• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Is anyone available to hire for an hour to help me set up Poser?

cosmasad

Hello,

I have upgraded from Poser 11 to 12 and need help transferring my content. I have gotten instructions from people at the Renderosity forum but would really prefer to work with someone one-on-one to do it remotely. Plus I use Poser on 2 computers and I want them to be synced:oops:

Does anyone know someone that I could hire to help me? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Cosmas Demetriou

seachnasaigh

Energetic
You don't need to transfer your P11 content; you can add that runtime to P12, and both P11 and P12 can use it.
Open P12, and in the library window, click the icon which looks like a set of books with a + sign:
add a runtime to Poser - 2.PNG

Poser will open a Windows Explorer window; browse to the desired runtime folder and select it; here I am adding the runtime from P7 to P12's library.

Like you, I also use more than one computer. To "synch" their libraries, I copy the runtime from one computer to the other. You can do this via your home network, or via a flash drive or external hard drive.

You can accumulate several runtimes; these are on my workstation Cameron:
all runtimes showing.png

cosmasad

That is so helpful seachnasaigh. I appreciate the guidance and will try to do it this weekend and see how it goes. Thank you, again!

Ghostman

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Need to add that you should select the Parent folder of the Runtime. Not the Runtime itself.

cosmasad

Got it. If I want my 2 computers to share their content, would I put the runtime in my Dropbox folder and link them to that, or do I just copy the Runtime from one computer to the other every time I add content to one or the other?

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I don't know if using DropBox will work (someone else in the forum may know); I do know of a few folks who use an external hard drive in their network to host a shared runtime. I have always retained separate copies on each workstation for redundancy; if one of those hard drives fails, I can copy the runtime from the other computer onto a new replacement hard drive.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Copying the whole runtime every time you add something to one seems to be a bit much. And there's the possibility of forgetting, just one time, and then they're not the same. If both computers are on the network and running at the same time, I think it would be better to share the runtimes to the network, but better yet is a single external drive, perhaps a NAS, and both connect to that runtime...and perhaps mirror that to another for backup's sake, or have a NAS with multiple drives and setup mirroring with a RAID configuration.

Dana

cosmasad

Hmmmm... the 2 computers are NOT on the same network and don't run at the same time. One is at work and the other is at home. That's why I was thinking of putting the Runtime folder in Dropbox and linking them to it.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Hmmmm... the 2 computers are NOT on the same network and don't run at the same time. One is at work and the other is at home. That's why I was thinking of putting the Runtime folder in Dropbox and linking them to it.
OK, that does present a problem. I haven't tried it with Runtimes (haven't actually done much of anything with 3D for quite some time - although I do have most of my DS library backed up on it, but I did that manually, a little at a time), but I have a Western Digital MyCloud Home drive at home, 4TB. What you put on it is mirrored to the cloud. You need a password (strong one suggested) to connect to it, but can connect from any device that can get on the Internet, including a smartphone. I have my huge Pictures folder (and subfolders) on it and I can access them from anyplace with my phone, as well as my desktop and laptop computers at home (or wherever I have the laptop). You can't run applications on it, it is for storage, but since Poser is the actual application, I don't see this as an issue. You will only need to add content to the home version, and it will automatically mirror the addition(s) to the cloud.

Dana

Hornet3d

Wise

I have a similar set up, I have my runtimes on an two external drives on connected to each computer one I regard as main and the other a support pc. All my downloads are first added to the external drive on the main so that becomes the master copy. I then use Karen's Replicator to copy the changes from the main to support drive on a daily basis. As the replicator only copies the changes it is a quick process. I also have the replicator maintain a third drive as a safety backup. I use replicator as it is a an easy program to use and you can set the back up requirements to meet you needs and it also keeps the folder structure in a complete form. Any similar backup program should be able to do the same but I have used replicator for a number of years and it is free for personal use.

The difference here is that my computers have access to the same network so you will need a cloud setup that DanaTA suggests but I thought I would mention my experience to show it will work if setup correctly. I have had this particular set up running for well over fours years with no issues.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
@DanaTA I read you use a Western Digital MyCloud Home. I was thinking of getting one of those aswell for my runtime so I can use it when I'm at our holiday home. Are you satisfied with it?
I only have a standard external drive that I need to plug in but it would be awesome if I could put my whole humongous runtime on one drive and leave it home instead of having it travel with me everywhere.

DanaTA

Distinguished
@DanaTA I read you use a Western Digital MyCloud Home. I was thinking of getting one of those aswell for my runtime so I can use it when I'm at our holiday home. Are you satisfied with it?
I only have a standard external drive that I need to plug in but it would be awesome if I could put my whole humongous runtime on one drive and leave it home instead of having it travel with me everywhere.
Yes, I'm happy with it! I have it downstairs next to the router, plugged into it. The laptop is only on WiFi, not wired, and it's no problem. And I can access it via the Cloud when we're on vacation, 150 miles away from home! Like I said, even our phones can access it. I haven't tried it with a Runtime, but I don't see why it would be a problem.

Dana

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I would not use dropbox. I suggest a large, portable USB HD. Maybe 2 that are mirrors of each other. I like Western Digital drives in the 5tb range myself. I would also recommend creating a master external runtime to install all content into and linking it to poser through the library's ability to add external runtimes.
Also, you can edit the library setup .xml file in a text editor (I suggest Notepad++ ).

Hornet3d

Wise
I would not use dropbox. I suggest a large, portable USB HD. Maybe 2 that are mirrors of each other. I like Western Digital drives in the 5tb range myself. I would also recommend creating a master external runtime to install all content into and linking it to poser through the library's ability to add external runtimes.
Also, you can edit the library setup .xml file in a text editor (I suggest Notepad++ ).

My master runtime is held on a 1Tb Crucial MX500 SSD which is less that £100 here in the UK. As I it is only written to when I buy content and read when I use it in Poser is seems an ideal use of an SSD. My present runtime is slightly short of 500Gb so I have so it should remain in use for some time. I also strip out all of the documentation such as readmes and templates and store them on a separate drive so the runtime folder only holds what I need to use in Poser.

I have a stack of Crucial MX500 SSD most of 500Gig and they are in enclosures so I can move them between machines, this is possible the kiss of death but so far, four years for some, they have served me well.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I actually have multiple runtimes as I run multiple versions of Poser (Poser 7 Pro - Poser 2014 Pro). My oldest runtime dates back to Poser 4, and this is where almost all content that works in Poser 7 or earlier now goes. I have a separate Runtime for content needing Poser 9/2012, and a third for 2014. If I ever get a system to run Poser 11 this will likely be yet another runtime. I also have a separate development runtime, a Beta runtime, and an area I use to install new content with multiple temporary runtimes broken down by Figure, Sets, Vehicles, Aircraft, Animals, Creatures, Robots, etc... I use these to edit the content in the characters sub folder and rearrange it to my liking before adding it to my main runtimes (this way all of V4's clothes are in a V4 folder for example). Sadly with my oldest runtime I was not this prudent and I have a lot of items installed that I no longer know which specific figure they are for...the stores are gone, the product pages lost...and so it's guesswork on some things now.

My biggest recommendation to anyone just getting started would be to take a bit to figure out an organization system that works for you for content and start on it early. weather it is to use seperate external runtimes for scenes, plants, vehicles, or to move it around inside your runtime. If doing the later, be cautious, some items are not easily moved because of where they place the geometry for the figures. Ideally the geometry should be in the geometries folder and I never touch this, but some content, especially stuff from Smith Micro and the old CP store placed the geometry pretty much wherever they wanted, and if moved with brek the figure (unless you edit the CR2 to point at it - but this isn't for everyone).

Hornet3d

Wise
I actually have multiple runtimes as I run multiple versions of Poser (Poser 7 Pro - Poser 2014 Pro). My oldest runtime dates back to Poser 4, and this is where almost all content that works in Poser 7 or earlier now goes. I have a separate Runtime for content needing Poser 9/2012, and a third for 2014. If I ever get a system to run Poser 11 this will likely be yet another runtime. I also have a separate development runtime, a Beta runtime, and an area I use to install new content with multiple temporary runtimes broken down by Figure, Sets, Vehicles, Aircraft, Animals, Creatures, Robots, etc... I use these to edit the content in the characters sub folder and rearrange it to my liking before adding it to my main runtimes (this way all of V4's clothes are in a V4 folder for example). Sadly with my oldest runtime I was not this prudent and I have a lot of items installed that I no longer know which specific figure they are for...the stores are gone, the product pages lost...and so it's guesswork on some things now.

My biggest recommendation to anyone just getting started would be to take a bit to figure out an organization system that works for you for content and start on it early. weather it is to use seperate external runtimes for scenes, plants, vehicles, or to move it around inside your runtime. If doing the later, be cautious, some items are not easily moved because of where they place the geometry for the figures. Ideally the geometry should be in the geometries folder and I never touch this, but some content, especially stuff from Smith Micro and the old CP store placed the geometry pretty much wherever they wanted, and if moved with brek the figure (unless you edit the CR2 to point at it - but this isn't for everyone).

I have a similar structure to my runtimes with runtimes for figures such as V4 and Dawn. My transport folder became rather large so the content is broken down into separate runtimes for land, sea, air and space while my sci-fi runtimes are space craft, space and space locations.

I have a separate database that goes back to the year 2000 which gives all the details any content such as vendor, date of purchase and the product related details. Date of purchase is important as I have all my downloads backed up in year folders with sub folders for each month so that I can recover any content I have purchased over the last 21 years should I need to do so. A lot of my renders are held in backup in the same folder and sub folder structure although there are a fair few that did not make it as I did not think they were worth keeping.