• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Just letting off steam...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some folks here know the truth, but it amuses me that folks over on the DAZ3D forums simply do not understand that Smith Micro has no financial incentive to add support for DSON format content just so PAs there don't have to make content in a Poser native format. Either that, or they've been exposed to the lie long enough that it rolls off the keyboard and sounds true to them.

eclark1894

Visionary
DAZ actually has more financial incentive that Poser does. Plus Hivewire's Dawn and DSON itself disproves the lie that Genesis can't be converted to Poser native format. Something I argued when Genesis first debuted. In fact, I just had a somewhat similar argument (debate) in the SM forum. Why should I pay the full price for a product where "some assembly is required" ?Who wants to pay Thomas Broyhill prices for IKea brand furniture? And if there's no difference in quality between a DS product and a DSON compatible one, then why not have the vendors that that last step and convert it themselves?

Folks there will counter with "Poser content doesn't sell" when it's not truly Poser content if it has to be converted before use. That's why many Poser users aren't buying content at DAZ3D.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
DAZ decided to introduce it's own proprietary format and then whines when no one else adopts it so they can pay DAZ licensing fees.

It's not just Poser. No one has even attempted to adopt DAZ's crazy plans.

eclark1894

Visionary
Folks there will counter with "Poser content doesn't sell" when it's not truly Poser content if it has to be converted before use. That's why many Poser users aren't buying content at DAZ3D.
I haven't left DAZ vendors out of my directory as long as they make or have made native Poser content. DSON doesn't count as native Poser content. How can it when it's sole purpose is to convert native DAZ content to Poser format? Come to think of it, didn't DAZ stop updating DSON?

DAZ decided to introduce it's own proprietary format and then whines when no one else adopts it so they can pay DAZ licensing fees.

It's not just Poser. No one has even attempted to adopt DAZ's crazy plans.

Like I said, folks don't seem to get these little details.

I haven't left DAZ vendors out of my directory as long as they make or have made native Poser content. DSON doesn't count as native Poser content. How can it when it's sole purpose is to convert native DAZ content to Poser format? Come to think of it, didn't DAZ stop updating DSON?

Define "update". I don't think the format has changed much in the past few years, since even the two most recent Genesis figures will work if converted and imported via the DSON importer plugin.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Define "update". I don't think the format has changed much in the past few years, since even the two most recent Genesis figures will work if converted and imported via the DSON importer plugin.

Ummm, no. Earl is correct - DAZ no longer updates the DSON importer. Not since Genesis3 was introduced.

And, Gen3 and Gen8 only work in Poser with Willdial's converter.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Not only does Smith Micro have no financial incentive to support Genesis figures in Poser, it would be counterproductive to do so as the development team would need to fix functionality every time DAZ released a new DS version. In the end though, it would be Poser users who suffered for it ... as improvements to Poser would need to be sidelined to fix code broken by DAZ changes.

Not only does Smith Micro have no financial incentive to support Genesis figures in Poser, it would be counterproductive to do so as the development team would need to fix functionality every time DAZ released a new DS version. In the end though, it would be Poser users who suffered for it ... as improvements to Poser would need to be sidelined to fix code broken by DAZ changes.

I get that, quite well. Many folks over on the DAZ forums have drunk the kool-aid, as it were. And it's really sad to see folks that hide behind half-truths when anyone with any understanding of marketing knows that a business needs to make money from something before they will do something, and the risk of something breaking because of someone else's changes isn't going to be worth it.

McGyver

Energetic
Who wants to pay Thomas Broyhill prices for IKea brand furniture?
Someone trying to off a rich person for the insurance money, who can't tell the difference between real furniture and furniture made out of compressed graham crackers.
You buy the biggest, heaviest (usually most expensive) IKEA furniture and at some point it will collapse and crush that person you are hoping to collect on...
It's a great plot for a murder mystery.

eclark1894

Visionary
Someone trying to off a rich person for the insurance money, who can't tell the difference between real furniture and furniture made out of compressed graham crackers.
You buy the biggest, heaviest (usually most expensive) IKEA furniture and at some point it will collapse and crush that person you are hoping to collect on...
That's enough Miss Marple for you!:sneaky:

quietrob

Extraordinary
I remember years ago Texas Instruments had a personal computer out on the market. This was before Windows or DOS. Apple also had an offering. Texas Instruments then issued a statement warning all third parties not make software for their computer or they would sue. Apple, on the other hand had a software making contest. The winner would get a job with Apple and the software would be sold on their market. I understand the winner was a 13 year old boy who programmed a game about Mars. We all know what happened to Apple Computers and the Texas Instrument PC as we knew it, went out of business.

The formats may be proprietary but history has shown what happens when such formats aren't shared. I still don't remember any cease and desist letter warning DAZ not make models for their software. I do think that companies make a great product. DAZ still makes great Poser content on occasion. However, if it wants to prosper and get back their Poser user base, they can make a deal so that the software works with Poser. Likewise, if Smith-Micro wanted to keep it's users happy (and it's only common sense that they do) they'll have it work with DAZ content as well. It's not unheard of. My past workplace was called Silicon Systems. We made Integrated Circuits. A competitor in Hong Kong copied our circuits so completely they even left the designers sign. Think of the Nike Swoosh. Instead of trying to wipe the other company out of business, Silicon Systems worked out a royalty deal that wouldn't break the other company. Both companies made a mint for a while.

I guess, I'm just saying as a user of DAZ and Poser models, I wish they could work together.

Oh and MP3 isn't a proprietary format. It actually never was. The Encoders and Decoders were patented though. However, those patents expired in 2015. Everyone enjoy their Mp3's!!

quietrob

Extraordinary
McGyver for the win!!!

McGyver

Energetic
Did you know that at least 75% of the furniture in Ikea's catalogue is CG rendered, and not photographs?:

Hmmm...
That would explain a lot...
Created in a 3D program, rendered for the catalog and 3D printed out of graham cracker powder mixed with watered down white glue.
I may have to revise the last part because last night I built a coffee table out of old graham crackers and it's actually structurally more stable then the old dresser from IKEA that we have...
Then again the dresser is 60% metal mending plates and repair brackets that I've added over the years...

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Hmmm...
That would explain a lot...
Created in a 3D program, rendered for the catalog and 3D printed out of graham cracker powder mixed with watered down white glue.
I may have to revise the last part because last night I built a coffee table out of old graham crackers and it's actually structurally more stable then the old dresser from IKEA that we have...
Then again the dresser is 60% metal mending plates and repair brackets that I've added over the years...

Bwahahahahahaha, remind me not to bring my puppies to visit. They would eat your graham cracker furniture.

eclark1894

Visionary
I would expect if Poser added support for the Iray render engine you would see an explosion in cross compatibility of props and shader presets and by adding native support for Dual Q rigging, cross platform figures wouldn't be that big of a stretch. But I am sure many swear by Superfly and will argue that Dual Q rigging is just not needed in Poser... And in a way, if the two programs become identical for content supports benefits, whats the point of them being different platforms at all. Each with their own unique advantages, highlights and flaws.

There is little to zero incentive for Poser to bridge that gap. In fact, since it would seem that DAZ and it's vendors would be the most immediate benefactors in such a compatibility move, it makes far more sense for DAZ to be the one to make at least the first move. However, as you yourself point out, instead the two softwares are diverging further apart.

Last edited:

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Nobody wants a music player that doesn't support the vast majority of content that's available in the greater market no matter how many bells and whistles the player has.
It's exactly my player :)
And I'd prefer two-way bridge over native/plugin support in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.