• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

It's my birthday soon ...

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've been wanting to get a convention microwave oven for a few years. My microwave is a very old Quasar (like pre divorce old ... which makes it well over 20 years old) and while it's still functional, it's only 500 watts. Consequently, I primarily use it for steaming vegetables, "baked" potatoes, or reheating.

While I frequently would like to cook something in the oven, I have a very hard time justifying doing so for one person. And I don't exactly trust Tsuki with a hot oven yet. She's just too curious. So ... I primarily cook food on the stove or in a slow cooker.

While I have a hard time justifying purchases of appliances or other biggish ticket items when what I have is still functional, I'm not quite so frugal when my birthday or Christmas rolls around. After all ... one SHOULD get birthday and Christmas presents ... even if the gift giver is yourself. So, once or twice a year, I want to treat myself.

Has anyone purchased a convention microwave? If so, what do you like about it and how are you using it?

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
We've had one for a few years. Still use it more for Microwaving but the Convection part is good too but I don't know if it just ours but it seem to cook slower than a real oven.
If doing something like roast meat and veg we still use the main oven. (but then again, my hubby does 99.999% of the cooking so what do I know :p hehehe)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I've been wanting to get a convention microwave oven for a few years. My microwave is a very old Quasar (like pre divorce old ... which makes it well over 20 years old) and while it's still functional, it's only 500 watts. Consequently, I primarily use it for steaming vegetables, "baked" potatoes, or reheating.

While I frequently would like to cook something in the oven, I have a very hard time justifying doing so for one person. And I don't exactly trust Tsuki with a hot oven yet. She's just too curious. So ... I primarily cook food on the stove or in a slow cooker.

While I have a hard time justifying purchases of appliances or other biggish ticket items when what I have is still functional, I'm not quite so frugal when my birthday or Christmas rolls around. After all ... one SHOULD get birthday and Christmas presents ... even if the gift giver is yourself. So, once or twice a year, I want to treat myself.

Has anyone purchased a convention microwave? If so, what do you like about it and how are you using it?

I have used one for several years and absolutely love it - especially when cooking for myself. I use it waaaaaaay more than a microwave and haven't replaced my broken microwave in more than a year. It was just taking up space after I got my convection oven.

I just purchased one for my brother and his bride for a wedding gift (wedding is Sunday).

For me alone, I use my convection oven and my small pressure cooker more than any other cookware.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Funny you should mention your birthday Satira, as it's a day before mine, and also interesting that you're looking to get a convection oven. I've had mine for a while, but except for baking brownies or something similar, I basically only use it as a microwave.

What I've been looking at recently is Wolfgang Puck's Pressure Oven. There's more than one model, the original and one with a Rotisserie. It has it's own website, puckoven.com, where you can check it out.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
BTW Satira, Amazon has Wolfgang's Pressure Oven, and since, IIRC, you're an Amazon Prime member, you might want to check it out there as well.

Carey

Extraordinary
It could be a difference in what could be the definition of what could be called the spice of life, but I prefer the oven. I love the way it fills the house with what is cooking and what it does to the appetite...Yes, it is silly, but I just don't care for the "smells" of a convection oven... But seriously if life gets to moving so fast we don't have time to enjoy the smells of cooking then life just might have a great deal more missing in it...lol At any rate happy birthday to the birthday folks...Just a moment, imagine life going so fast that trick or treating becomes a face book function and treats a matter cyber money or email "treats" Should that be considered progress?

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah. I hear what you're saying Carey. Roasts and turkeys ... or even bread fills the house with absolutely divine smells. Not that I've ever had a warm enough house for making bread ... which is why I finally purchased a bread machine more than a decade ago. Love it, and it does a good job of making a small apartment smell good (as does the slow cooker), but while I had a workable place for it in my previous apartment, I don't in this one. So it's inconvenient to use it.

One day maybe I'll have a kitchen with decent counter space.