• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Is the cloth room.... broken?

spearcarrier

Admirable
Poser has been begging me to download and install an update for weeks, and two days ago in a fit of high fever I caved in and agreed.

Ever since then I cannot make dynamic cloth. I can load cloth, I can simulate it. It won't save. It goes through the motions of saving. It even puts an icon in my library. But try to load it, and nothing will be there.

I could troubleshoot... or I could roll back. I think I should roll back.

But I don't know how? I've never rolled back an installation before in all these years. Crazy, huh.

Shouldn't have happend. So I first would try to install that update again to see if the cloth room still doesn't work. If it still don't work, install the previous update over it. It usually goes back without issues. At least for me.

In general I usually wait with updates. I had updates which turned Poser into crashing every time. So if the program works fine, I ignore updates. You can uncheck the option for looking for new updates in your settings. It's usually the first thing I do in almost all programs.

My install of PP11 did this a while back and it was associated with an update to windows 10 and flash. I ended up having to completely reinstall Poser to get it to work again.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
What version of the software did you update to?

You can find your version number by going to Help>About Poser on the Poser menu.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
What do you mean nothing will be there? A dynamic prop and a static one save to the library the same, the dynamic one just has extra information. Can you open the .pp2 file in a text editor or PFE and say what's in the file?

spearcarrier

Admirable
Hi guys. Thank you for your responses!
This is Poser Pro 2014 on a Windows 7 64bit machine. Nothing too fancy...
I couldn't open the prop at all, not in DAZ nor poser. I wouldn't know how to open the files in an editor, though.
I got it to work, so maybe I was doing something wrong? I was importing the obj straight from Blender and then doing my thing, but it worked when I imported, then exported, then imported the poser export. Strange.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
It kind of sounds like Poser lots track of the original .obj file for the prop. I sometimes do this to myself as I covert an .obj into either a prop or conforming item. When that happens you can 'load' the item, but nothing shows up in the scene (although sometimes there will be the name of thing in your hierarchy you just can't do anything with it).

English Bob

Adventurous
So you're telling me then that Poser is getting senile.

LOL - when an application has been worked on by as many hands as Poser has over the years, it takes superhuman organisational skills to avoid software senility. :)

As far as I know the cloth room isn't broken - I use it regularly in the latest version (11.0.5.32794) without issue. That doesn't help you directly, I know, but I doubt your update is to blame. I note you're saying that importing and exporting the OBJ made in Blender fixes the problem, and I suspect the Blender export is the root of your trouble here. The OBJ format is open to interpretation, to put it kindly. Stuff that can be read in one place won't necessarily work elsewhere, and I believe Blender's OBJ import/export is done by add-ons that have been known to *cough* get senile.

I don't know Blender well enough, but it may give you something to ask the experts about. There may be better export options you could use.

Another trick for fixing troublesome OBJ files is to read them in UVMapper and re-save them.

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
I've had this problem with characters. Textured characters that I haven't used in forever. I'll finally decide to use them and call one up- and Poser can't find the obj for it and I end up with a ghost- the figure's listed but not to be seen.