• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Is there a way to take lights out of photos?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm trying to texture something and all the photos have huge light reflections. I tried photographing it with the lights off and they still photograph that way. Is there a way to reduce this in Photoshop?

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Without having more specifics, how drastic the light is and so on, I can say a lot can be done in Camera Raw (part of Photoshop) or similar programs like On1 Photo Raw, with digital photos- best if you can to shoot in raw mode as apposed to jpg etc. for best results.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes def. not using the flash will help. If you are taking pix inside just flood the area with as much light as you can if you need more light so you can use a fast enough shutter speed to make sure to get crispness. Sometimes then one ends up with a yellow or orange cast- most digital cameras have an indoor/incandescent light setting that will get rid of that or you can always do that in Camera Raw. I am always amazed how much one can do in Camera Raw.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Oh thank you. I'll give it a try. I tried taking them without the flash and they are a lot better.

Hornet3d

Wise
The thing with using RAW on any camera is that all the data available when the photograph is captured was taken unlike other formats like .JPG where some in thrown away. Both have there strengths and weaknesses but if you want to modify the photograph at a later date the more data you have the more options open to you.

Doug Hunter

Busy Bee
Contributing Artist
Hey Janet, just to clarify what you are trying to achieve.
I take it that you have a photo that you want to remove the light source so to end up with an albedo.
Is it then your intention to produce some base-colour, normal, roughness & metallic maps to texture your material?
If so, then take a look at Allegorithmic’s B2M. It will take your photo, fix the lights, and produce all the relevant maps for your textures.

Doug Hunter

Busy Bee
Contributing Artist
If you want to see if it will work for you, I have it (although I rarely use it) but if you’d like to PM me a photo I could have a shot at doing a test for you to see if it would do want you want.