• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Iray Render

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Can some one please share some really good render settings for Iray please? Having my computer tied up for 3+ hours on a promo render and having it still grainy is just not doing it for me.
I am stuck with CPU rendering as my graphics card turns out to be unsupported for Iray, (changing it is not an option).
Please help. Thanks

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
In theory, all PBR rendering engines will render forever, until you tell it to stop or set smaller number of SPPs. The render time is basically controlled by the amount of samples per pixel (SPP), and the default value in DS is 5000 if I remember this right. For quick test renders, you can reduce it down to 10 or 30 (more if your scene is dark). You can raise back for the final render, which is what I do.

I-ray is built for massively parallel rendering, which requires a GPU with as many streaming processors (SPs) are possible. If you can only render with CPU, it helps if it has many cores (4 physical cores = 8 logical cores with Intel Hyperthreading enabled). Of course, CPU will not give you much of speed because it only has a few cores. However, the new I-ray version now includes an option to enable AI-Denoiser, which is a digital noise cleaner based on artificial intelligence that significantly speeds up the process, requiring less SPPs to complete the job. I think that is currently in beta-testing with the DS version of I-ray. Not sure when it will be released, or if it can be used in the beta version. The Reallusion version of I-ray already ships with AI-Denoiser. As far as I know, this don't depend on a GPU, so it probably can be used with CPU rendering.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Can some one please share some really good render settings for Iray please? Having my computer tied up for 3+ hours on a promo render and having it still grainy is just not doing it for me.
I am stuck with CPU rendering as my graphics card turns out to be unsupported for Iray, (changing it is not an option).
Please help. Thanks

Unfortunately rendering with CPU is going to take a long time, I often had to leave renders running over night.
Good lighting does help, and as Ken has said the beta version of DS 4.11.0.236 which can be downloaded through DIM has a denoiser this can result in a render lacking in details but if you read the thread at Daz you may find some tips to help. Betas can be run alongside release versions.
If this is really causing you problems perhaps I could help I do have a nvidia card so renders are reasonably quick on my machine, if I have the elements you used in the scene all you would need to do is send me the scene file.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Like tparo said, lighting has a lot to do with noise in your scenes. Darker areas and shadows will have more noise. In addition, raytracing-heavy elements like caustics, semi-transparencies, and refraction over transparency can produce a LOT of noise, and also considerably slow your renders down. There isn't much you can do about raytracing, besides reducing their occurrences in your scenes, but there is something you can do about noise caused by lighting.

If you are having noise in dark areas and shadows that won't clean up even over longer render times, this is a clear sign of poor lighting. This is the same effect as when you shoot photos with a digital CCD camera in low light locations - a lot of noise will appear in the images. Add an additional light to illuminate the noisy area(s). It doesn't have to be strong. Even very low values will help clearing the noise. When done right, you should see immediate results, and you won't have to wait long times to clear the noise.

Hope this helps. :)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
can you post the image? I would have said lighting as well, as in most cases the default settings are usually ok unless you are going for special effects.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
can you post the image? I would have said lighting as well, as in most cases the default settings are usually ok unless you are going for special effects.
This is the image, took 3 and a bit hours and was only at some thing like 45% Lighting is from a HDRI (?) image
DazIray.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
yep, that will render long just using CPU, I think if you bumped the lighting up it would help heaps (just have to watch it doesn't blow out all that white)

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
yep, that will render long just using CPU, I think if you bumped the lighting up it would help heaps (just have to watch it doesn't blow out all that white)
*grummble* Just when I had got lighting I was happy with...lol

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Its always the way lol

You could try just rendering the horse separate from the background, it could help? (I know Harry's mane & tail can add to rendering time, especially the closer to camera it is)

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Its always the way lol

You could try just rendering the horse separate from the background, it could help? (I know Harry's mane & tail can add to rendering time, especially the closer to camera it is)
If it was just and "art piece" sure I'd naff about, but its a bloody promo! I could render this same scene in Poser Superfly in like 20min, that is what is pissing me off right now lol

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
see and my Superfly renders take forever! (I had to leave one cooking overnight last night lol)

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
see and my Superfly renders take forever! (I had to leave one cooking overnight last night lol)
LOL I have been known to leave a render cooking for up to two days sometimes, though that is more Firefly, I don't mind that when I am doing an arty render as they can be huge and complex, promo renders on the other hand are not so I tend to get a bit anssy lol

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
I found it absolutely necessary to look up the proper photographic lighting values to work in Iray, because not only does it use them, but the DS default settings are for the very brightest sunlight with no shadows at all. It's almost impossible to give you settings without knowing what kind of scene you're doing. Indoor or out? Dark surroundings or not? Very diffuse lighting or very directional lighting?

Oh, and here's a site with free HDRIs for you to test on their own, so you can choose the quickest one before you add any directional light.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@kobaltkween Very true - there is no 1 single light setting that will fit all scenes. Every case is a case. The best is start with basic 3-point lighting, and go from there. I always add 1 light at a time, so I know its contribution individually. The problem with loading multiple lights from a preset is that if there is something you don't like, it's hard to tell which light(s) is causing it.