• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Links for useful tutorials for Zbrush

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
We had such great info in our previous forum that I thought I would try and rebuild some of it.

Edited to add...if you have any questions please start a separate thread and if you have links please PM me as I would like to try and keep the thread organised.

If anyone knows Mec4D's method of creating surface groups from polygroups please post it...I haven't been able to find it in onenote yet...more will be added as I go.

If using DS I tend to use goZ to send my model across. Don't forget to change the subDivision to 0. Resolution is no longer a problem and doesn't need to be changed but the subd still needs to be changed.
I use the polygroups/autogroups with uv to create the uv groups. If you want to bring the mesh in manually it was suggested by Mec4D that it was best to use Cinema 4D scale when exporting and importing.
Creating Textures
This was one of the first videos I found and very useful
Creating and Exporting Texture Maps in ZBrush by our very own Dylan...
Easy Skin Painting in ZBrush
Colouring or Darkening Skin Pores in ZBrush using Mask by Cavity.
Texture a Character in ZBrush using Spotlight.
Importing And Applying Multiple Textures To A Character in ZBrush
Making Sculpted Detail From Polypaint In Zbrush

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Some more videos for getting started from Bonnie...for some reason it wouldn't let me add them to the first post.

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
UV mapping
by Daniel H

Another video on uv mapping. First half of video is specifically Zbrush. Second half presents a different workflow showing zBrush working in conjunction with a modelling program.

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Clothing - some of you might be thinking why isn't this with the wrinkles and drapery but in my opinion there are enough tutorials on Wrinkles and drapery to warrant its own section.
This was the tutorial I used to help make my flats. Only used the first part and I did it without the reference images just using Dawn's foot. Fantastic tutorial though...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Brushes
This is really useful and explains the differences between this curve brushes

Last edited:

NG Artplay

Eager
Contributing Artist
Thank you for this thread...woohoo! I just bought ZBrush a week ago but have not spent any time with it. I hope to learn how to use it and make my workflow more efficient and faster. Right now I tend to creep along, lol.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That makes two of us creeping together...I've got lots more to add. I'm trying to keep them specific to making content as much as possible. Just found some more uv mapping and another on exporting textures which was really good. It's different to Dylan's one but it also includes exporting ao and also specular of a type.

helena

Inspired
Oh thanks for these Pendraia, especially for the one on splitting a character into individual sub tools. I had a really awful time trying to hide the unwanted eyelashes in ZBrush (I tried pushing them inside the head), and to think the solution is sooo simple.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
A nice selection of tutorials Pen. Thanks.

Oh, and as far as the video showing up when you just placed the URL, I found that happened with two of the tutorials in my Blender list, and I didn't necessarily want them there, so I just deleted the Media tags after the URL. I guess this forum software does that automatically.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Just to hide the lashes if you're using goz here's what I do.

After sending the figure from DS I just draw out the figure and hit edit, then frame.

Go to polygroups. Autogroup with uv's

If you hit the polyframe button to show the wires you will see at this point that there is groups everywhere.

So we hit merge similar. This will give you less polygroups and is still really useful for hiding groups.

Then hold ctrl-shift and click using the left mouse button on the item you want to hide. It will disappear. If you need more than one item hidden, click again to hide the next bit until it's all gone. To get it back hold ctrl-shift and tap on an empty space in the screen and it will all come back. It's what I do when creating morphs. You can use this to mask visible so that you don't touch certain parts of the mesh also.

Thanks Miss B...I decided it might help people to see them so I've left the first few. It will stop doing it after about the fourth one anyway which I thought was good.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
No problem Jan...I really need to add a few more. My biggest problem at the moment is lack of time.