mentioned is pretty much how I've seen it with friends and neighbors as far as how they reacted to the outbreak. I have a long time friend (over 40 years) who absolutely refused to get the vaccine because it was something to help you not die if you get Covid. She refused because none of them were going to help you avoid getting infected in the first place. She's been very lucky so far, even though a good many of her extended family have had it.

I had it near the start of the outbreak in early 2020, and didn't even know it. I usually see my Internist twice a year, April and October, but I didn't get to see her that April, as I had received a text message that one of her offices, the one I usually saw her at, was closing, and I would have to see her in the other office going forward. What I found out in October was that she had been in the hospital for 6 to 8 days, with Covid. She asked if I wanted to have the Covid test while I was there that day for my usual testing, and I said yes, because I didn't know where else to go for the testing. When I didn't get a call that I had it, I went back a week later as I usually do for my test results. THAT's when I found out I had contracted it. I asked how, as I had no symptoms, and she said it doesn't matter if you have symptoms, but I did have the antibodies. I was shocked to say the least.

I didn't get a shot for a while, as my pharmacy only had one vaccine to offer at that time, and too many people I had been talking to about it, had bad symptoms, one of whom was thrown for a loop with both the first and second initial vaccines. Six months after my second shot, I had my first booster, and 6 months after THAT shot I had my second booster (early July this year), so I can't get anymore for now.

That all said, I'm NOT a vaccine person, as my very first Flu shot put me in bed for several days, and I swore I would never have it again, and haven't, nor have I had the Flu in decades since then. Now, however, with Covid to consider, I think I'm going to change my mind on that vaccine, and start getting it yearly, especially as someone who's well into being a Senior Citizen, as they now have Flu shots specifically for Senior Citizens.

Oh, I do still wear a mask in public, especially stores I shop in, and will only pull it down off my face during one of my daily walks, as I don't go near very busy streets during those walks, and DO lift it back up if I see someone heading my way.
I still wear my mask when I go to the store, but it's mainly because I like keeping my distance from other people anyway. Covid just gave me a better excuse. When the vaccine first came out, I did intend to get the shot, but after watching the news and seeing people who had been vaccinated and still got Covid, I figured they were lying to me. After all, they said initially that if you got vaccinated, you wouldn't catch Covid, or pass it on. They even rated the vaccines as to how good they were by the percentage of it preventing Covid. Eventually, they stopped doing that. When people, particularly those you're supposed to trust, start telling you one thing and you see another happening, yeah, it's hard to trust those people ever again.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Well, this was a new thing at the time and they didn't really know what it would or would not do. Some vaccines prevent illness, some just prevent it from becoming serious and hospitalizing you. The COVID vaccines are in the latter category.

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, this was a new thing at the time and they didn't really know what it would or would not do. Some vaccines prevent illness, some just prevent it from becoming serious and hospitalizing you. The COVID vaccines are in the latter category.

Dana
Which is why there is such a long testing period for new drugs. Now, granted this was an emergency, but then again, I don't volunteer for experimentation for new drugs, especially when the government gives a free pass to the pharmaceutical companies from lawsuits.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Exactly how it was when the Flu epidemic first raised its ugly head, but so many years later you shouldn't have to worry about it. If I hadn't experienced a bad set decades ago, I probably would've gotten it each year.